ALIEN DAY: Sigourney Weaver Talks A5 at Aliens Special Event

Started by CainsSon, Apr 27, 2016, 05:20:37 AM

Author
ALIEN DAY: Sigourney Weaver Talks A5 at Aliens Special Event (Read 39,782 times)

Corporal Hicks

Here's a video of the Q&A from one of the members of WYB.

CainsSon

CainsSon

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 05, 2016, 03:06:20 PM
Here's a video of the Q&A from one of the members of WYB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9sxxVqJRks

You should be able to see my head in the bottom right in front of Sigs when she is standing up.

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on May 04, 2016, 03:53:18 PM
Quote from: CainsSon on May 04, 2016, 01:05:31 AM
Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on May 03, 2016, 09:20:16 PM
Sounds like Ridley is moving onto Blade Runner 2 after Alien: Covenant wraps shooting. No mention of Alienkamp which he is also supposed to produce.

Quote from: Jim MinnsOn Monday, I was lucky enough to meet one of the world's most iconic filmmakers - Sir Ridley Scott. I was blown away by how hands on he was. With thousands of workers employed for his latest film - Alien Covenant - He was just as interactive with the props dept' for the Android blood as he was for the gimbal on the spaceship.

He explained the cycle - that when he was in post-production on The Martian - he began pre-production for this. Once he'll be in post on this he'll be in pre-production for Blade Runner 2.
"I Love it" - He said.
You've got to admire the dedication - with all that he has achieved so far, yet he has made a concentrated effort not to stop.

He is also producing Brain Dead TV SERIES which is filming right now and during my time in the same building as a Feature I just wrapped on named Cortex and also another film in prep called Felt... Never saw the guy once. At his scale, you don't need to be present to produce, unfortunately. Also not that imdb is terribly reliable but he is lined up to produce Blade Runner AND Alien 5 in 2017... Its entirely possible.

He's probably planning to be more hands-on with Blade Runner 2 and Alienkamp than some random TV show. It's his legacy after all.
For sure. I mean, I seriously hope so. I have a lot more faith in Blomkamp's movie w/ Scott as a creative producer... Say what you want about PROMETHEUS, it certain had some seriously great Production Values.

LordCassusSnow

Fox just loves shoe horning ripley into anything now. Whether its her daughter in Isolation AND Aliens Defiance, which i have no doubt will amount to nothing, or in Alien Out of the Shadows and now Alienkamp. I mean good for Sigs for getting work but seriously, is work so scarce nowadays?

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I was worried about Amanda's inclusion in Isolation but it worked 100%. I do think there's an over-reliance on Ripley at the minute though. I hope that when Alien 3.2 does come out, it will pass the torch on and be done with Rippers.

SiL

Amanda could've been literally anyone and the game would've worked just fine.

Corporal Hicks

No argument there but Amanda's inclusion came off perfectly. It didn't feel forced to me and it added an extra layer of emotion that paid off when we get to Ripley's recording towards the end.

426Buddy

I too thought Amanda's inclusion was done perfectly, it felt like an important part of the story and like Hicks said, it doesnt feel forced at all.

Perfect-Organism

I also feel that Amanda's inclusion makes perfect sense, and the Alien Isolation game would have suffered significantly if she were not included.  There is definitely an anti-Ripley vibe on this forum and I think it stems from a skepticism of a retcon of Alien 3.

You have to keep in mind that we on this site are certifiable hard-core fans.  We are able to make the jump into a rich EU with ought Ripley, but in order to bake the series a viable franchise, it has to appeal to casual fans and also to the general public.  These people relate more to humans than to the monsters.  Ripley IS the core of the franchise for them.

It's why franchises like Knight Rider fail.  The studios think it's only about a talking car and a dude.  It's about David Hasselhoff's Michael Knight for the casual fans and general public really. 

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on May 08, 2016, 02:59:54 PM
I also feel that Amanda's inclusion makes perfect sense, and the Alien Isolation game would have suffered significantly if she were not included.  There is definitely an anti-Ripley vibe on this forum and I think it stems from a skepticism of a retcon of Alien 3.

Not at all. It's from the noticeable inclusion of a Ripley into a lot of entries recently - and sometimes towards their detriment. It just happened to work for Isolation but I groaned when it was first announced.

426Buddy

Yeah personally im not down for the retcon myself. But I also agree that the Ripley character was the core of the first three films.

Primordial

It is not about being against Ripley. It is about not forcing to press the lemon.

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Primordial on May 08, 2016, 07:08:49 PM
It is not about being against Ripley. It is about not forcing to press the lemon.

:D. Ok, I've never heard that saying before, nor do I know what it means, but I love it!

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 08, 2016, 03:50:27 PM
Quote from: Perfect-Organism on May 08, 2016, 02:59:54 PM

Not at all. It's from the noticeable inclusion of a Ripley into a lot of entries recently - and sometimes towards their detriment. It just happened to work for Isolation but I groaned when it was first announced.

When it comes to mainstream Alien products (movies effectively) we are only getting Ripley in Blomkamp's film.  Other inclusions are only on our hardcore fan radars, so virtually non-existent.  Keep in mind that Out of the Shadows was written before the Blomkamp announcement, so at that time Fox was probably thinking this is the last opportunity for an Alien story.  With Sea of Sorrows, the inclusion of her descendant was forced for sure, but even then it was fairly isolated because Blomkamp's film was not yet announced (if I remember correctly).  So that's basically it for Ripley.  For a core character it is not a lot.

When you start to factor in Amanda Ripley, that could be seen more as a departure from Ellen Ripley rather than a focus on Ripley.  That was a pass-the-torch moment.

Anyway, I think we feel like we're getting Ripley overload because we keep talking about her.  In reality, she's being lightly sprinkled.

Primordial

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on May 09, 2016, 11:34:01 AM
... but I love it!

At the end of the day, that is what matters  :D
A juicy lemon will eventually give you only one drop or two by being squeezed too much. It is ok for a lemon but not for an actor !
In other words, too much of something is a lack of something. Meaning that a fresh start with new characters would be very welcomed.

I'm willing to put aside my mixed feelings about 'Alien 5', set in an alternate universe, only because I hope it will be an exceptional thing in every sense of the word. It really should be the last time we hear about Ripley in an alien movie. If it is the case then I'm all for it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed