The Predator to begin filming by October!

Started by Darkoo, May 07, 2016, 04:38:26 AM

Author
The Predator to begin filming by October! (Read 29,660 times)

Darkoo

Filming on the hotly-anticipated "Predator" reboot is set to begin by October, Director Shane Black revealed Friday, describing the latest in the action horror franchise as an "event" movie.
"The Predator," due for release through 20th Century Fox in March 2018, has been shrouded in secrecy, but Black said it would be a significantly "bigger" film than its three predecessors.
"To the best of my knowledge, the train is rolling. It took some convincing because they've been putting out these movies all along with a $50-60 million budget, and they all had a guaranteed return," he told AFP.
"But there was never the sense that it was an event picture. It was more like 'I understand another Predator is coming out -- maybe we'll see it maybe we won't.'"
The original "Predator," about a US special forces unit in Central America that encounter an alien who hunts them for sport, was a box office hit, although its sequels enjoyed less success.
It didn't make a huge impression among critics on its 1987 release but it has since become a cult hit, frequently placed on best horror and sci-fi lists, ensuring global attention for the reboot.
Black, who played radioman Rick Hawkins in the original, has revealed it will be set in the present day -- meaning events will take place 31 years after the original film.
The 54-year-old director has said bringing back Arnold Schwarzenegger to reprise his starring role as Major Alan "Dutch" Schaefer is "something we're looking into."
Black, who directed 2013 Marvel blockbuster "Iron Man 3," confirmed shooting on "The Predator" would begin "in the latter part of the fall -- September, October."
Black made the announcement as he was promoting his latest film "The Nice Guys," a private eye comedy-thriller starring Russell Crowe and Ryan Gosling, which opens May 20.
Veteran producer Joel Silver, who worked with Black on "The Nice Guys," also produced and was largely responsible for editing the original "Predator."
"This is the tone we want. This is the tone he established for the first 'Predator.' Now, make it bigger, but keep that tone," Black said.
https://www.afp.com/en/news/206/predator-reboot-begin-filming-october

predfan65

Excellent new. Really looking forward to this movie.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RakaiThwei

I really hope that this is a movie which I can get behind and support. I really want this to be something I want to look forward to with a sense of excitement. I want to know the story now..

Number13

Yay! I love to see what they bring to the table with this one, each movie, in my opinion, has brought something really interesting.

Corporal Hicks

Excellent! I was hoping to get a date soon. I know we know nothing about the film but I'm really looking forward to it. Something about Black's involvement has me quite excited!

XENOMORPHOSIS

Wasn't expect them to start filming this soon, really looking forward to this.

Number13

If Schwarzenegger ends up being in this then I would've predicted the future twice. The first time was Neill Blomkamp's movie bringing back Hicks and Newt.

genocyber

Are they really calling it that name? Seriously?

RabidNinja

Considering that Black directed the shitbomb that was IM3, i'm on the fence. no doubt that he'll hopefully do right by us with a film that deserves a return to its roots, but i'd rather it not be another convoluted, re-explained and general recast of the original, with "the latino that knows about the predator",

And for all intents, prayers and purposes, please dont be like AvP.

Master

So what you'd like it to be?

whiterabbit

A Predator and Dutch, stranded on an alien planet, where they must now put their stubborn differences aside to survive... and fall in love... and get to da choppa together.

Randomizer

I'm quite reluctant on anything regarding plot right now. I fear that once the story is revealed I won't be as hyped as I currently am.

But one thing's for certain:

Quote from: whiterabbit on May 07, 2016, 09:26:11 AM
A Predator and Dutch, stranded on an alien planet, where they must now put their stubborn differences aside to survive... and fall in love... and get to da choppa together.

If this happened I would not be disappointed. It might even become my favorite Predator movie.

Doggo33

I'm not sure what quite to think of this film.
I know I don't want Arnold Schwarzenegger involved. I know I don't want it to be fan service-y although I know I want it to include "You are one ugly...". Most of all I don't want it to ruin previous films and that's the big worry that makes me not sure yet about whether I like that this is being made. I mean I love 'Predator' and 'Predator 2', I love the 'Alien' series and I really like 'Alien vs. Predator'. But logic suggests this will be contradictory to past canon and will possibly be fan service-y.

'Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem' was bad in almost every way.
'Predators' was alright in itself though kind of "meh" and basically could have been done a lot better but it also lessened the effect of the previous films by creating Super Predators that kill Predators fairly easily.
'Prometheus' was a horrible, contradictory mess that isn't even good in itself.

The wider franchise (as much as I hate considering 'Prometheus' as related) has thus far managed to stay away from fan service but knowing how modern franchise movies are, I'm doubtful.

That said, I would really like to see another good 'Predator' movie and more 'Alien vs Predator' movies (because they just exist for a bit of fun anyway I'm not so concerned with whether it might be bad). I don't want any more 'Alien' movies though as it's unnecessary and I have no faith that future filmmakers for the franchise won't contradict or otherwise ruin past films.

Alienon

Alienon

Predator Pops, maybe?!

Stolen

Oh great news!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed