Shane Black: Predator Sequel Will Be Set Present Day!

Started by Darkness, Apr 13, 2016, 09:13:19 PM

Author
Shane Black: Predator Sequel Will Be Set Present Day! (Read 21,150 times)

Darkness

Director Shane Black has given us a nice little update about the forthcoming Predator sequel. Collider caught up with the man at CinemaCon that is currently happening in Las Vegas. Black still states that he’s working the script but reiterates he wants to make the Predator movie a Summer movie – a movie that will have people queuing up to see.

When pressed about whether or not Arnold Schwarzenegger will reprise his role as Dutch, the director remained coy about the prospect. “I think it's something we're looking into, and as this thing evolves and takes on more of a shape, we'll figure out how best to honor the tradition of what is really a remarkable first movie and even parts of the rest of them as well.” says Black.

The big news to come out of this interview is that Shane Black reveals that the Predator movie will take place present day! He stopped short of saying where but I still suspect it will be some remote part of Earth.

The Predator sequel takes place present day!

The Predator sequel takes place present day!

For history’s sake, John McTiernan’s Predator was set in 1987, Predator 2 was set in Summer 1997 and Predators was set in 2010. With the new Predator film due for release in 2018, that gives a time-jump of 31 years from the original.

How that will affect the story is anybody’s guess. With present day, that means a lot of my period pieces such as Vietnam and Pirates are out of the window. If Arnie signs on, I can still see the story revolving around an older, tired Dutch tracking down a Predator.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

QuotePredator Sequel Will Be Set Present Day!

Makes sense if Arnold's character, Dutch is going to be involved.

XENOMORPHOSIS

Ok this obviously ruled out being set in a historical time period

Darkness

I think it was the most logical option, sadly. They wouldn't have invested the risk and money in doing a piece in the past as fun as it would have been,

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: XENOMORPHOSIS on Apr 13, 2016, 09:28:40 PM

I'm disappointed about that. It was a long shot at best but I was really hoping for it. It would have been something quite different.

That said, I'm still looking forward to seeing more of this. Shane Black's involvement has me quite excited!

XENOMORPHOSIS

XENOMORPHOSIS

Wonder how the film will play out, having a similar plot to the original of a lone Predator arriving on earth during a current war. Or like Predator 2 take it to an urban environment and pursuit the plotline of the government trying to get their hands on Predator tech, or better yet a Predator clan on the hunt. An off planet hunt while an interesting concept probably won't be what this movie will dabble into. Describing it as an event film has me cautious yet optimistic.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 13, 2016, 09:37:01 PM
Quote from: XENOMORPHOSIS on Apr 13, 2016, 09:28:40 PM

I'm disappointed about that. It was a long shot at best but I was really hoping for it. It would have been something quite different.

That said, I'm still looking forward to seeing more of this. Shane Black's involvement has me quite excited!

We'll always have Predator Dark Age, as long as fan filmmakers keep under the radar until their predator fan film is released online on the public domain they'll be at less risk of being sued by Fox/ cease and desist like Alien Identity, or that Punisher fan movie Marvel had sent a cease and desist on.

Few movie goers may not have cared for a movie set in the past, I saw comments on a youtube video announcing Shane's Predator, they speculated its plot and dismissed it being set in the past viewing that as isolated incident and irrelevant, that came across as obscene and close minded.

There are endless possibilities to see Predators hunt throughout earths history. One rumor went around it would have foretold the back story of the Yutja from the original predator, who he was and how he became an established hunter. But that's been disproven. Interesting but it would demystify that Predator in a way :-[

Corporal Hicks

I think quite a lot of movie goers would be interested in seeing a Predator film set in a different timeline. That's just obviously not the story Shane Black wanted to tell unfortunately.

Like you said, we'll always have Dark Ages. Also - I wouldn't really expect to get any intelligent discussion out of the comments section on YouTube. I wouldn't worry too much about them.

overthere

I assumed this from the start. It seems like they're still not sure what exactly they want to do though.

Predator_Spirit

Good new because Arnold is -this close- to be involved.

The Alien Predator

I'm not surprised. I had a feeling it was going to be set in the present day. It's a trend with the Predator franchise, to usually be set in the year it comes out or close to it.

Only the EU seems to explore various eras.

RakaiThwei

Alright, so it's set in the present..

Now where's it going to be set, and what's the story? These things... I wanna know.

If I'm gonna get behind this movie, I gotta know these things. I've got a little hope riding on this.. Just a little bit of hope.

DaddyYautja

How long were the breaks that the hunts were supposed to take place?

Cause it seems like they dropped that idea at this point, right?

FUBAR1945

I think hes still thinking about that pussy.

LordCassusSnow

So their gonna Terminator Genesys us by setting it on present day earth again? Greatly disappointing. Wouldnt be surprised if the golden gate bridge made a appearance as well. This franchise is dead. I doubt we'll get any new info aside from new weapons. Its like fox is trying to destroy aliens and predators on purpose. Ever since Dark Horse and Fox lost star wars, theyve been trying way too hard to cash in on their next big space titles. So much so their running it into the ground. Oh well we still have the originals  ;D

Perfect-Organism

It would make sense if Dutch was a consultant on Predators of sorts.  You know, a guy pushing too many pencils.  Then he is "forced out of retirement" to solve some Predator troubles..

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed