Katherine Waterston’s Role In ‘Alien: Covenant’ Revealed?

Started by Stolen, Jun 09, 2016, 06:47:48 PM

Author
Katherine Waterston’s Role In ‘Alien: Covenant’ Revealed? (Read 36,455 times)

Scorpio

I kind of hope it's true.  It would be a missed opportunity to not have Ripley in it somehow.  Given that it is a prequel to Alien and it is set in the right time frame for that to happen.

Chris!(($$))!

Chris!(($$))!

Quote from: Scorpio on Jun 10, 2016, 05:45:48 AM
Except the last movie with Ripley was almost 20 years ago.  A whole generation of movie goers probably don't even know who Ripley is. 

Sigourney Weaver still shows up in roles that are referencing the ALIEN series in some way. She's the big bad in "PAUL" with Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, Seth Rogen and they take lines from ALIENS. She is the ship's voice in "WALL-E".

I'm sure there are other examples.

Quote from: predxeno on Jun 10, 2016, 07:56:55 PM
I recall that many Prometheus fans argued that since Ridley Scott was the director of the first film, all his ideas were automatically great ones no matter what.  I'm actually rather curious to know whether they still think that in light of this new plot development or whether they changed their minds.

The thing is... I think most people can agree that what Prometheus brought to the table was interesting and good but it was the execution of those good interesting ideas that fell short. Prometheus did attempt to expand the universe. The script and plot was damaged. But the ideas it brought to the universe were good. Some may say great.

Also... people talking about Jones showing up... Is that a joke because of how cheesey and corny it is to have a Ripley in the movie to begin with? Cause... Cats are extremely lucky to live past 15. 11 year old Ripley isn't gonna have a kitty Jonesy.

Could quality come out of Ripley's mom being in Covenant? Yes. I can see it going a number of ways in which it could still be good.

1. A Ripley family member makes a cameo appearance.

2. If there is a Ripley in the movie, they die. They sort of have to unless they conveniently get into stasis and don't get out until after the events of ALIENS. Which would be what? Almost 100 years.

I'd rather see a familial connection to another main character if they have to at all. Maybe Dallas' uncle or dad. Hicks' granddad or grandma. If they wanted to have it not be a coincidence. Maybe someone related to Gorman (assuming he's from a military family) or someone related to Burke (assuming his family has always had ties to WY)

Scorpio

Scorpio

Quote from: Chris!(($$))! on Jun 12, 2016, 08:10:51 AM
Except the last movie with Ripley was almost 20 years ago.  A whole generation of movie goers probably don't even know who Ripley is. 

Sigourney Weaver still shows up in roles that are referencing the ALIEN series in some way. She's the big bad in "PAUL" with Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, Seth Rogen and they take lines from ALIENS. She is the ship's voice in "WALL-E".

Yeah, that's for the older fans, but the younger generation didn't grow up with Ripley.

I recall that many Prometheus fans argued that since Ridley Scott was the director of the first film, all his ideas were automatically great ones no matter what.  I'm actually rather curious to know whether they still think that in light of this new plot development or whether they changed their minds.

The thing is... I think most people can agree that what Prometheus brought to the table was interesting and good but it was the execution of those good interesting ideas that fell short. Prometheus did attempt to expand the universe. The script and plot was damaged. But the ideas it brought to the universe were good. Some may say great.

Also... people talking about Jones showing up... Is that a joke because of how cheesey and corny it is to have a Ripley in the movie to begin with? Cause... Cats are extremely lucky to live past 15. 11 year old Ripley isn't gonna have a kitty Jonesy.

Creme Puff lived to 38.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creme_Puff_(cat)

Chris!(($$))!

But it still makes her relevant I think.

Shit. I laughed at that. I laughed even more when I googled Creme Puff... I'm not even that old yet.

Mister Skeezler

This rumor just doesn't even seem like good storytelling.

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: Chris!(($$))! on Jun 12, 2016, 08:10:51 AMI can see it going a number of ways in which it could still be good.

[...]

I'd rather see a familial connection to another main character if they have to at all. Maybe Dallas' uncle or dad. Hicks' granddad or grandma. If they wanted to have it not be a coincidence. Maybe someone related to Gorman (assuming he's from a military family) or someone related to Burke (assuming his family has always had ties to WY)

I dunno man. Even if it's just a walk-on cameo, it's still winking at the audience, and I hate that.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Jun 12, 2016, 02:44:21 PM
Quote from: Chris!(($$))! on Jun 12, 2016, 08:10:51 AMI can see it going a number of ways in which it could still be good.

[...]

I dunno man. Even if it's just a walk-on cameo, it's still winking at the audience, and I hate that.

That's a good way to phrase it actually.  This is Aliens not Deadpool.  We don't need any 4th wall breaking of any sort.

CainsSon

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jun 12, 2016, 11:17:45 PM
Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Jun 12, 2016, 02:44:21 PM

[...]

That's a good way to phrase it actually.  This is Aliens not Deadpool.  We don't need any 4th wall breaking of any sort.

They did specify that she isn't the lead since the film has an ensemble cast.

Whiskeybrewer

If the plot really, REALLY, needs her to be Ripley's mother, than i guess i'll have to accept it. If not, then there's no point

T Dog

This is a terrible, cringey idea. Ahhhhh prequels, the bane of every film series.

CainsSon

Quote from: tmjhur on Jun 13, 2016, 02:40:11 PM
This is a terrible, cringey idea. Ahhhhh prequels, the bane of every film series.

Im starting to think that the attn prequels get for doing convenient things like this, are what attracts the studio to the ideas. They like the negative attn. Maybe they figure it's easier to manufacture than positive attn.

Scorpio

Quote from: CainsSon on Jun 13, 2016, 03:06:59 PM
Quote from: tmjhur on Jun 13, 2016, 02:40:11 PM

Im starting to think that the attn prequels get for doing convenient things like this, are what attracts the studio to the ideas. They like the negative attn. Maybe they figure it's easier to manufacture than positive attn.

I'm not into conspiracies or anything but maybe it was deliberately leaked to drum up early publicity.  Considering how many publications picked up on the story and Fox's blatant 'Remove Spoiler' request (as if that wouldn't raise any eyebrows).  Maybe it's all part of the master plan.

THE CITY HUNTER

Quote from: Chris!(($$))! on Jun 12, 2016, 08:10:51 AM

Could quality come out of Ripley's mom being in Covenant? Yes. I can see it going a number of ways in which it could still be good.

2. If there is a Ripley in the movie, they die. They sort of have to unless they conveniently get into stasis and don't get out until after the events of ALIENS. Which would be what? Almost 100 years.

It would not work how would Ripley be born if they die.

Corporal Hicks

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed