I'm going to just say it.

Started by Xenofitch06, Jun 10, 2016, 06:16:30 AM

Author
I'm going to just say it. (Read 31,007 times)

Xenofitch06

Xenofitch06

I unabashedly love Colonial Marines. I thought it was fun, action packed FPS from start to finish. As someone who doesn't give two flips about storyline when I'm playing an FPS I found it much more fun to play than Isolation which was incredibly slow and basically playing an interactive movie.

Darth Rinzler

Darth Rinzler

Me too.  I havent had so much fun in a fps in a long time.  The only fps i felt are as good as it oeverall are, avp2 + dlc, and  halo 3-5 (5s pvp only).

I made a topic about killstreak i had when i was playing as a ranger with acid spary.  9 kills in one life XD

It bothers me the hate this game gets.  People complain about all the humans you fight, problem is is been this way in avp games for years and no-one complained about fighting humans.  Noone complained that you fight androids and rogue humans more than the alien in Isolation. 

Xenofitch06

Xenofitch06

I know! At least you get to fight...LOL Unloke AI where you just hide and the game hopes you're terrified (I wasn't.). I can't be scared of a Xeno after 28 years of fandom. I'm numb to their "scary" factor.

426Buddy

426Buddy

This thread is a testament to the old saying "one man's trash is another man's treasure."

Or even different strokes for different folks.

Xenofitch06

Xenofitch06

I think ACM more than deserves some praise considering how hated and trashed it is by almost everybody.

PsyKore

PsyKore

I think a lot of the hatred stems, not wholly from the game itself, but from Randy Pitchford and the many lies leading up to the game's release.

windebieste

windebieste

Quote from: Xenofitch06 on Jun 12, 2016, 04:41:44 AM
I think ACM more than deserves some praise considering how hated and trashed it is by almost everybody.

Therein lies the problem.  GBX did deliver a sub-par game.  For up to 6 years many of us were expecting something a lot better than what was eventually on shelves.  Pitchford took every opportunity to hype up this game and declare how dedicated he and his team were to the Project.  None of that enthusiasm is present in the final product. 

It's not just a few people that were disappointed by the end product.  The overwhelming majority of Players canned it.  Of course, being badged with 'ALIENS' themes, characters and situations is enough to keep some Players appeased.  Good for you!  You got a game you are happy with.  The rest of us, however, who spend 6 years listening to Pitchford spin his fable were sorely disappointed upon the game's release. 

It's not enough for a game to wear all the badges and trappings of its source material.  It's got to deliver in other areas as well.  'A:CM's gameplay is no more sophisticated than 'Serious Sam'.  For the most basic kind of FPS experience that 'Serious Sam' delivers, it's a better game than 'A:CM'.   

If you enjoy the game, then that's a good thing.  Somebody gets their enjoyment out of the title.  Great!  I'm happy for you but hHow much better could the experience for you be if the game was actually decent and praised by everyone else who bought it instead of just the relatively small number of follows that it actually has? 

Pitchford still has a lot to answer for in the eyes of many fans.  'A:CM' could have been an absolutely Grand title.  Instead it's a mess.  It's exactly the kind of mess we don't need.  We need more successful titles like 'ALIEN: Isolation'.  No game is going to appease everyone but in achieving its goals 'A:I' was a much better gaming experience - and this is agreed on by most people who picked it up. 

In the end, they are both very different games and will attract different players.  As to which one is good and which one is not - that's a matter of personal preference.

-Windebieste.

Xenofitch06

Xenofitch06

What exactly did you want from ACM then? I don't get it. You clearly didn't want an action-oriented FPS. Did everyone want an RPG or something? Some cannon-heavy story-driven epic?

windebieste

windebieste

All the ingredients are present but the cake was badly cooked.

Here, Angry Joe pretty much sums up the whole experience for me and where the game's extensive weaknesses lie. 

If the game had embraced what Pitchford had countless times led us to believe, there'd be no problem.  Unfortuntately, that's not how it worked out.

-Windebieste.

Scorpio

Scorpio

I would have preferred a tactical shooter than another FPS.  After a while, shooting at aliens becomes boring.  In the movie, the marines were constantly retreating and using tactics like sealing doors to survive, anyway.  The game has a few of these moments but not enough.  If it were more of that, and less run and gun, I would have liked it more.

Perhaps more like Alien Isolation, except less on the stealth aspects.

Xenofitch06

Xenofitch06

Honestly I don't understand the ridiculous amount of praise Isolation receives. It bored me to tears and the only thing that kept me from quitting eventually was the thought "well I've made it this far, may as well finish.".

I'm much more impressed by shooting at various types of Xenomorphs and having bosses etc. Something beyond the same shitty drone we see time after time.

Scorpio

Scorpio

Quote from: Xenofitch06 on Jun 12, 2016, 07:01:21 AM
Honestly I don't understand the ridiculous amount of praise Isolation receives. It bored me to tears and the only thing that kept me from quitting eventually was the thought "well I've made it this far, may as well finish.".

I'm much more impressed by shooting at various types of Xenomorphs and having bosses etc. Something beyond the same shitty drone we see time after time.

Because having an enemy you can't kill makes it more challenging.  The aliens in A:CM are just a random annoyance as you go from point A to point B.

Xenofitch06

Xenofitch06

But you would be able to kill it. They're not that strong, as shown several times in the movies. No more than a normal human. So not being able to fight against it is just an annoying and unrealistic game choice.

PsyKore

PsyKore

Quote from: Xenofitch06 on Jun 12, 2016, 07:23:17 AM
So not being able to fight against it is just an annoying and unrealistic game choice.

That's a bit silly. Isolation is intended to be survival-horror, not a shmup like A:CM - completely different genres. The survival-horror aspect is more faithful to the original film and suits the game likewise. Whether you like it or not is personal preference.

Isolation, however, does suffer from being way too padded out, to the point where it is very exhausting. It would be a more effective game, and overall better for the story, if it was reduced to a five or six hour game. Also, the Alien is a bit too much like a dinosaur to be properly scary.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Take isolation out of the equation, Aliens:CM is the worst fps I've played in recent memory. Just comparing it to other shooters alone.

I'm all for the idea of the game, but it was all done so poorly... gameplay through graphics it was all below average. The story is so bad Fox doesn't even consider it canon anymore.  I would still love to get a great Aliens: Colonial Marines game, I've been waiting since the original ps2 game (that was canceled and never released.)

To each their own though, I know there has been games that I loved and everyone else seemed to hate.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed