Alien: Covenant Virtual Reality?

Started by Kimo, Sep 15, 2016, 07:09:22 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant Virtual Reality? (Read 15,584 times)

Kimo

Kimo

I've been playing about with VR and I have watched a few VR trailers. ( Conjuring 2 being a good one) and I have to say the presence and suspense in VR is mind blowing. I think this would work great for an alien film since it ticks all the right boxes... Now don't get me wrong I know people think VR is a bit of a gimmick, but if you never experience VR you cannot really judge it until you've tried it. Also just to note that VR trailers are not really like traditional trailers they are more like experiences then watching a standard trailer. Like if they do make one for Covenant, I can imagine it being that you are in the bowels of the Covenant and something is lurking in the background why it slowly creeps up on you and as you turn around the big old chap is right behind you. ( just think Dallas in the air duct scene in Alien)

Also just another question. When do you guys reckon we will start to see a standard trailer or a teaser for Covenant? I mean they have finished filming so I can imagine something popping up any day now.

Giger Beast

That'd be awesome, I'd be down for something like that.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Kimo on Sep 15, 2016, 07:09:22 PM
Also just another question. When do you guys reckon we will start to see a standard trailer or a teaser for Covenant? I mean they have finished filming so I can imagine something popping up any day now.

I'm hoping/expecting November/December time for the first proper trailer.

In regards to the topic, I don't know about VR trailer but I have heard there maybe something VR involved with the promotion. No further details though, I'm afraid.

windebieste

I am so looking forward to seeing the first trailer for the movie.  Standard or VR.  I don't care which...  Hell, bring 'em both on. 

Either way.  Can't wait.   ;D

Just bring it!

-Windebieste.

whiterabbit

It's been a while since they released any footage or information. Come on dudes; throw us a rib to chew on. Something alien related would be welcomed. Do we have to say please? :P

lv_226

Personally, waiting for any reveals is the smarter strategy here. Prometheus's promo material revealed way too much. If they can build curiosity and suspense through minimalism then come movie time the wait will be worth it. Less than a year to go!

motherfather

motherfather

Im curious - what happens in a VR movie/trailer? Surely it must be highly interactive so that you can influence things and not just wrap-around vision (Augmented Reality)

I know Sony are wanting to bring out a VR model for gaming. Is it like the gaming version, but instead of influencing gaming outcomes, you influence movie outcomes?

Kimo

Kimo

Quote from: motherfather on Sep 19, 2016, 05:01:45 PM
Im curious - what happens in a VR movie/trailer? Surely it must be highly interactive so that you can influence things and not just wrap-around vision (Augmented Reality)

I know Sony are wanting to bring out a VR model for gaming. Is it like the gaming version, but instead of influencing gaming outcomes, you influence movie outcomes?

Some of the VR trailers I've watched, they sort of put u in the the film. Like if your looking through the eyes of either the main character or someone similar. In the Conjuring 2 you are in the girls bedroom and you can look around you. then suddenly shit will start to happen. Like if you watch the non VR trailer of the Conjuring 2, you will see a scene were a loads of crosses on the wall start to turn upside down. Well in VR you are in that room and as you turn your head you see crazy shit start to happen as well as the crosses on the wall moving... Also other stuff will start to happen. like you will hear someone or something behind you and as you turn around and the maybe a ghost behind you, Causing you to have a mini heart attack... Some VR trailers are better made then others. some VR trailers will trigger when you interact or look at certain things and some are timed. But overall it is a different type of experience and I hope VR trailers become more popular.

Now with Alien Covenant has the potential to do something good with VR.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 19, 2016, 08:11:29 AM
Quote from: Kimo on Sep 15, 2016, 07:09:22 PM

I'm hoping/expecting November/December time for the first proper trailer.

In regards to the topic, I don't know about VR trailer but I have heard there maybe something VR involved with the promotion. No further details though, I'm afraid.

Fingers crossed for the VR. I know the was one for the Martian however it was not the best VR trailer I've seen. it all depends on the budget they put towards the VR side of it and the dedication of the people that make it.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Enoch on Sep 24, 2016, 10:13:50 PM
To keep things going in this absence of news :P

Well, Raffael Dickreuter served as  VR Experience
Previs Lead on Alien: Covenant.

Its not much, but... better than nothing

Via Enoch in the Social Media thread.

Corporal Hicks

Just got this e-mail from Fox regarding The Martian - VR Experience. Seems to be some sort of VR retelling of the film so perhaps this is what we have in-store for Alien: Covenant - VR Experience.

Pvt. Himmel

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 15, 2016, 03:20:47 PM
Just got this e-mail from Fox regarding The Martian - VR Experience. Seems to be some sort of VR retelling of the film so perhaps this is what we have in-store for Alien: Covenant - VR Experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkUX4bJh5gM

Nice find, Hicks. 8)

Kimo

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 15, 2016, 03:20:47 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkUX4bJh5gM
I remember a few months ago watching a VR trailer for The Martian on my S7 samsung phone. It wernt anything special, just a short low budget CGI video of you looking through the space suit why ur on the Mars surface. But looking at this new trailer looks like they put more effort in to it. will have to check this one out now I have a PSVR.

SamuelDL

It would be great for those who have VR glasses, but what I would really like is for them to do some spots like Prometheus, showing David8 and the TED conference. They were so good they could be part of the movie.

Corporal Hicks

They'll be some viral footage, don't worry! I know they've got some done.

The VR Experience is going to be a bit niche but I like they're doing it. Fortunately I have a friend who has one that I can use.

Pvt. Himmel

Awesome... I would love this, and hearing footsteps behind me turning around, and seeing a backburster chasing after me, or David 8 chasing me so he can experiment on me. 8)  8)  8)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed