Shane Black Hints At Possible Detective Story for The Predator

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 19, 2016, 08:06:23 PM

Author
Shane Black Hints At Possible Detective Story for The Predator (Read 23,800 times)

DUB1

CSI: Predator.

I know, it's not exactly what was meant, but I couldn't help it (and truth be told, I wouldn't mind a CSI-styled Predator story).

Anyway, This could be interesting, if done right.

Quote from: CainsSon on May 20, 2016, 03:02:48 AM
Im picturing a Film Noir-ish Predator film. Could be cool.

I'd like that.

Master

To be honest Quinn McKeena sounds like wrestlers nick name  ;D

Xenomorphine

Gah! This was one of the flaws of 'Predator 2' - the audience already knew, ahead of time, what was behind the murders, making the lead character's revelations feel superfluous. The original had the 'detective work' balance about right; Dutch was able to figure out what was going on through using basic common sense.

If it's a background character who's been piecing parts of the puzzle together behind the scenes, who's met later on, that would be better. But we don't need a who-done-it in a story where the audience already knows exactly who/what is behind all the killings.

overthere

Now you got me a little worried because you're right, it's not the same when the audience knows about the Predator while the characters don't. It's going to be hard to achieve that mysterious feel to it.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Xenomorphine on May 20, 2016, 04:13:24 PMGah! This was one of the flaws of 'Predator 2' - the audience already knew, ahead of time, what was behind the murders, making the lead character's revelations feel superfluous.

Who says the mystery will have anything to do with the Predator's identity?

The detective part could be working out some mystery involving the Predator.

Corporal Hicks

I just had a thought that perhaps the mystery will involve Anna's tale about the Predator's involvement in our history? Could that perhaps be the jumping point and is there some mystery in there?

PRJ_since1990

What about someone "using" the Predator to destroy people of interest? Like say OWLF, who is trying to capture a Predator, ends up leading the creature to areas where they know it'll attack the groups of interest. Not unlike the way Dutch's team was used to take out the guerillas.

overthere

Quote from: PRJ_since1990 on May 21, 2016, 12:30:29 AM
What about someone "using" the Predator to destroy people of interest? Like say OWLF, who is trying to capture a Predator, ends up leading the creature to areas where they know it'll attack the groups of interest. Not unlike the way Dutch's team was used to take out the guerillas.

You think the Predator is going to be a scapegoat for the whole damn machine? Shieeeeeet.

https://youtu.be/LCfk9HyYJSE?t=11

PRJ_since1990

Quote from: overthere on May 21, 2016, 12:35:51 AM
Quote from: PRJ_since1990 on May 21, 2016, 12:30:29 AM

You think the Predator is going to be a scapegoat for the whole damn machine? Shieeeeeet.

https://youtu.be/LCfk9HyYJSE?t=11
Ha! Never seen the show but that was funny.

Would be quite a twist if all the action of the film was due to the meddling of some shadow with a personal agenda. Turns out it's Dutch taking revenge on the US military using a Predator and luring it to the base where General Phillips is. Or the office building where they made Dillon push too many pencils. Either way, win.   

lbeams

I posted this on the other story discussion, but I think it's possible that there could be another force ( maybe extraterrestrial ) in play other than just the predator. The audience knows what a predator is and what it can do. Throwing a changeup in this case would work and give back some tension. Can you imagine if they made a predator movie and didn't tell audiences that a predator was in it? That would freak people out and the word of mouth would be insane.

Predator_Spirit

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 20, 2016, 06:48:26 PM
I just had a thought that perhaps the mystery will involve Anna's tale about the Predator's involvement in our history? Could that perhaps be the jumping point and is there some mystery in there?

Could be.after all according To her the preds ca me back To kill villagers several times,the character could go back
There To hunt em back.jungle would be redundant tho

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

The only angle I'm coming up with is that maybe someone's investigating South American drug cartel deaths - which really are quite gruesome and horrific. Anyone's who's seriously looked into that subject will testify to this. Vlad The Impaler has nothing on these guys and troubling journalists wind up getting literally butchered. But then that being used as a stepping stone, because of some kind of other evidence showing up: A missing weapon or a weird invisible blob being found on nearby CCTV.

That might work. But just as a stepping stone. Once the characters become aware of the basics, the rest of the story should cruise in on that.

I felt like that's what 'Predator 2' attempted to do, but got too wrapped up in the police investigation side of it, which was pretty much wasted on the intended viewers.

PRJ_since1990

Quote from: Xenomorphine on May 21, 2016, 01:48:03 PM
The only angle I'm coming up with is that maybe someone's investigating South American drug cartel deaths - which really are quite gruesome and horrific. Anyone's who's seriously looked into that subject will testify to this. Vlad The Impaler has nothing on these guys and troubling journalists wind up getting literally butchered. But then that being used as a stepping stone, because of some kind of other evidence showing up: A missing weapon or a weird invisible blob being found on nearby CCTV.

That might work. But just as a stepping stone. Once the characters become aware of the basics, the rest of the story should cruise in on that.

I felt like that's what 'Predator 2' attempted to do, but got too wrapped up in the police investigation side of it, which was pretty much wasted on the intended viewers.
Honestly the more and more I read about details, ideas and come up with my own, the more I find this film to be a rewrite of Predator 2. Not a retcon exactly, more of a reimagining. Predator 2 with a better budget and more refined story. I'd be find with it. However, I'd like to see either a new setting or the city again, but no more jungles.

overthere

If The Predator is a direct sequel heavily continuing after the original movie, then in a sense it is a Predator 2. Predator 2 2.

WGAS

Well sh**! I WAS excited for a Predator 4 movie. Now with it potentially being a lame predator invasion/detective cop movie, I'd rather there not be a Predator 4 movie if this is it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed