I'm going to just say it.

Started by Xenofitch06, Jun 10, 2016, 06:16:30 AM

Author
I'm going to just say it. (Read 31,012 times)

Darth Rinzler

Darth Rinzler

Quote from: Xenofitch06 on Jun 12, 2016, 02:57:10 AM
I know! At least you get to fight...LOL Unloke AI where you just hide and the game hopes you're terrified (I wasn't.). I can't be scared of a Xeno after 28 years of fandom. I'm numb to their "scary" factor.

I hate that its easy to hide from the alien, even on nightmare mode, which was the first mode i ever played it on, including with the kinect features all active.  I was kinda screwed since people were playing heavy metal by me, but i still made it through lol

Quote from: windebieste on Jun 12, 2016, 05:53:32 AM
Quote from: Xenofitch06 on Jun 12, 2016, 04:41:44 AM
I think ACM more than deserves some praise considering how hated and trashed it is by almost everybody.

Therein lies the problem.  GBX did deliver a sub-par game.  For up to 6 years many of us were expecting something a lot better than what was eventually on shelves.  Pitchford took every opportunity to hype up this game and declare how dedicated he and his team were to the Project.  None of that enthusiasm is present in the final product. 

It's not just a few people that were disappointed by the end product.  The overwhelming majority of Players canned it.  Of course, being badged with 'ALIENS' themes, characters and situations is enough to keep some Players appeased.  Good for you!  You got a game you are happy with.  The rest of us, however, who spend 6 years listening to Pitchford spin his fable were sorely disappointed upon the game's release. 

It's not enough for a game to wear all the badges and trappings of its source material.  It's got to deliver in other areas as well.  'A:CM's gameplay is no more sophisticated than 'Serious Sam'.  For the most basic kind of FPS experience that 'Serious Sam' delivers, it's a better game than 'A:CM'.   

I dont think it was subpar, i honestly don't know what happened but my copy of ACM worked fine, the enemies were a nightmare and were smart.  I died so many times its not funny.  I feel they made a great story especially taking into consideration Aliens:Infestation, which takes place hours - days before ACM, and ACM:SI.  I loved their attention to detail and refrences to other aliens stories.  I am pretty sure Keys was an infectoid, hence why he did what he did with the hand grenade, they had the pulse rifles used in AvP:Extinction, they also refrence the aliens fast adaptable capabilities from said game & aliens: once in a life time.  I also believe that the Raven was ether an alien created only using mutagenic fluids via exterior contamination OR it was a Pred Alien.  If you look at one of the pallets behind it, in the room it glues you in, youll see a big collection of Marine helemets, maybe even skulls.  Etherway the Raven was taking trophies.

Although alot of people didnt like acm, i dont think it was the majority, most the peoe that like it, or anything that tbey like that alot of people dont, just keep quiet to avoid being attacked.  Just on this website i was let known i should kill myself and a more zealous member followed me into every topic i was in just to let me know how stupid i am, and or other members.  Last i saw them they were fighting with a mod that told them to stop attacking me.

Financial wise acm is more successful than isolation.  This is one reason why i dont think tbe majority hates it, or at least gamers.  I think something went wrong in the disc production process which is why some people got lame gameplay.  I didnt have that problem, i was torn to pieces often on hardest setting.  The only thing i suppose i could wish for is if the evolved aliens had been fightable in storymode.

Quote from: Xenofitch06 on Jun 12, 2016, 07:23:17 AM
But you would be able to kill it. They're not that strong, as shown several times in the movies. No more than a normal human. So not being able to fight against it is just an annoying and unrealistic game choice.

They are actually really strong, isolation compliments acm well in tbat it gives a good idea howmuch more deadly the weapons used by tbe militaries are as opposed to civilian weapons.  .357 magnums are really powerful, yet they cant kill the alien.  Anytime you have seen an m16 take down an alien has been when it used a good portion of its clip, the variation of m16 we use now, which was in avp:r is real powerful compared to its first incarnation.  In all the lore we see aliens adapt for real heavy combat, including ACM.  When they get serious alot of people seriously die :)

Something cool you might not know is that the window the alien easily punches out in "Aliens" is armored quartz.  Fused quartz is really strong it can withstand 160,000 pounds per square inch of pressure pressed on it.  In real life we only have on type of steel that can do withstand better.

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jun 12, 2016, 03:20:04 PM
Take isolation out of the equation, Aliens:CM is the worst fps I've played in recent memory. Just comparing it to other shooters alone.

I'm all for the idea of the game, but it was all done so poorly... gameplay through graphics it was all below average. The story is so bad Fox doesn't even consider it canon anymore.  I would still love to get a great Aliens: Colonial Marines game, I've been waiting since the original ps2 game (that was canceled and never released.)

To each their own though, I know there has been games that I loved and everyone else seemed to hate.

Personally i feel isolation would had been better if it hadn't been an alien game.  I think its creepy enough being in deep space on a abandoned space station run by a coocoo computer that could kill you at anytime via droid legion.

Honestly where is everyone getting this information that ACM isnt canon?  Best answer i get is an inside source, but from what i have seen its not being made non-canon since a novel being written based of the avp tabletop war, and its supposed to explain how Crushers came too LV-426.

Xenofitch06

Xenofitch06

As someone who has adored DOOM since 1994, I can safely say I'm more than fine playing FPS without some drawn out, interrupting story mode.

windebieste

windebieste

Quote from: Darth Rinzler on Jun 12, 2016, 05:01:22 PMFinancial wise acm is more successful than isolation.  This is one reason why i dont think tbe majority hates it, or at least gamers.

'A:CM' was a super hyped up title.  It was supposed to be a dream game come true for fans.  The truth is, it was sold on hype.  A publisher's embargo prevented reviews appearing prior to release.  So everyone purchased it on faith that Pitchford was delivering something great!  Something that all fans could lovingly embrace.  The game sold a substantial amount of its copies on pre-order.

But no...  when the game hit the deck, it was garbage.  It scored a lowly 45 (average across all platforms) on Metacritic.  Most fans hate it and disown it.  Even Fox are stepping clear of the game and are only an official statement away from denouncing it as non-canon.* 

As a follow up title, of course 'ALIEN: Isolation' sales were down.  We were all very concerned this new Creative Assembly game would also suck.  A lot of people got burned by 'A:CM' so the pre-orders were low. We waited until the game was released and what a joy it was!  To finally be able to play a game that was in the spirit of the original movie!  What an excellent (if slightly flawed) and refreshing title it was. 

'A:I' scored an average of 80 on Metacritic.  You can't claim the discrepancy in scores for both games on just sales numbers alone.  If 'A:I' had been released first, it's sales would have doubled; but having been released on the tail of the mess that is 'A:CM' then people  waited.  Of course sales were low.  People were very cautious about 'A:I' - and rightfully so.

'A:CM' should have been a great game.  Sure, it's complete.  Sure, it works.  But beyond a heavy coating of 'ALIENS' themes, it has nothing to offer that you can't find done anywhere else; and done infinitely better.  Like in the original 'Doom'.

I'm glad that some people like it.  More power to you.  I'm not passing that kind of judgment.  On the other hand, don't expect me to swallow any bullshit that 'A:CM' is any good on sales figures alone.  After all, McDonald's is shit, too - and it sells. If you like it, fine.   Just don't think you can get away with telling anyone it's any good; because it isn't.  Just like 'A:CM', McDonalds is well marketed junk and just because it's popular doesn't make it any good.

-Windebieste.

*If Fox openly denounces 'A:CM', then they could do so with a new movie.  Get Blomkamp to make it. He's in a great position to remake 'ALIENS: Colonial Marines'.  After all, he wants to make a movie laden with themes from 'ALIENS'.  He should be working to retcon 'A:CM' instead of 'ALIEN 3'.  I'd be all over that with support.   No.  I don't want the narrative to wait 30 years just so Rippers and Co. can clamber on board with a shoe horned story.  An immediate follow up to expand upon the post LV-426 investigation is what's needed; 17 days after the failed marine mission is when a fresh 'ALIENS 2' should take place.  After all, an entire colony and a conestoga class ship with all on board has been lost.  What happens next is a story that begs to be told.  'A:CM' was on the right path - unfortunately it led us down the garden path straight to a vertical precipice.

Darth Rinzler

Darth Rinzler

Quote from: Xenofitch06 on Jun 12, 2016, 08:12:29 PM
As someone who has adored DOOM since 1994, I can safely say I'm more than fine playing FPS without some drawn out, interrupting story mode.

Which version of classic doom do you like?  Silent Doom looks good.  Its on the 32x i think.

THE CITY HUNTER

THE CITY HUNTER

Quote from: Scorpio on Jun 12, 2016, 06:50:36 AM
I would have preferred a tactical shooter than another FPS.  After a while, shooting at aliens becomes boring.  In the movie, the marines were constantly retreating and using tactics like sealing doors to survive, anyway.  The game has a few of these moments but not enough.  If it were more of that, and less run and gun, I would have liked it more.

Perhaps more like Alien Isolation, except less on the stealth aspects.
AVP Isolation

Darth Rinzler

Darth Rinzler

Quote from: windebieste on Jun 12, 2016, 11:06:21 PM
Quote from: Darth Rinzler on Jun 12, 2016, 05:01:22 PMFinancial wise acm is more successful than isolation.  This is one reason why i dont think tbe majority hates it, or at least gamers.

'A:CM' was a super hyped up title.  It was supposed to be a dream game come true for fans.  The truth is, it was sold on hype.  A publisher's embargo prevented reviews appearing prior to release.  So everyone purchased it on faith that Pitchford was delivering something great!  Something that all fans could lovingly embrace.  The game sold a substantial amount of its copies on pre-order.

But no...  when the game hit the deck, it was garbage.  It scored a lowly 45 (average across all platforms) on Metacritic.  Most fans hate it and disown it.  Even Fox are stepping clear of the game and are only an official statement away from denouncing it as non-canon.* 

As a follow up title, of course 'ALIEN: Isolation' sales were down.  We were all very concerned this new Creative Assembly game would also suck.  A lot of people got burned by 'A:CM' so the pre-orders were low. We waited until the game was released and what a joy it was!  To finally be able to play a game that was in the spirit of the original movie!  What an excellent (if slightly flawed) and refreshing title it was. 

'A:I' scored an average of 80 on Metacritic.  You can't claim the discrepancy in scores for both games on just sales numbers alone.  If 'A:I' had been released first, it's sales would have doubled; but having been released on the tail of the mess that is 'A:CM' then people  waited.  Of course sales were low.  People were very cautious about 'A:I' - and rightfully so.

'A:CM' should have been a great game.  Sure, it's complete.  Sure, it works.  But beyond a heavy coating of 'ALIENS' themes, it has nothing to offer that you can't find done anywhere else; and done infinitely better.  Like in the original 'Doom'.

I'm glad that some people like it.  More power to you.  I'm not passing that kind of judgment.  On the other hand, don't expect me to swallow any bullshit that 'A:CM' is any good on sales figures alone.  After all, McDonald's is shit, too - and it sells. If you like it, fine.   Just don't think you can get away with telling anyone it's any good; because it isn't.  Just like 'A:CM', McDonalds is well marketed junk and just because it's popular doesn't make it any good.

-Windebieste.

*If Fox openly denounces 'A:CM', then they could do so with a new movie.  Get Blomkamp to make it. He's in a great position to remake 'ALIENS: Colonial Marines'.  After all, he wants to make a movie laden with themes from 'ALIENS'.  He should be working to retcon 'A:CM' instead of 'ALIEN 3'.  I'd be all over that with support.   No.  I don't want the narrative to wait 30 years just so Rippers and Co. can clamber on board with a shoe horned story.  An immediate follow up to expand upon the post LV-426 investigation is what's needed; 17 days after the failed marine mission is when a fresh 'ALIENS 2' should take place.  After all, an entire colony and a conestoga class ship with all on board has been lost.  What happens next is a story that begs to be told.  'A:CM' was on the right path - unfortunately it led us down the garden path straight to a vertical precipice.

I wouldn't trust the professional reviewers, they gave it bad scores because they were paid to do so, to help Dead Space 3 sales i am sure.  They came out the same week.  Some reviewers didnt even try hard to lie about why they hated the game.  One review IGN gave was that the system version was even more inferior and doesnt even have easter eggs.  Thats bs because one of the achievements for it is to find an easter egg. 

This was one of the causes of Gamers Gate. 

I have seen that people did have tech issues with their game, i believe it was a problem caused by faulty manufacturing, theres no other reason why it would work fine for me.

See now days word of mouth is really powerful when it comes to movies and consumer goods.  And despite all the hate it got, review wise, it made alot of money.  If it were completely truly garbage, it shouldn't have made so much.  It maybe because alot more people than just me got a functioning  copy, but enough people liked it that it made alot of money continually.   Isolation should have made alot because of word of mouth.  Plenty of people liked it and promoted it.  It have been liked more by alien fans, but gamers, it appears,  werent as interested despite word of mouth.  It had alot of time to catch up and beat tbe gross profit of ACM but didn't.

That being said i really really dont think it should be retconed.  It added a lot of great bits of info into the lore.  Like if you watch all the scripted events, youll see the aliens beat yhe snoot out of the humans.  And this time yhe humans wete not holding back.  Including the lore from infestation it appears there two battalions involved in the story, thats up too 1,600 Marines.  All but 4 died fighting aliens and some ex-soldiers.  The aliens were shrugging off twin gat pulse guns like yhey were nothing and pawing APC.  They even lured a gunship close enough to attack it, take out its engines and destroy yhe whole craft.  We also see a queen take two vollies of missiles directly to the side and not even break her skin.

Theseva great feats that make the aliens more threatening to tbe universe they belong in, and makes survivors more bad ass, or tragic when they do die.

I believe it would be harmful to pawn away Aliens:Infestation,  ACM, ACM:SI.  Hell we finally get to see wbat the coat of arms is for yhe United States Colonial NAVY.  I dont want this stuff deep sixed.

Quote from: THE CITY HUNTER on Jun 13, 2016, 01:14:13 AM
Quote from: Scorpio on Jun 12, 2016, 06:50:36 AM
I would have preferred a tactical shooter than another FPS.  After a while, shooting at aliens becomes boring.  In the movie, the marines were constantly retreating and using tactics like sealing doors to survive, anyway.  The game has a few of these moments but not enough.  If it were more of that, and less run and gun, I would have liked it more.

Perhaps more like Alien Isolation, except less on the stealth aspects.
AVP Isolation

Great, now i have to hide from the predators on top the aliens, droids, scavengers, lets add Thugees from Temple of Doom too lol.  Wait that makes it harder >:(

Scorpio

Scorpio

:D  I acknowledge the fact that Aliens was a huge influence on the FPS genre.  But the movie itself is more of a survival horror than a Rambo/Commando style action movie.  Even when Ripley geared up to go in the hive she only had 99 rounds and 1 tank of flamethrower fuel.  If the aliens weren't mainly preoccupied elsewhere then Ripley would have been toast.

Xenofitch06

Xenofitch06

ACM was clearly not a direct game copy of Aliens, though. It borrowed heavily, but I don't remember Spitters, Crushers and Raven Xenos in Aliens either. It is its own entity at the end of the day.

windebieste

windebieste

Quote from: Xenofitch06 on Jun 13, 2016, 03:47:00 AM
ACM was clearly not a direct game copy of Aliens, though. It borrowed heavily, but I don't remember Spitters, Crushers and Raven Xenos in Aliens either. It is its own entity at the end of the day.

SEGA and Fox promoted it as a canonical sequel.  How much more direct were you expecting?  The only reason it's its 'own entity' now is largely because of rejection.  Standing out on its own.  Out there.  In the cold.  Exiled.  Banished.  The unloved bastard child of a magician turned spin doctor. 

Quote from: Darth Rinzler on Jun 13, 2016, 01:17:38 AM
I wouldn't trust the professional reviewers, they gave it bad scores because they were paid to do so, to help Dead Space 3 sales i am sure.  They came out the same week. 

That's quite the Conspiracy Theory you got going there.  I guess that makes about 100 reviewers who got paid off, then, by EA.

I guess that just leaves the User Rating score, which is even lower than the Professional Review scores.  I guess they got paid off, too, right? 

Look, if you like the game, that's fine by me I have no argument with your preference.  At some point, though, you've got to realise most people think it's abysmal for good reason.  It's a hack job sold to us as something else.  I totally get that it's the most recent game featuring 'ALIENS' and I'm sorry the game turned out the way it did. 

...er...

What the Hell am I doing?  Apologising on Pitchford's behalf..?  F*CK THAT!  Pitchford abandoned this game years ago and left us to bathe in the legacy of this pitiful quagmire.  This just won't do...

As far as I am concerned, 'A:CM' should be retconned from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure!

-Windebieste.

Xenofitch06

Xenofitch06

SEQUEL being the operative word here. Nobody can get upset that it isn't a perfect example of Aliens when it's not about Aliens. It sounds like the biggest issue here is a bunch of sour grapes who didn't get what they made up in their minds before the game was released. Maybe more was promised. But going back to the original statement of my thread, I personally think it was nonstop, FPS shooting fun. The added new Xeno types were great. And yes, I do consider it cannon to the universe. Fox said it was and you can't sit there and say "not anymore because it performed shitty so I doubt they consider it cannon now". They never said that and that's some folks (untrue) assumption.

426Buddy

426Buddy

It's a terrible game by any standard...

What it comes down to is that your definition of good or qaulity, is what most people would define as bad or low quality.

Darth Rinzler

Darth Rinzler

Quote from: windebieste on Jun 13, 2016, 04:18:37 AM
Quote from: Xenofitch06 on Jun 13, 2016, 03:47:00 AM

SEGA and Fox promoted it as a canonical sequel.  How much more direct were you expecting?  The only reason it's its 'own entity' now is largely because of rejection.  Standing out on its own.  Out there.  In the cold.  Exiled.  Banished.  The unloved bastard child of a magician turned spin doctor. 

Quote from: Darth Rinzler on Jun 13, 2016, 01:17:38 AM
I wouldn't trust the professional reviewers, they gave it bad scores because they were paid to do so, to help Dead Space 3 sales i am sure.  They came out the same week. 

That's quite the Conspiracy Theory you got going there.  I guess that makes about 100 reviewers who got paid off, then, by EA.

I guess that just leaves the User Rating score, which is even lower than the Professional Review scores.  I guess they got paid off, too, right? 

Look, if you like the game, that's fine by me I have no argument with your preference.  At some point, though, you've got to realise most people think it's abysmal for good reason.  It's a hack job sold to us as something else.  I totally get that it's the most recent game featuring 'ALIENS' and I'm sorry the game turned out the way it did. 

...er...

What the Hell am I doing?  Apologising on Pitchford's behalf..?  F*CK THAT!  Pitchford abandoned this game years ago and left us to bathe in the legacy of this pitiful quagmire.  This just won't do...

As far as I am concerned, 'A:CM' should be retconned from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure!

-Windebieste.

Well i did point out they made up reasons to give it a lower score, like not having easter eggs in the xbox and ps3 versions, which isnt true because we unlock an achievement for finding them.

I think it would be harmful to retcon it, we lose too many good things if thag happens.  Besides Hicks is shown being alive in alien 5, which compliments ACM.

Nostromo

Nostromo

I finished it a couple of months ago on XBOX 360. Nice cut scenes and not bad on the fun side. Not better than Isolation but better than that turd AVP 3. (Movement on console is terrible, must be better on pc ).
None come close on replay-ability though as AVP2 on pc.

[BAM] Yojimbo

[BAM] Yojimbo

I could of forgiven A:CM for all of its shortfalls if it had a decent story, the story, characters and dialogue were just plain rubbish.

I will never buy a Gearbox product ever again.

Someone should make a video edit of Randy's interviews with Burke constantly interrupting with saying "This is so nuts. I mean, listen - listen to what you're saying. It's paranoid delusion. How - It's really sad. It's pathetic."

;D

Scorpio

Scorpio

Quote from: Nostromo on Jun 13, 2016, 04:11:19 PM
Not better than Isolation but better than that turd AVP 3.

I just finished another play through of A:CM and am starting again on AVP 3.  Have to disagree.  I think AVP 3 is better - graphics, story, voice acting, the alien AI, the pacing... also much scarier.  A very underrated game, IMO.

A:CM has its flaws but I still enjoy it for what it is.  But Gearbox really should have taken notes from Rebellion.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed