Is Fox Trying Too Hard To Create A Marvel-esque EU? - AvPGalaxy Podcast #40

Started by Corporal Hicks, Sep 29, 2016, 08:08:12 AM

Author
Is Fox Trying Too Hard To Create A Marvel-esque EU? - AvPGalaxy Podcast #40 (Read 17,260 times)

SM

QuoteFirst AvP Comic = June 1st 1990
Predator 2 = November 19th 1990

The comics go further back to Dark Horse Presents #34 in November 1989.

Kurai

Quote from: SM on Oct 04, 2016, 08:28:58 AM

Wasn't that a solo Aliens story? I haven't read it and I'm not saying you're wrong, but it would be cool just for general posterity if we could get a screenshot of the crossover. :D

The first true AvP comic, as far as I can tell, was in Dark Horse Presents #36 in February 1990. Still before the first AvP comic book.  :)

Nostromo

Quote from: The Bonus Situation on Oct 03, 2016, 11:38:16 PM
You should give Sea of Sorrows a try. Its got minimal references to the films and their characters, making it truly an ORIGINAL story, unlike the other two books claim. Its also very well balanced: its got the build up, character development, suspense and then the action, unlike Out of the Shadows "And there was blood" and dropships start crashing already on the second page, or its cliche lines like "structure seems intact, they still have power", or River of Pain 75% of it was just describing the love interest between the main character and Anne, and then when the aliens come it was like 'oh, 15-20 were taken yesterday, oh those that stayed behind (about 50 people) were taken, it just ends very quickly.

ROFL at the name man :) nice one, and welcome to the boards. I'm stuck halfway through Sea of Sorrows since June, just as they're checking out the Ship underground...getting interesting. Need to finish it...too many graphic novels left lying around here..

SM

Quote from: Kurai on Oct 04, 2016, 10:01:02 AM
Quote from: SM on Oct 04, 2016, 08:28:58 AM

Wasn't that a solo Aliens story? I haven't read it and I'm not saying you're wrong, but it would be cool just for general posterity if we could get a screenshot of the crossover. :D

The first true AvP comic, as far as I can tell, was in Dark Horse Presents #36 in February 1990. Still before the first AvP comic book.  :)

Technically titled Aliens, but showed  a Queen laying eggs on a Predator ship.  DHP 34-36 was collected into AvP #0.

DarkXeno

To hard? The Expanded Universe is one of the best parts about this series in my opinion and then has a strong base to go off of, I like it.

SpreadEagleBeagle

I'm all for a rich and strong EU to keep it interesting, but only as long as they don't mix it into each of the movie universes of Alien (and Prometheus), Predator and AVP.

me

SM, my point was instead of going through all of this trouble to get things to tie together and copy what Marvel has done....Fox just needs to focus on making a good movie instead of spending time and effort in making an EU.  No EU...just good Predator and Alien movies.

SM

What difference would it make if they weren't trying to exploit their IP?

Kurai

Is Prometheus still a possible movie name or is it dead? I mean, Covenant is technically a sequel to it, but it's an Alien movie. What I mean is, do you think we have a chance of getting a new "Prometheus" movie, focusing solely on the Engineers without Aliens?

Quote from: SM on Oct 04, 2016, 10:51:11 AM
Technically titled Aliens, but showed  a Queen laying eggs on a Predator ship.  DHP 34-36 was collected into AvP #0.

That's really pretty cool, I think I have AvP #0 laying in a box somewhere but didn't realise it was a compilation. I have a vague memory of Predators chilling out at a table and lots of narration.

Predators drinking mead and such, I now want a movie where Predators are the inspiration for Norse mythology. If we're going to have a Marvel-esqu Cinematic Universe then we can have PredaThor! :D

SM

QuoteIs Prometheus still a possible movie name or is it dead? I mean, Covenant is technically a sequel to it, but it's an Alien movie. What I mean is, do you think we have a chance of getting a new "Prometheus" movie, focusing solely on the Engineers without Aliens?

Depends how Covenant plays.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed