Shane Black Talks The Predator Costume Design!

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 13, 2016, 05:12:09 AM

Author
Shane Black Talks The Predator Costume Design! (Read 32,917 times)

Ash 937

The Predator franchise never really had the "one-two punch" equivalent that the Alien franchise got with Ridley and Cameron.  If it had, maybe the universe its set in would've expanded the same way. Hopefully The Predator gets that moving along.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

The falcoln was never shown as anything other than a tracking device. Considering the Predators already have an unfair advantage over their prey I don't see it as being any more unfair than the other tech they have. An actual drone that goes out shooting - I do think that would be too far and against the spirit of the Predators.

I think it's likely we'll see Legacy Effects come on to do The Predator. Shane worked with them on Iron Man 3 and they were also formed from Stan Winston Studios after his death.

Master

Ahhh speculationg. Definitelly my favorite part.

For updated Predator I`d like to see something like Borg Predator from P2. He had cool, more hi tech armor. Also some time ago while browsing through google I found this mask based on terminator:

What I wouldn`t want to see is yet another variation on P1/2 mask.

Infected

If you look at Predator and Predator 2 then the pred has gotten different stuff like the net and the spear,
and everybody was ok with it because, offcourse this hunter will have an arsenal.
The question is how will you bring it to the big screen, having plasma cannisters with tracking/homing plasma bolts? NO!!
Shooting darts from his arm or helmet or kneecaps, yes! why? because its more hunter like and more challenging for a hunter.
Looking at the Predators movie, you see Tracker landing after the jump and you can see his helmet weighs a ton because of his head movement going all the way down, that looks so dumb.
Looking at Wolf from AVP:R, then yes he looks awesome, but his equipement like that power glove shit,NO!!!!
And Iron Man 3? that movie sucked.

So Mr.Black im having a doubt..............................dont f**k this up and dont let me hang you next to Mr. Anderson.

RakaiThwei

I just want something that is keeping the designs of the first two films in mind, not really using, and as much as I love them, the AVP films, or even Rodriguez's umm... entry... PREDATORS as part of the design. I don't want to see a Predator with over sized mandibles, an over-exaggerated skull structure, or dual toned dreadlocks.

What I, as a fan would want is definitely a traditional Predator but not necessarily a remake of the original creature, or the creature seen in Predator 2, but something... along the lines of what we saw in the Lost Clan in Predator 2. There were so many designs which were radically unique but not too deviating from the original, which is where I feel the Super Predators failed.

I wouldn't mind seeing a Predator with a different skin tone, or skin pattern. We've seen Predators with yellow and black skin patterns, we've seen them with pale skin but red and brown tones. In the case of the Lost clans, there were LOTS of skin pattern designs... I'm all for skin pattern designs.

What I DON'T want is another sub-species, like the Super Predators, or a Predator with more than four mandibles, or more than two arms or two legs. The Super Predators and that... four armed abomination from the sequel comics deviated too far from the original design, and were completely unnecessary.

This movie will make or break the franchise for me.

Vermillion

Just have VanDamme do it. 

ace3g

I just want them to get the shape of the Predator head/mandibles correct again.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Master on May 14, 2016, 12:09:29 PM
Ahhh speculationg. Definitelly my favorite part.

For updated Predator I`d like to see something like Borg Predator from P2. He had cool, more hi tech armor. Also some time ago while browsing through google I found this mask based on terminator:

http://www.moviecitizens.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/terminator-predator-helmet-1.jpg

What I wouldn`t want to see is yet another variation on P1/2 mask.

Yes! I don't want to see another slight take on Classic. It's boring now. I'd like to see something new like that too.

426Buddy

Quote from: ace3g on May 15, 2016, 03:20:00 AM
I just want them to get the shape of the Predator head/mandibles correct again.

This ^

Every pred face in predator and predator 2 was great and unique , everything since has been sub-par IMO.

marrerom

I just love everything about this quote:

Ultimately it's not about design to me, it's about the story you want to tell. There are people who are always going to agonize over Iron Man, what color his suit is. Maybe this weapon does a new thing, but if the story is not good I don't give a sh*t what color the suit is.

Shane Black gets it. He's not going to make the mistake AvP-R made where they focused everything on the design and portrayal of the Predator and didn't give a shit about writing a compelling story or having good characters. If all you get right are the creatures then your movie sucks. I am seriously getting excited for this film.

Predator_Spirit

Quote from: Infected on May 14, 2016, 03:30:31 PM

So Mr.Black im having a doubt..............................dont f**k this up and dont let me hang you next to Mr. Anderson.

:D   Exactly.

Quote from: marrerom on May 15, 2016, 01:15:51 PM
I just love everything about this quote:

Ultimately it's not about design to me, it's about the story you want to tell. There are people who are always going to agonize over Iron Man, what color his suit is. Maybe this weapon does a new thing, but if the story is not good I don't give a sh*t what color the suit is.

Shane Black gets it. He's not going to make the mistake AvP-R made where they focused everything on the design and portrayal of the Predator and didn't give a shit about writing a compelling story or having good characters. If all you get right are the creatures then your movie sucks. I am seriously getting excited for this film.

Totally, but I'll add that works both ways, the best srtory couldn't make up for a crappy design for the predator.
A good story being the hard part and making a decent look for the predator the easy part.

Vermillion

The Rock.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 15, 2016, 06:04:53 AM
Yes! I don't want to see another slight take on Classic. It's boring now. I'd like to see something new like that too.

Are you talking about as far as the bio-helmet is concerned or the actual face underneath the mask?

Corporal Hicks

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 16, 2016, 05:22:30 AM
All of it.

[Cringes] Yeeeaah... I just... only want the armor updated. Not so much the original concept that Stan did..

I mean... as long as they don't deviate from the core concept.. fine.. kind of like how elements of the original Godzilla is seen in most incarnations afterwards, barring Zilla, then they can do that but I don't want something which is unrecognizable or exaggerated like the Super Predators. Again, I'm all for different markings, more pronounced ridges, and all that but... I don't want things taken TOO far.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed