Alien: Covenant Novelization

Started by Corporal Hicks, Sep 22, 2016, 03:30:14 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant Novelization (Read 48,279 times)

jeanj

jeanj

That would be great to see the adaptation of Spade's script.

Perfect-Organism

Awesome news!  ADF's earlier novels were really great and had their own superb sense of style.  I only wish that he would be afforded the possibility of doing an adaptation of Prometheus as well.  Given that Titan has found a niche business of churning out Alien novels, perhaps this is not that far fetched as one might think.  Perhaps if an extended version of the film comes out, it could be a good opportunity to get a novelization?

Hopefully we will get a Dark Horse graphic novel adaptation as well.  Ditto for Prometheus..

Nostromo

Nostromo

Do you guys prefer to read the novel or watch the movie first?

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Sep 26, 2016, 11:19:34 AM
This is really good news. I always love ADF's novelisations. Maybe Ridley spoke to him personally about it, since he has a huge amount of pull over the franchise atm.

There was a comment by Robert Meyer Burnett a few days ago who said the Covenant script was apparently "incredible". Hopefully that's the reason why ADF took this job. I don't think he does this kind of thing just for the money anymore.

QuoteWish they'd let him go back and do a Prometheous adapt as well for us English speaking folk

You could always learn Kanji if you're that desperate for a Prometheus novelization.

Mr. Clemens

Mr. Clemens

Wonderful news! As a kid, I read his ALIEN novelization religiously between '79 and '83 (when I finally got to see the film on VHS), and from my perspective, ADF is just as much Alien royalty as Scott, Giger, and Goldsmith.

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Sep 26, 2016, 04:12:03 PM
Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Sep 26, 2016, 11:19:34 AM
This is really good news. I always love ADF's novelisations. Maybe Ridley spoke to him personally about it, since he has a huge amount of pull over the franchise atm.

There was a comment by Robert Meyer Burnett a few days ago who said the Covenant script was apparently "incredible". Hopefully that's the reason why ADF took this job. I don't think he does this kind of thing just for the money anymore.

QuoteWish they'd let him go back and do a Prometheous adapt as well for us English speaking folk

You could always learn Kanji if you're that desperate for a Prometheus novelization.

Stop with the Logic and proper reasoning lmao

serbip1

serbip1

Quote from: Nostromo on Sep 26, 2016, 02:50:56 PM

Good question....I think I'd watch the movie first then read the novel, who knows...

Perfect-Organism

To read the book or watch the movie first?  I can't help myself so I would read the book if it came out early for sure, but it is a loaded question.  Reading the book takes away all suspense.  If you want to be scared during the film, then reading the book will deprive you of that.  But reading the book first, allows you to get a head start on the analysis of the film.  By the time you see it, you already have time to canalize plot points, and if the book has even more depth than the movie by including scenes that don't make the final cut, then this will enhance the joy of the film.  You'd be watching it with greater insight.  I'm going to read the book..

Kurai

Kurai

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Sep 26, 2016, 04:12:03 PM

If someone has it in E-book form, I could give a shot at a translation... Though I'm not sure about the legality of releasing something like that...

Good to know Covenant is getting an ADF novel adaption! Once more echoing everyone else in hoping that he gives Prometheus a go as well. Dark Horse comic adaptions wouldn't hurt either.  ;D

Mr. Clemens

Mr. Clemens

Part of me wonders if he's doing it for nostalgia's sake; he wrote the novelization of The Force Awakens, as well (he ghost-wrote Star Wars).

felix

felix

Great news. I collect novelizations at home . Have several boxes of them at home. Including a rare LETHAL WEAPON novelization.

japes01

japes01

Is he the only person in the world who thinks alien resurrection was better than alien 3

XENOMORPHOSIS

XENOMORPHOSIS

@ japes01

One the one hand most will say that Alien 3 despite its flaws hold well for a bleak artistic style in the vein of "Rildey Scott's Alien Haunted House in space Horror" in terms of artistic integrity Alien 3 has garnered some respect.

Whereas some others, a fair minority prefer Alien Resurrection's attempt to retread the "James Cameron Action-esque Roller Coaster, Pop Corn Entertainment angle" for this reason despite its many problems some may find more fun with Resurrection. Also he probably had more hate for Alien 3 for killing off Hicks, Newt, Bishop and Ripley at the end. :P

Question remains, does this mean that Alien Covenant has a script/story of quality that has impressed Alan Dean Foster enough to want to adapt it for a novelization, or could we just assume its solely for a pay check, wishful thinking I strongly hope its because he's seen something of value. 

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Nostromo on Sep 26, 2016, 02:50:56 PM

I'd have to say I'd read the novelization first. One because I'm a sucker for spoilers and two because of the website. lol

Quote from: XENOMORPHOSIS on Sep 27, 2016, 01:13:57 AM
Question remains, does this mean that Alien Covenant has a script/story of quality that has impressed Alan Dean Foster enough to want to adapt it for a novelization, or could we just assume its solely for a pay check, wishful thinking I strongly hope its because he's seen something of value. 

I think his experience working on 3 will have coloured his opinion somewhat. And whilst I do love Alien 3 despite its flaws, Resurrection is less of a mess of a film.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to chat to him properly about the novel after the film and find out a bit more backstory about his involvement.

Also, just noticed this comment on ADF's website:

QuoteI'm currently writing the novelization, plus some unique original material, for ALIEN:COVENANT. An unusual approach that's never been tried before in a novelization. Look for it, along with the film, next year.

Wonder what this could mean?

jeanj

jeanj

@japes01

No, James Cameron thinks that too.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed