Shane Black Talks The Predator Costume Design!

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 13, 2016, 05:12:09 AM

Author
Shane Black Talks The Predator Costume Design! (Read 32,910 times)

426Buddy

ADI lol right, why did I type AMD?  :P

Mister Skeezler

The AVP predators were far too bulky for my taste. They looked like a man in a suit.

Corporal Hicks

I understand Anderson's design mentality for them but I do think they looked off because of that extra bulk and armour. I think the McFarlane's figures did a great job of slimming them down. The AvPR suit was spot on for the figure though.

happypred

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jun 04, 2016, 07:48:55 AM
I understand Anderson's design mentality for them but I do think they looked off because of that extra bulk and armour. I think the McFarlane's figures did a great job of slimming them down. The AvPR suit was spot on for the figure though.

They looked like NFL linebackers.

Predators should be built more like muscular basketball players

delfloria

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 13, 2016, 08:14:33 AM
Welcome to the site, Robert. Are there any particular old designs you think would be good to revisit?

I don't think Shane would go back to the development designs that we created before Stan's involvement but for curiosities sake you can find them here at the bottom of this page. http://www.robertshortfx.com/features.html

Corporal Hicks

Thanks for sharing those, Robert! I agree - I'm not sure they'd go back to the earlier designs as I think they're a little too departed from what the Predator became but it's nice to finally see some better quality versions of these!

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jun 07, 2016, 08:59:49 AM
Thanks for sharing those, Robert! I agree - I'm not sure they'd go back to the earlier designs as I think they're a little too departed from what the Predator became but it's nice to finally see some better quality versions of these!

http://www.robertshortfx.com/uploads/2/9/8/7/29879635/5437757.jpg?484

Those look f**king amazing!

OpenMaw

Wouldn't mind a cut down looking Predator like that. Minus the face difference of course!

Honestly, the reason the AVP Predators failed wasn't by intent. Paul Anderson's concept art very clearly depicts the Predators as their slender shape, but the added armor just made the actors look more stout. Too much bulk in the design. On top of that the usage of slow motion and some really poor camera, and editing choices only exacerbated the problem.

georgeromero

Aside balloon bodies and weird eyes I didn't have a problem with AvP predators. I actually like their masks more than City Hunter's, even though CH is my favorite character. I think the difference between various predators' faces is no problem, just like humans with different facial structures except they are not humans :)

Just bring back one of the Lost Predators and that's it. That way the creature will look similar to what we love already. That's what I would do, besides I wouldn't want "revolutionary" designs a la Predators.

Corporal Hicks

I've always thought the McFarlane AvP figures looked great. A very slimmed down take on the AvP Predators.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed