Scorn - Very Giger-esque New Game on Steam Greenlight

Started by Olde, Jun 30, 2016, 01:43:00 AM

Author
Scorn - Very Giger-esque New Game on Steam Greenlight (Read 31,924 times)

Xenomania

Xenomania

Only about 5000 short of 200K, not bad!

Corporal Hicks

Recent update.

QuoteHey everyone,

We've been quiet for a while since we had a lot of Kickstarter aftermath to deal with, but we'd like to let you know that we're still alive and kicking. Of course, the main reason for the extended radio silence is that we have tons of work to do on the game.

Rethinking our designs and making detailed plans for the entire game took us quite some time, and it will be an ongoing effort to fit all the pieces of the puzzle together. Considerable amount of time was spent to analyze all the feedback we got from the players who got their hands on the demo.

We stripped some of the levels down entirely, in order to add additional layers of polish to the entire environment. We also took some time to rethink puzzles, improve animations, overall gameplay and immersion.

There's a long road ahead of us, and everything will be done in iterations, rebuilding the game from ground up. Although it doesn't sound like much, it's pretty important to do things in certain order so we could do as much as possible with the resources that we have.

We're still trying to keep all our communication channels spoiler-free, so don't expect loads of spoiler material. It was hard enough to make the demo spoiler-free, so we would rather show less than risk to spoil the game for players. Also, we will try to answer any messages sent our way, but delays are expected as we're focusing on the game.

Here are some fresh screens of our work in progress for the levels you have yet to see.

Gruyères

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 04, 2017, 08:37:59 AM
Recent update.

As much as I'm really hyped for the game I don't really see the ominous world building they promised in the previous (before last KS campaign) trailers. Let's hope for the best, and not only corridor-hall puzzle solving!

Corporal Hicks

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1777595379/scorn-part-1-of-2-dasein/posts/2094154?ref=backer_project_update

QuoteHolidays are (finally) behind us, and we're back to finish what we started. A lot of the stuff that's not development related is now out of the way and we're ready for a development marathon run. Everything is currently on schedule and we hope for a smooth sailing in the foreseeable future.

Meanwhile, we had a few closed tests as we're optimizing player experience and balancing difficulty in first couple of levels. Apart from that, we're still ironing out the game design and our art team is doing asset revisions in order to bring you the very best Scorn experience.

And now, ladies and gentlemen, since you were so curious about the soundtrack for Scorn...

Our composer Adis Kutkut (Aethek) has been relentlessly working on soundscapes for Scorn. He has prepared two preview tracks for your listening pleasure.

https://soundcloud.com/aethek/aethek-scorn-structure223
https://soundcloud.com/aethek/aethek-scorn-cleansing

Olde

Thanks for this, I really dig the first track.

TheRaven

This is a game I'm currently stalking the hell out of, it's certainly amazing to look at all the detail in the environments

Olde

QuoteProject update 3
March 19, 2018

I'd like to let you know that we are all alive, well and neck deep in to-do lists. Yes, it's been two months since we posted any updates, but the truth is that we had a whole lotta ground to cover and I have to remind you - we are still a small team.

First of all we dove deep into production, as we aready mentioned in some of the previous posts. Hard work and other standard stuff aside, we're doing well at the moment, without any major hiccups.

We are also trying to cover a lot of ground and part of our team is currently at GDC talking to various veteran game developers in order to harness their knowledge, so we could proceed with further development as smooth as possible.

Instead of our standard lavish visuals we decided to show you something that is equally important in presenting the game's world and its functionality. Different concepts of utilitarian tools and many variations we need for the game's various interfaces and puzzles.

Here are some of the designs in various stages from sketch to finished concepts:

1. Variations of the player interface

2. Different controls for the interface

3. Mechanical part of the puzzle

Source: https://scorn-game.com/blogs/news/project-update-3

OpenMaw

Quote from: Gruyères on Dec 04, 2017, 09:35:25 PM
As much as I'm really hyped for the game I don't really see the ominous world building they promised in the previous (before last KS campaign) trailers. Let's hope for the best, and not only corridor-hall puzzle solving!

There's actually quite a bit going on in the world if you really break it down. There's some kind of a sickness/disease spreading across things. I've likened it to Giger's world being eaten by Beksinski world.

Gruyères

Quote from: OpenMaw on May 15, 2018, 04:00:10 AM
There's actually quite a bit going on in the world if you really break it down. There's some kind of a sickness/disease spreading across things. I've likened it to Giger's world being eaten by Beksinski world.

Aesthetically yes, I see where you're coming from. But if you watch the previous trailers, it looked like it would be more *huge*, opened and grandiose. That was my main concern. Don't get me wrong, I've supported it and I'll play the heck of it, it is quite unique :) Let's see how it goes.

Gruyères

New update. Expecting Major Update (!!) in the end of july.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1777595379/scorn-part-1-of-2-dasein/posts/2206796

QuoteHey everyone!

After a long(er) pause we've taken some time to make some videos of our artists working, so you could witness the creation of our world.

But, first of all, let us explain why it took us longer than one month. We need to dedicate extra time to set up and record footage for updates like this one. Since we are a relatively small team these tasks take away team members from their scheduled priority tasks and we always try to be as pragmatic and resources conscious as possible, especially at this stage of production. So, as always we're game development first, everything else second as we're aiming to create the best possible experience for you guys. 

Small 3D artist videos inside the upper link.

Predboy

After the massive failure that was Agony, I'm not holding my breath on this game. Hopefully I'm proven wrong though.

Deathbearer

Quote from: Predboy on Jun 06, 2018, 08:24:39 PM
After the massive failure that was Agony, I'm not holding my breath on this game. Hopefully I'm proven wrong though.
Different developer, but I can see why. Kickstarter is a crapshoot.

Corporal Hicks

New update.

QuoteHello everyone,
We have another significant update on the development of Scorn. There is a lot of info we need to disclose so we are going to cut straight to the point. We have a good/bad situation on our hands, predominantly good.

The Good

We managed to sign an excellent deal with the great investment fund and acquire additional funds for the development of Scorn.

The fund in question is very hands-off regarding creative elements of the game, and that was the primary reason why we decided to go through with the deal. Creative freedom is the most important aspect for us as a studio. From the very beginning of the project we wanted to create a game without too many compromises, and that indeed isn't an easy task.

With this new deal, we are in an excellent position to create much better quality, fully realized game.

A single compromise we did make was to split the game into two parts. Cynical people were saying we are just doing that to make more money, but it couldn't be further from the truth. It was a necessity if we wanted to finish the game with this kind of high fidelity, scope, and modest budget, which partly came from our backers.

The newly acquired resources will enable us to the develop Scorn as intended from start to finish, the whole experience, not just the first part.

There's been a lot of debate recently with many "not-so-positive" stories about the quality of indie games, especially those funded through the Kickstarter. It's somewhat understandable why these kinds of things happen, as game development takes a lot of dedication, perseverance and stamina. Since we started this project our top priority was to create the best game possible. During this time, we have faced many hardships, but our goal remained the same. We have never faltered, and we will stick to our motto, making the best game possible. We will never release something subpar and call it a day.

The Bad

Making the whole game is going to take more time. Scorn Part 1 of 2: Dasein will not be released this year.

We know that some of you are going to be understandably disappointed as you were eagerly awaiting Scorn Part 1 of 2: Dasein in October 2018. And although we understand that, we still think that this new deal is the best course of action for us and ultimately the players as it will enable us to develop a better game. The upside is that you won't be left waiting on a cliffhanger for part 2.

Now you will experience the game from start to finish, as intended, but at a later date that is yet to be announced.

For Our Backers

As we genuinely appreciate the constant support that we received from each and every one of you Kickstarter and Brightlocker backers we decided the following:

All backers will receive the FULL game and, depending on the reward tiers they opted for, the whole soundtrack and expanded art book, respectively. That means twice more content and more value than you initially pledge for, affecting both digital and physical rewards.

However, we also realize that some of you will not be satisfied with this development and feel that this is not what you signed up for. For everyone who wants to cancel their pledge and get their money back, we are offering a full refund at any time during the development. That is the least we can do. You can receive a refund directly to the same credit card you pledged on KS, if that card hasn't expired. If the card expired, you will need to provide us with a Pay Pal account. Please understand that these rules are set by KS and we can't change them. We will process refunds as soon as possible, but please allow two to four weeks before the refunds reach your accounts.

We will continue keeping you updated, you can expect the next update sometime in October when we will disclose more information about the future. We realize that you may have additional questions and we will do our best to answer every single message that reaches us through Kickstarter, Brightlocker, Facebook, Twitter, Steam, and email.

Once again, thank you for sticking with us this far. We will give our best to make your wait worthwhile and create a great game.

Gruyères

I did see this happening. Oh well! At least we get the whole game (before 2020 I hope)  :-X

Xenomania

Xenomania

The wording is a bit ambiguous to me, but there will be only one "full" release instead of two parts now (which didn't really bother me before)?

Anyway, wicked new art. ;D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed