Alien vs Predator: Life and Death

Started by Ultramorph, Aug 29, 2016, 02:40:59 AM

Author
Alien vs Predator: Life and Death (Read 22,683 times)

SM

SM

Broke is more understandable.

echobbase79

Quote from: SM on Dec 12, 2016, 10:19:40 PM
Broke is more understandable.

I actually found the Prometheus: Fire and Stone collected edition for forty-eight cents on Amazon. So I was able to afford that. It said it was in "very good" condition, but we'll see how true that is when I get it.

happypred

Ultramorph

Just read #1 on Comixology, and I'm starting to get excited for Life and Death again!

Spoiler
It's great to have Thiess back on art. He gives the xenos and the Predators moments to shine, and he's not overtly sexualizing any of the characters. That last page was pretty killer, and so were the xeno designs.

I was really surprised to see Lorimer get killed off so early. He never got to have his Burke moment, so points to Abnett for subverting what I was expecting. It was also nice to have Ahab back in the spotlight, and actual Alien vs Predator action in an AVP book.

I'm really hoping this series and Omega can pull Life and Death out of the spiral it sort of went into in the last few issues. Things are looking more promising now.
[close]

426Buddy

426Buddy

Read issue 1, much better than the last arc but I fear it's to little to late but we'll see.

As an alien fan I'm getting no joy out of this event at all, nothing about the depiction of the aliens has been gratifying. Its probably the worst depiction of the creatures I've ever seen and I don't really care that its the black goo's fault for making them goofy looking. As a Predator fan there has been some good stuff in the first arc and now in this issue the predator stuff is pretty great.

Spoiler

I found it somewhat strange that the predators killed Lorimer and Goode when they were unarmed and not really a potential threat, they even took their skulls as trophies. Not a big deal but a little out of the established behavior
[close]

The Alien Predator

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jan 13, 2017, 11:18:35 PM
Read issue 1, much better than the last arc but I fear it's to little to late but we'll see.

As an alien fan I'm getting no joy out of this event at all, nothing about the depiction of the aliens has been gratifying. Its probably the worst depiction of the creatures I've ever seen and I don't really care that its the black goo's fault for making them goofy looking. As a Predator fan there has been some good stuff in the first arc and now in this issue the predator stuff is pretty great.

Spoiler

I found it somewhat strange that the predators killed Lorimer and Goode when they were unarmed and not really a potential threat, they even took their skulls as trophies. Not a big deal but a little out of the established behavior
[close]

The Predator's behaviour varies a lot.

Spoiler
In South China Sea (praised by many fans to be the best novel in the Predator franchise), the Predator fought a human armed with a knife while he was completely cloaked. He didn't disengage his cloak at all.

He also took the trophy of a man who committed suicide right in front of him.

Even in the Fire and Stone series, a man challenged a cloaked Ahab, only to be blasted by his plasma caster.

I think they only go "fair" when they fight the prey 'they' had their eyes on. It may be possible that he just offed Billy while cloaked and had a warrior hard-on for Arnold only.

So, Goode and Lorimer where just obstacles that the aliens kicked out of the way. Think of it as culling their prey until they had the ones they want, that's perhaps when they play by the classic "rules" we're familiar with.
[close]

426Buddy

426Buddy

Interesting about SCS, I've not read it because of its
availability sadly.

Spoiler
And I'm okay with the preds killing them but it did make me pause for a moment. have predators ever killed a completely unarmed person before? I'm trying to think but can't find any examples
[close]

happypred

Predators are also individuals

Some are more rule-bound than otherd

In SCS, I think the Predator knew the "man" could see him (the man had been infected/enhanced by an alien pathogen)

The Alien Predator

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jan 13, 2017, 11:34:21 PM
Interesting about SCS, I've not read it because of its
availability sadly.

Spoiler
And I'm okay with the preds killing them but it did make me pause for a moment. have predators ever killed a completely unarmed person before? I'm trying to think but can't find any examples
[close]

Those moments in SCS actually made me pause too.

Spoiler
Like, I never saw a Predator take a suicide victim's skull. I know he was going for the guy because he was the leader of an army who put up a great fight for him. Maybe that's why he took it, he did spare the life of some cowardly teen who refused to pick up a gun that the Predator tried to place in his hand. XD Also in SCS, the masks record their hunts because there's a scene where he chills in his space ship and watches others hunting. You get brief glimpses on very alien worlds and prey and some even sapient and technological.

And yes, we've seen Predators kill unarmed things before. In fact, in one of the comics set in WW1, I think a Predator killed an unarmed and cowardly general who was pushed out of the trenches by his angry soldiers for demanding they go and die fighting.
[close]

Also, like happypred said, they're individuals so some may even cheat. I remember a short story where a Predator stole another's trophy and got busted doing so eventually.

It didn't turn out for him, he was left on the world naked and unarmed as a swarm of Aliens approached.  :laugh:

Regarding the infected guy, I don't think the Predator may have known at first but probably figured it out because the guy put up a good fight.

Also wasn't there a woman that was charging at him with a machete and he just blasted her arm off with a plasma shot? I don't recall her firing.

Plus that assassin who sliced his Achilles Heel, intending to drop him down but realised that the alien anatomy was totally different from us. He was rewarded for this amazing discovery with a spear through the back and left to rot, not trophy was taken.

So, like you said, it depends on the individual. Some other Predator would've thought the sneaky little human was a badass for slicing his heel with a knife and instantly ripped his skull and spine out right there.

Russ840

Russ840

I so need to read South China Sea.

SM

SM

Spoiler
Don't see much of an issue with the Predator killing Lorimer and Goode.  They were on a military ship, looking for weapons.  It's hardly a stretch.
[close]

Ultramorph

Dark Horse has a preview up of #2. Beware of spoilers.
http://www.darkhorse.com/Comics/29-810/Alien-vs-Predator-Life-and-Death-2
Spoiler
I'm really hoping this series saves Life and Death. The first issue was pretty solid, and I'm down for more Ahab.
[close]

happypred

happypred

Looks interesting

Spoiler

[close]

Corporal Hicks

I'm actually really looking forward to this issue. I'm really happy to see Thies back for the art.

banecat

banecat

i do like the art thies did on predator life and death

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed