First Look at Danny McBride in Alien: Covenant!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jun 21, 2016, 01:08:18 PM

Author
First Look at Danny McBride in Alien: Covenant! (Read 32,941 times)

whiterabbit

Quote from: NickisSmart on Jun 22, 2016, 01:45:44 AM
Quote from: Himmelblau on Jun 22, 2016, 12:37:27 AM
I bet he's saying to Danny.... " Now it will explode through your chest onto the console." :laugh:

^
haha. Best unsubstantiated theory yet. :)

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jun 21, 2016, 09:20:18 PM
At one point Ripley and Parker jokingly asks Brett whether he's some kind of parrot because he keeps saying "right". And it turns out Brett actually has a toy parrot on a little perch hanging over his console/workdesk. Brett also built all these little wooden sailing ship models.

You have got to love all the tiny bits of detail in Alien. It's world building on such a small scale but it works just so incredibly well!

What do we think? McBride is the pilot?

PsyKore

McBride has an engineer (not the blue type of engineer) look about him. The poor guy who has go down to the ships den and fix everything. :laugh: I dunno, just guessing.

I do love the retro styling of the console, though.

szkoki

lovely sets

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jun 22, 2016, 04:46:38 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jun 22, 2016, 06:05:49 AM
What do we think? McBride is the pilot?

He's just the captain.

You reckon? I'm not getting a command vibe.

NickisSmart

He's definitely a Parker-type character. Comic relief, to get 3 laughs from the audience before he dies. :P

Perfect-Organism

Parker-type.  Maybe Hudson-type?  Fodder + laughs.  Agreed.

whiterabbit

All this talk about types is disconcerting. I want a movie with new characters, not recycled ones from Alien.

Perfect-Organism

I don't think there is an implication that these characters will be any way like the earlier characters, rather that those characters were sort of archetypes of humour.  You've got the guy who acts tough but is really a chicken, and you've got the guy who is rough around the edges who is a reflection of the "common people".  I expect a lot of great comic relief from Danny McBride, and in some ways I hope they don't take his comedy too far.

NickisSmart

Quote from: whiterabbit on Jun 25, 2016, 08:38:59 AM
All this talk about types is disconcerting. I want a movie with new characters, not recycled ones from Alien.

They're called writing tropes. Alien used stock characters but breathed life into them, anyways, considering how economical and pragmatic that film is, regarding how it treats its cast. Alien had Parker and Brett, Hamlet had Rosencrantz and Gildenstern. Recycling is part of the game. As long as it isn't a literal palimpsest, with Scott tracing over Alien, I don't care.

whiterabbit

Quote from: NickisSmart on Jun 25, 2016, 07:26:46 PMAs long as it isn't a literal palimpsest, with Scott tracing over Alien, I don't care.
Yea but that's what's disconcerting. He's essentially bringing back the boy because it's what we want. He's introducing the bitches mother and even introducing Ripley's mother. What if at the end of the movie all the people from Alien are abandon on Paradise as children? The chatter here sounds exactly like that and if Ridley's listening he may very well give us that. I mean dude's, it's a colony ship. How do we know it's not that mother ship of the entire crew of the Nostromo?

NickisSmart

Quote from: whiterabbit on Jun 25, 2016, 09:32:21 PM
Quote from: NickisSmart on Jun 25, 2016, 07:26:46 PMAs long as it isn't a literal palimpsest, with Scott tracing over Alien, I don't care.
Yea but that's what's disconcerting. He's essentially bringing back the boy because it's what we want. He's introducing the bitches mother and even introducing Ripley's mother. What if at the end of the movie all the people from Alien are abandon on Paradise as children? The chatter here sounds exactly like that and if Ridley's listening he may very well give us that. I mean dude's, it's a colony ship. How do we know it's not that mother ship of the entire crew of the Nostromo?

I don't know about you, but I'd rather have Scott give me what I want and expect, which is familiar elements used in unexpected, clever and funny ways. I don't want a repeat of the Counsellor, which, while it was rather left-field and experimental, made me crave for something a tad more conventional (and I really liked that film).

chainsawsquirrel

BishopShouldGo

As funny as Danny is, there are shades of darkness in his comedic roles. He made me feel very uncomfortable in Pineapple Express.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed