I'm going to just say it.

Started by Xenofitch06, Jun 10, 2016, 06:16:30 AM

Author
I'm going to just say it. (Read 31,068 times)

Giger Beast

Giger Beast

Quote from: [BAM] Yojimbo on Jun 21, 2016, 07:18:55 AM
Someone should make a video edit of Randy's interviews with Burke constantly interrupting with saying "This is so nuts. I mean, listen - listen to what you're saying. It's paranoid delusion. How - It's really sad. It's pathetic."
;D

That sounds amazing.

general_bradly

general_bradly

That does sound hilarious. I might pay to see that parody!! Shame on Randy for lying to us fans!!

I still look at those promos and demos and wish for that game!! It looked epic and that's what we all thought we were getting an epic game.

We didn't get that.

Once I got over the devastation of ACM not being what we were promised, not looking like the demos, not having a good story, than I actually enjoyed it for what it is. A fun Aliens based FPS shooter. The good things about the game great iconic levels, great iconic weapons + new weapons that actually fit into the universe, customization & bug hunt mode borders on epic for me, wish there were more bug hunt maps!!!!!!!!

Fighting hordes/waves of aliens in Hadley's Hope is as good as it gets for me. AVP 3's bughunt/survival mode is pure rubbish in comparison. AVP 3 is a good game I just prefer being a marine in ACM than being a marine in AVP 3.

Wish ACM was better but I enjoy it. It leaves me wanting more, I hope we will get a similar (but better!) game in the future.

Inverse Effect

Inverse Effect

Quote from: Xenofitch06 on Jun 12, 2016, 04:41:44 AM
I think ACM more than deserves some praise considering how hated and trashed it is by almost everybody.

I think Bug hunt is entertaining with a buddy

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I thought the multiplayer was quite fun. We had some great nights playing it with folk from the site.

[BAM] Yojimbo

[BAM] Yojimbo

Quote from: Giger Beast on Jun 24, 2016, 06:28:17 AM
Quote from: [BAM] Yojimbo on Jun 21, 2016, 07:18:55 AM
Someone should make a video edit of Randy's interviews with Burke constantly interrupting with saying "This is so nuts. I mean, listen - listen to what you're saying. It's paranoid delusion. How - It's really sad. It's pathetic."
;D

That sounds amazing.

Someone make this happen. PLEASE :D

Deathbearer

Deathbearer

I never finished A:CM. I managed to stomach the mediocrity until at one point when you see the Space Jockey your guy's like "oh my god" and the other dude says "that's not your god" and I just took a moment to let that line sink in. Holy shit that was bad writing. I don't know who thought that was a good line but they don't deserve the gift of life. Immediately quit the game and never looked back.

PVTDukeMorrison

PVTDukeMorrison

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 04, 2016, 08:33:04 AM
I thought the multiplayer was quite fun. We had some great nights playing it with folk from the site.
Multiplayer (despite all the unpolished and broken shit that plagued it) was surprisingly fun, that's one thing I do miss. Maps were too open though, needed more claustrophobic environments, the Hive map from the movie map pack was the best map in the game

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

As someone here said, there is no problem with liking the game or enjoying it but it was definitely a broken game.

I looked forward to this game for years and like the majority of fans, I was utterly disappointed. We are not sour grapes for expecting a decent game and it didn't help that Randy hyped the game all the way to stars. The demo was actually better than the game which means there was false advertisement involved as well.

What did we expect? That is simple. A decent game with a decent story, and decent gameplay. We got none of that, the game was just full of homages and poor recreations of the colony and derelict, the game was trying to thrive on nostalgia. And there was no explanation for the new Alien castes either, these Spitters and Crushers just come out of nowhere.

Surprisingly though, I did enjoy some of the game, the Raven part was definitely only level worth playing but even that is flawed. Multiplayer is the games only saving grace and I enjoyed it to some extent.

There is basically three camps, you got the fans that love game which is in the minority, sorry but it is true. You got the fans that hate or atleast dislike it which is probably the majority, and then there is those that consider it a "so bad its good" game. I'm probably inbetween disliking it and thinking its not bad in some places.

Isolation was a brilliant game but you need to get out of the "fps shooter/action" mindset because its a survival horror and meant to be played differently, and if you don't like survival horrors then it is not going to be a surprise if you don't like it, whichof course is fine.

We all like different things and that is ok.

Matriarch

Matriarch

ACM was a sorry excuse for a game. Although I think that it certainly had its moments like in the sewers, most of the game was unpolished as hell. Shit story, graphics looking like the good ole PS2 days, and just generic combat. Combining that with the amount of promises that were made formed just a absolute shit storm over this game. The weapons that were added were nice and the multiplayer was okay, but I still prefer Rebellions AVP 2010. I also think that it was incredibly easy. Like what kind of a boss fights allows for me to not even need to fire my weapon?

Chris!(($$))!

Chris!(($$))!

When AvP2010 came out we were disappointed. AvP2010 was released as a 6/10 game. With patches the PC version might be considered a 7/10 game MAYBE 7.5/10.

A:CM was a disgusting ugly boring mess of a game. I feel sorry for those of you who defend the game because it is absolute garbage. And it is MY opinion that one's man trash is NOT another man's treasure. Giving that game the 4.5/10 or whatever that it received is being generous. The only thing holding that game together is the brand. It is not a matter of expectations being blown out of proportion. Because we had our expectations up high for AvP2010 as well...

The fuming shit that is A:CM makes AvP2010 look like Half Life 3.

The story was LESS than fan-fiction quality. Most of us could put together a better story easily.
The gameplay was simplistic and boring with dumb AI both human characters and alien characters... Nearly all the weapons handled like shit.
The game did not do justice to Xenomorphs as it treated them as dumb cannon fodder which they have time after time proved they are not.
The graphics were such garbage they appeared to be cartoon like in nature... And with no good reason, its not like the game was putting engine resources towards an new innovative awesome lighting system that was promised or towards near real-life physics, gore or destruction.

It was just garbage.

As I said... I am so sorry for those of you defending the game. Because it doesn't deserve it. Gearbox certainly doesn't deserve it. And I almost feel bad now for Sega as Gearbox used them almost as bad as they treated us. For years we fans had been placing the blame on Sega for Gearbox not giving us any news on the game and we being left in the dark. I would have rather the game just been cancelled than what we ultimately got.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Chris!(($$))! on Oct 04, 2016, 02:36:22 AM

Perhaps you just haven't played it enough to really appreciate it.

PHANTOM

PHANTOM

I agree with you Local. At first I definitely wasn't feeling the game at all, but after a while it grew on me and I saw past it's flaws and enjoyed it for what it was. In the end it's closest thing we got to being in Aliens.

BTW does SEGA still have the rights?

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: PHANTOM on Oct 04, 2016, 08:51:46 PM
I agree with you Local.

Bless your heart.  :laugh:

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: Local Trouble on Oct 04, 2016, 04:48:16 PM
Quote from: Chris!(($$))! on Oct 04, 2016, 02:36:22 AM

Perhaps you just haven't played it enough to really appreciate it.

One would have to be a glutton for punishment.

Bughunter S. Thomson

Bughunter S. Thomson

I picked up the Limited Edition copy for 99p recently. And I didn't have to search for long - Every second hand games outlet has at least 5 copies sitting on shelves.I ale=ready had a digital copy but didn't feel it warranted taking up so much room on my hard drive.

Aliens: Colonial Marines was a crushing disappointment. I remember when the cinematic trailer dropped:

I was completely blown away. The true-to-film visuals, the music from Moon which worked perfectly. I was thinking "Is this the game I've always dreamed of? Will it finally feel like being a Colonial Marine?" Of course, I knew not to judge it based on a pre-rendered animation. But my hopes were high.

Those hopes seemed not misplaced when they showcased in-game footage. I was extremely hyped. Although I didn't preorder. The only game I've ever preordered was Majora's Mask. I tend to go for "Hey, this game is great, you should give it a try!" from friends rather than the same message from promotional material.

The developers made such promises, reassured us that they were devout Aliens fans, going deep into the universe and tech, and would deliver as a sequel to Aliens. And then it came out, and I was really dismayed to see all the negative reviews. But I bought it anyway, thinking my love for the franchise would push past the negativity. It didn't.

People talk about No Man's Sky being such a deceptive bit of promotion but Colonial Marines was far worse. At least No Man's Sky was just stripped down. A:CM was stripped down, broken and very cheap looking. It was a disgusting middle finger to fans, promising so much just to run away with the cash. It's boring, repetitive, uninspired, glitchy, the dialogue and voice acting is woeful, the character models are sub-par, the animation clunky and the AI is outshone by a pocket calculator. I can't find anything remotely fun about firing in the general direction of a group of enemies and watching them take turns to walk into your line of fire. It feels like a mod for a game published 10 years ago.

I really think both the games and movie industry need to have some kind of governing body which regulates these things. Sure, a developer can display game footage with the disclaimer "Not final product" but you'd think that would mean 'It'll be better than this, this is just a beta build' rather than 'We haven't worked out how to properly implement this yet.' If you are having problems including a gameplay mechanic in the final version, say so while showing the prototype footage. In the case of No Man's Sky, I think it was because the lies were so definitive - Sean Murray would be asked 'Is this going to be in the game?' to which he replied with a flat-out 'yes.'

The movie industry is just as bad. Comic book movies are the worst for this. I can't think of any other genre of film where there are scenes promised in a trailer that don't appear in the final cut. The trailer for Fant4stic was a joke. Then again, so was the movie.

If you heard a song you liked, and it was advertised to be from a new album, so you buy the album and it wasn't on there, you'd ask for your money back and there would be lawsuits. I don't see why the movies and games industry should be any different.

Tl:dr - A:CM is a terrible, cheap, unfinished game and a perfect example of a cancer eating away at the video games industry. But I bought it twice and completed it twice, so I'm a hypocritical consumer whore.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed