Sigourney Weaver Updates Us On Blomkamp’s Alien 5!

Started by Perfect-Organism, Apr 21, 2016, 06:52:21 PM

Author
Sigourney Weaver Updates Us On Blomkamp’s Alien 5! (Read 37,496 times)

LordCassusSnow

I still have very low expectations for Covenant. Everything we've been getting from Ridley feels like deja vu. Except we know it's going to be an actual alien (prequel?) movie. Just feels like were going to end up with another Dawn of Justice after Man of Steel, still scratching our heads asking why? Then getting George Miller to do the rest omg! Imagine!? Anyway with this news, idk, i've been wondering, since theres time and since its an Aliens movie, why doesn't someone petition for James Cameron to helm the directors chair? Or also co produce? Then again, he loved Terminator Genesys so...he'll probably be on board! ;D

windebieste

I would love to see Blomkamp make an 'ALIENS' movie.

What I don't want to see is aged actors shoe horned into a script that's tailor made to accommodate them so they can reprise roles they haven't played for decades. 

Hopefully Weaver's role in all this will be in the capacity of a Producer rather than as Actor. 

A new 'ALIENS' movie for the 21st Century with a fresh story, engaging new characters toting pulse rifles with Xenos dropping on them from the ceiling will rock everyone's boat!

Give me THAT movie, please.

-Windebieste.

The Alien Predator

Quote from: windebieste on Apr 21, 2016, 10:42:26 PM

What I don't want to see is aged actors shoe horned into a script that's tailor made to accommodate them so they can reprise roles they haven't played for decades. 

Hopefully Weaver's role in all this will be in the capacity of a Producer rather than as Actor. 

A new 'ALIENS' movie for the 21st Century with a fresh story, engaging new characters toting pulse rifles with Xenos dropping on them from the ceiling will rock everyone's boat!

-Windebieste.

Yes PLEASE.

I don't mind Alien 5, nor Neil directing it, but is Ripley seriously needed? Alien as a franchise is like that kid that's overly dependant on his/her mother. I'd love to see new and interesting character to expand the lore.

Why not another female lead? Ripley isn't the only female badass in this universe.  :P

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: The Alien Predator on Apr 21, 2016, 11:04:20 PM

-Windebieste.

Yes PLEASE.

I don't mind Alien 5, nor Neil directing it, but is Ripley seriously needed? Alien as a franchise is like that kid that's overly dependant on his/her mother. I'd love to see new and interesting character to expand the lore.

Why not another female lead? Ripley isn't the only female badass in this universe.  :P

You're already getting what you want.  It looks like there will be 3 or 4 more Alien films without Ripley.  The idea that we're not getting strong female leads is a little absurd don't you think?  Every Alien related film had a strong female lead.  Why not let Ripley have at least that 1 film?

The Alien Predator

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Apr 21, 2016, 11:13:53 PM
Quote from: The Alien Predator on Apr 21, 2016, 11:04:20 PM

-Windebieste.

Yes PLEASE.

You're already getting what you want.  It looks like there will be 3 or 4 more Alien films without Ripley.  The idea that we're not getting strong female leads is a little absurd don't you think?  Every Alien related film had a strong female lead.  Why not let Ripley have at least that 1 film?

I just don't see the point of her inclusion personally but that's just me. I agree with Winde regarding this.

I'd rather like to see Ripley 8's story be continued. She was an interesting character.

Edit: Sorry if this is getting off topic. Maybe there should be a separate thread to discuss this. I remember last time how divisive people got over this on another thread.

426Buddy

-Windebieste.

Totally agree with this

Perfect-Organism

I would say the divisive nature is inevitable, and that is ok.  We're fans and we're passionate.  It's normal.  I'm not an admin here, but I would think that pro or con statements about this issue would make as much sense here as anywhere else, so why not?

I think that the idea of having another film with Ripley is great.  As an actress, she was at the core of the series and she deserves another shot.  The statements that many fans make that she is not needed for the series are fair, but another film with Sigourney Weaver while we still have her will be appreciated for generations to come.  If the opportunity is missed now, it will soon be too late.  We're all getting older.  Sure Ripley 8 would be interesting, but I think the masses found that relationship between Ripley and Newt and Hicks to be the most compelling.  It's the film that many of us are dying to see, whereas nobody is really dying to see a Ripley 8 film.  IMHO anyways..

CainsSon

CainsSon

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Apr 21, 2016, 11:49:48 PM
I would say the divisive nature is inevitable, and that is ok.  We're fans and we're passionate.  It's normal.  I'm not an admin here, but I would think that pro or con statements about this issue would make as much sense here as anywhere else, so why not?

I think that the idea of having another film with Ripley is great.  As an actress, she was at the core of the series and she deserves another shot.  The statements that many fans make that she is not needed for the series are fair, but another film with Sigourney Weaver while we still have her will be appreciated for generations to come.  If the opportunity is missed now, it will soon be too late.  We're all getting older.  Sure Ripley 8 would be interesting, but I think the masses found that relationship between Ripley and Newt and Hicks to be the most compelling.  It's the film that many of us are dying to see, whereas nobody is really dying to see a Ripley 8 film.  IMHO anyways..
Well I disagree all around. The intention is to keep the series going and always was. I have very strong feelings about ending a series on a part 4 and I think the only thing worse than retconning entire entries is recasting leads. There are like 3 more Prometheus-Alien coming and thats exciting. The Ripley story should be wrapped up in the sequence we already have and then they should follow that with a new trilogy, which they already intend to do... After ripleys story they should begin a tv series.

whiterabbit

Well the one bit of good news we can take from this is that at least Sigourney Weaver is still into making this happen and I think that makes a big difference. If it happens or not or if the script really any good is another matter.

PRJ_since1990

Well this is exciting news to say the least! Personally more excited for this than Covenant.

Ash 937

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 21, 2016, 07:40:18 PM
If all goes well, Blomkamp will likely shoot Alien 5 sometime in 2017, ahead of a release the following year. So that gives fans a one-two punch of Scott's Prometheus 2 in 2017 and Blomkamp's own Alien film in 2018.

I've always maintained that the Alien franchise is FOX's best answer to Disney's Star Wars franchise.  It has a well-established fan base and there is a lot of potential to expand storylines with prequels and sequels.  A fresh Alien film every year mimics what Star Wars is doing right now and if Deadpool proved anything, it's that you can still make a blockbuster that's rated 'R' if you combine the right elements.  I think the Alien franchise can potentially have the same success if treated appropriately. 

RakaiThwei

Quote from: XENOMORPHOSIS on Apr 21, 2016, 10:12:26 PM
Honestly I just want the one prequel that establishes how the Space Jockey crashed the derelict on LV-426, wonder if this multiple movie saga is really warranted. For that matter is Neill movie set to be a final instalment or is he too planing to make a multitude of sequels?

There was a Screenrant interview where he said he would like to do two more sequels to the upcoming Alien 5.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Apr 22, 2016, 04:27:43 AM
Quote from: XENOMORPHOSIS on Apr 21, 2016, 10:12:26 PM
Honestly I just want the one prequel that establishes how the Space Jockey crashed the derelict on LV-426, wonder if this multiple movie saga is really warranted. For that matter is Neill movie set to be a final instalment or is he too planing to make a multitude of sequels?

There was a Screenrant interview where he said he would like to do two more sequels to the upcoming Alien 5.

So once Covenant is done, there could literally be two concurrent Alien series going on.  Just like Star Wars.  That would be perfect.  (If they're any good.)

Chris!(($$))!

Chris!(($$))!

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 21, 2016, 08:56:14 PM

Yeah. It doesn't sound like a definite at the minute. I imagine it will come down to the success of Alien: Covenant. If it bombs I doubt we'll see this. Thought that wont happen as Covenant will be good!

I'd like to think they may have worked the delays into consideration with their schedules though.

I don't think a Ridley Scott movie has ever bombed financially besides Legend? Covenant will make money and probably enough for Fox to continue with A5.

For what it's worth. I have quite a bit of faith in Alien: Covenant, Alien 5 and even The Predator

-Windebieste.

Once again, I agree with Windebieste!

Quote from: Ash 937 on Apr 22, 2016, 03:50:45 AM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 21, 2016, 07:40:18 PM
If all goes well, Blomkamp will likely shoot Alien 5 sometime in 2017, ahead of a release the following year. So that gives fans a one-two punch of Scott's Prometheus 2 in 2017 and Blomkamp's own Alien film in 2018.

I've always maintained that the Alien franchise is FOX's best answer to Disney's Star Wars franchise.  It has a well-established fan base and there is a lot of potential to expand storylines with prequels and sequels.  A fresh Alien film every year mimics what Star Wars is doing right now and if Deadpool proved anything, it's that you can still make a blockbuster that's rated 'R' if you combine the right elements.  I think the Alien franchise can potentially have the same success if treated appropriately. 

Oh without a doubt. Just look at the Budget to Box Office ratio on ALIEN and ALIENS. Compare that to Deadpool (which I was QUITE fond of).

ALIEN's ratio is even better than Deadpool's.

XenoZipper

I really do hope Covenant surprises me & blows me away. I just don't have super high hope just yet after Prometheus. The Martian was a beautifully shot movie as well but fell apart for me about the time duct tape was used to fix everything so I lost a little faith in him again from that. That being said, I still hope he proves me wrong & does something very exceptional the series desperately needs it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed