Callie Hernandez Talks Alien: Covenant

Started by Corporal Hicks, Aug 01, 2016, 08:16:09 PM

Author
Callie Hernandez Talks Alien: Covenant (Read 19,561 times)

whiterabbit

The Blair witch was boring and nauseating. Anyone who says it was scary doesn't get out of the basement enough.

SiL

SiL

He meant the new one.

The old one was scary. People who disagree don't get out of the basement enough.

PRJ_since1990

I am seriously concerned he is trying to overcompensate for Prometheus, and in turn, belittle Alien. As a prequel in a series, it should help build up to what is coming in the timeline, not out do it. Like, oh, Alien had one creature in it, but Alien Covenant has Aliens running all over the place. It's going to scare the crap out of everyone. Alien for today's generation? Tell them to go watch the original. If they can't stand it because of the dated tech, smack em around until they realize what a good film is made of.

426Buddy

426Buddy

It is interesting when you think about it. The alien has less than 4 minutes screen time in alien. I watched alien last night and it occurred to me how little we see the actual creature. Godzilla had 10 minutes of screen time in G14 and people claimed it was barely a g movie at all.

SiL

SiL

It's not the time, it's how it's used.

Once Kane gets whacked the Alien is always on the audience's mind. There's never a moment in the finished picture where people just sit about talking about irrelevant shit -- it's always "How do we kill it?" "How do we survive?" "Well f**k the dude was an android how about we just f**king leave now yeah?"

It's like with the original Jurassic Park. That movie is over two hours long and there are dinosaurs for exactly 15 minutes, but whenever people find that out they say "Bullshit, really? I thought it was a lot more." Why? Because it was used properly and the film was still conscious of the dinosaurs when they weren't on-screen.

With Godzilla, the movie is about two giant insects crossing America to make baby insects. As they finally meet and make sweet love, some giant lizard comes up and murders both of them. And that's it. For 80% of the movie, Godzilla's entire contribution to the plot amounts to "And meanwhile, Godzilla is in the water swimming/waiting." It doesn't feel like a G movie because he has zero influence on the plot until the very end.

Movie monsters need as much off-screen presence as they do on-screen presence. Which is something every Alien movie from A3 onwards, including Prometheus, has been f**king awful at.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Aug 01, 2016, 10:01:32 PM
Lol. Alien: Covenant will look gorgeous, courtesy of Ridley and Dariusz. Not remotely down and dirty like... that.

We had perfect and pristine with Prometheus. Personally I'd very much like to return to that lived in and used kind of appearance from the Alien films. If what we've heard of the sets is any indication, it maybe heading that way.

Quote from: SiL on Aug 01, 2016, 11:40:51 PM
He meant the new one.

The old one was scary. People who disagree don't get out of the basement enough.

Oh man, I love the first Blair Witch. Very very good horror. Perfect example of letting your mind run rampant and scare itself. The new one doesn't look too shabby either, to be fair. Might stray to far into the "homage" area though.

Quote from: SiL on Aug 02, 2016, 01:25:35 AM
It's not the time, it's how it's used.

snip

Movie monsters need as much off-screen presence as they do on-screen presence. Which is something every Alien movie from A3 onwards, including Prometheus, has been f**king awful at.

Perfectly said on all counts. It's funny because these kind of conversations always make me think back to Creative Assembly talking about dissecting the film and how people have all these various impressions of the Alien in their head from Alien and it's not something that's seen on screen because of how little you actually see of it.

markweatherill

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 01, 2016, 08:16:09 PM
  and then he's like [in British accent], 'Turn on the hydraulics.' Then you're like, what is he talking about? Then it's suddenly shaking and you're like, 'Oh, that's what he means.'

I was like, can't anyone talk properly any more?

Imbrie

Quote from: markweatherill on Aug 02, 2016, 10:22:03 AM
  and then he's like [in British accent], 'Turn on the hydraulics.' Then you're like, what is he talking about? Then it's suddenly shaking and you're like, 'Oh, that's what he means.'

I was like, can't anyone talk properly any more?

Like, I know, like, right?

T Dog

We had perfect and pristine with Prometheus. Personally I'd very much like to return to that lived in and used kind of appearance from the Alien films. If what we've heard of the sets is any indication, it maybe heading that way.
Well after a certain trillion dollar expedition went tits up I don't think there's going to be a lot of cash in the kitty for the most pristine technology. Even after the Yutani merger!

Zenstoren

Great comment.

acrediblesource

they should really start teasing the f**k out of this movie right now! I mean WE NEED A POSTER!

Kronnang_Dunn

Kronnang_Dunn

<p>When asked if seeing the Aliens in real life destroyed the illusion, she responded: <em>"No, it was just as terrifying as you would ever imagine it to be."</em> She was also asked about her character name but Hernandez doesn't divulge, saying that <em>"I want to just tell you but I don't know if I'll get completely reprimanded for that."</em></p>

:o

I don't know about you guys, but I am getting very very strong vibes of a Lambert style character here (based on Hernandez' acting bits from the new Blair Witch movie trailer).

Dunno... I am feeling that her character may end up being killed by one (or ganged by several) of the new xeno in some guro-murderotic-gorish rape scene like the one from Alien...  :o

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: acrediblesource on Aug 03, 2016, 03:53:06 AM
they should really start teasing the f**k out of this movie right now! I mean WE NEED A POSTER!

I don't expect a poster or trailer until November/December time. The only promotional stuff we had from Prometheus by now (they're running a similar timeline) was the logo from the Productions Expo and we've already got a logo/title card style thing.

SuicideDoors

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 03, 2016, 07:42:14 AM
Quote from: acrediblesource on Aug 03, 2016, 03:53:06 AM

I don't expect a poster or trailer until November/December time. The only promotional stuff we had from Prometheus by now (they're running a similar timeline) was the logo from the Productions Expo and we've already got a logo/title card style thing.

Can you recall whether the viral stuff was before or after the teaser? Tbh I'd expect a teaser maybe a little bit sooner, just because films like Dunkirk and Kong and Justice League are getting substantial material and they're realising roughly same time next year. But who knows! That's just the optimist in me.

Corporal Hicks

We got the TED talk in Feb followed by the Weyland Industries website in March.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed