Aliens: Bug Hunt - Aliens Anthology Announced!

Started by alienscollection.com, May 10, 2016, 08:21:28 PM

Author
Aliens: Bug Hunt - Aliens Anthology Announced! (Read 108,230 times)

SM

Quote from: LordCassusSnow on May 18, 2016, 03:11:29 PM
Read it again. And xenomrph i'm right with you on that. There are many glaring errors in the films and books that are hard to ignore. Some of which clashes with existing material such as The WY Report vs ACM Tech Manual, and Alien The Illustrated story vs Alien Isolation, to name a couple. I for one would like this stuff polished over and redistributed with updates like James Cameron did for the special edition of Aliens. I definitely enjoy Aliens a little better now without that error in film that looks like a twister when the Jordan family discover the derelict. Or the Alien warrior with bungie cords attatched leaping after Ripley when she's rescuing Newt. It's also getting a bit laughable the tech used in Alien 1-3. Our technology has progressed quite a bit since the 70's and 80's. Maybe fox should have moved the time back and said humanity in the Alien/Predator universe had reached other planets well before 1970? The mention of cholera not being reported for 200 years in Alien 3 would also make sense in that regard.

So, you want them to go back and digitally give them holograms and laser guns...?

Local Trouble

Quote from: Xenomrph on May 18, 2016, 05:46:51 PMAlso what did you mean by "breathable fury"?

I assume he means Fiorina having a naturally-breathable atmosphere.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Local Trouble on May 18, 2016, 10:32:00 PM
Quote from: Xenomrph on May 18, 2016, 05:46:51 PMAlso what did you mean by "breathable fury"?

I assume he means Fiorina having a naturally-breathable atmosphere.
Earth has a naturally breathable atmosphere, why can't another planet? NASA is finding potentially habitable earth-like extrasolar planets on a daily basis.

Quote from: SM on May 18, 2016, 10:15:28 PM
Quote from: LordCassusSnow on May 18, 2016, 03:11:29 PM
Read it again. And xenomrph i'm right with you on that. There are many glaring errors in the films and books that are hard to ignore. Some of which clashes with existing material such as The WY Report vs ACM Tech Manual, and Alien The Illustrated story vs Alien Isolation, to name a couple. I for one would like this stuff polished over and redistributed with updates like James Cameron did for the special edition of Aliens. I definitely enjoy Aliens a little better now without that error in film that looks like a twister when the Jordan family discover the derelict. Or the Alien warrior with bungie cords attatched leaping after Ripley when she's rescuing Newt. It's also getting a bit laughable the tech used in Alien 1-3. Our technology has progressed quite a bit since the 70's and 80's. Maybe fox should have moved the time back and said humanity in the Alien/Predator universe had reached other planets well before 1970? The mention of cholera not being reported for 200 years in Alien 3 would also make sense in that regard.

So, you want them to go back and digitally give them holograms and laser guns...?
If Spielberg can put walkie-talkies in ET...

(I'm being facetious)

The Alien Predator

Exactly, plus Fury could've been terraformed.

SM

Fiorina wasn't terraformed. They just found it like that.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: The Alien Predator on May 18, 2016, 10:46:52 PM

Didn't it have indigenous life?  That would seem to indicate it was naturally habitable.

As I said in an old post, it was always strange to me that a (by our current standards) rare gem of a planet like Fiorina wouldn't be massively colonized, given its atmosphere and gravity were obviously suitable for long-term human habitation.

Then again, it seems to me that the entire planet was the company's private property and not some cooperative effort between Weyland-Yutani and Colonial Administration like LV-426 was.

Hell, maybe artificially engineered "shake and bake" colonies end up being preferable to human settlers than naturally habitable but otherwise unattractive shitholes like Fiorina.

Quote from: SM on May 18, 2016, 10:54:24 PM

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 10, 2015, 10:22:21 PM
Quote from: SM on Jun 26, 2014, 09:59:40 PM
QuoteWas Fiorina terraformed?  That fact that it had indigenous life indicates to me that it wasn't.

I should've emphasised 'after' in my post as I meant to suggest that this could be the after picture rather than before.

He never gave a straight answer to the question, but as a Juilliard-trained SMologist, I can confidently state that he never outright said it was terraformed.

:laugh:

The Alien Predator

Quote from: SM on May 18, 2016, 10:54:24 PM

Where was that stated? I'm curious.

Quote from: Local Trouble on May 18, 2016, 10:58:01 PM

Didn't it have indigenous life?  That would seem to indicate it was naturally habitable.

As I said in an old post, it was always strange to me that a (by our current standards) rare gem of a planet like Fiorina wouldn't be massively colonized, given its atmosphere and gravity were obviously suitable for long-term human habitation.

Then again, it seems to me that the entire planet was the company's private property and not some cooperative effort between Weyland-Yutani and Colonial Administration like LV-426 was.

Hell, maybe artificially engineered "shake and bake" colonies end up being preferable to human settlers than naturally habitable but otherwise unattractive shitholes like Fiorina.

I always thought the flea problem was something that humans could've brought along with them from another world. Like how we accidentally spread rats all over Earth from their native countries.

Xenomrph

Quote from: Local Trouble on May 18, 2016, 10:58:01 PM

I was thinking the same thing, actually.

Without reading the thread you linked, I could come up with a couple scenarios off the top of my head. Maybe, being an already-habitable planet, Fiorina is one of the "older" colonies (as in, more time for the Company to pollute it, f**k it up, and then bail), or perhaps it's at the crossroads of popular trade routes which make it a convenient dumping ground (or conversely, it's at the ass-end of nowhere, making it unappealing for long-term colonization).

Or like you said, terraforming planets with mining opportunities might be more appealing and profitable than colonizing already-habitable planets that just have real estate and not much else.

Local Trouble

Here's the old thread I started in which I asked a lot of these same questions:

Wouldn't Fiorina be relatively ideal for mass colonization?

SM

QuoteWhere was that stated? I'm curious.

Nowhere specifically from memory.  Though they do seem to have a marked lack of airlocks.

Local Trouble

Quote from: SM on May 18, 2016, 11:29:25 PM
QuoteWhere was that stated? I'm curious.

Nowhere specifically from memory.  Though they do seem to have a marked lack of airlocks.

Funny, I'm pretty sure you just stated it.  Isn't that enough?

LordCassusSnow

The Alien 3 novel states the oceans are a little acidic. And its possible humans could have broughr lice and that parasite evolved due to hostile conditions. It was briefly mentioned in Aliens Invasion i believe. Where humans unwittingly bring along vermin and they evolve on whatever planet they now inhabit.

The Alien Predator

Quote from: LordCassusSnow on May 18, 2016, 11:54:35 PM
The Alien 3 novel states the oceans are a little acidic. And its possible humans could have broughr lice and that parasite evolved due to hostile conditions. It was briefly mentioned in Aliens Invasion i believe. Where humans unwittingly bring along vermin and they evolve on whatever planet they now inhabit.

Oh yeah.

Also Out of the Shadows mentions some space fleas that infest human ships. And we see this weird bug in Alien: Resurrection, in the alternative intro.

Maybe the fleas of Fury could've come from another world by taking a ride on human ships.

SM

Indigenous life on the wind-swept planet is extremely
limited. Plant life consists of algae, moss, and a primitive
type of salt grass. The acidic oceans support plankton and a
few rudimentary fishlike species; on land, there are insects
and arthropods. One of these arthropods—an ectoparasite
similar to pediculus humanus capitis (head lice) but
extremely resistant to treatment—is carnivorous and is
drawn to the keratin found in mammalian hair. Inhabitants of
Fiorina 161 were forced to continually shave all body hair.

WYR - pp129

Local Trouble

Quote from: SM on May 19, 2016, 12:02:36 AM
Indigenous life on the wind-swept planet is extremely
limited. Plant life consists of algae, moss, and a primitive
type of salt grass. The acidic oceans support plankton and a
few rudimentary fishlike species; on land, there are insects
and arthropods. One of these arthropods—an ectoparasite
similar to pediculus humanus capitis (head lice) but
extremely resistant to treatment—is carnivorous and is
drawn to the keratin found in mammalian hair. Inhabitants of
Fiorina 161 were forced to continually shave all body hair.

WYR - pp129

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed