Will Fox attempt to create an Alien/Predator cinematic universe?

Started by That Yellow Alien, Mar 30, 2016, 04:46:51 PM

Author
Will Fox attempt to create an Alien/Predator cinematic universe? (Read 9,277 times)

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

As far as I am concerned... there already is a shared Alien-Predator universe. Kind of like how the ORIGINAL Universal Monsters were a shared universe before the whole shared universe schtick became a fad with the Marvel Cinematic universe. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Having that said, Scott and Blomkamp pretty much say no to the whole shared universe thing... So, I'm willing to bet that until Scott either finishes the Prometheus sequels, and Blomkamp does his Alien 3.2 or Alien retcon movie... we're not gonna be seeing another AVP for a long time.

And honestly? I hope it stays that way..

Until we get a franchise reboot, and Fox decides to do everything seamlessly.. and I mean EVERYTHING. Alien and Predator films.

HuDaFuK

I wouldn't be surprised if Fox would like to do something like that, given that - between Marvel, DC and Star Wars - shared universes are the flavour of the month at the moment.

Whether they should or not... Honestly, I don't think they could pull it off. In my mind it would only work with a series like Alien if it was done really subtly. Sticking teaser scenes in the credits for the next movie really wouldn't gel with such a serious, downbeat franchise.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Apr 04, 2016, 02:29:12 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Fox would like to do something like that, given that - between Marvel, DC and Star Wars - shared universes are the flavour of the month at the moment.

Whether they should or not... Honestly, I don't think they could pull it off. In my mind it would only work with a series like Alien if it was done really subtly. Sticking teaser scenes in the credits for the next movie really wouldn't gel with such a serious, downbeat franchise.

For once, I agree with you.

Corporal Hicks

I agree. I don't think post-credit scenes are really necessary for a shared universe. I'm also unsure if they'd be able to handle it properly.

That said, I'd still like to see some animated (whether traditional or computer) adventures of the Alien or Predators though. I particularly think Predator would suit it.

426Buddy

I would love an animated AvP flick, although if I had a choice with would be traditional animation. It would be great to see them bring the original AvP story for an animated movie, a guy can dream i guess.

RakaiThwei

What I find interesting is that... well... people are kind of forgetting or choosing to forget that the universes have been shared for twenty six years. Twenty seven if we're counting the original EU continuity, but for the films.. let's say twenty six years. I mean did that skull in Predator 2, suddenly lose it's confirmation that there is a shared universe already because of the fan reaction towards the AVP films?

TheBATMAN

I think people do realise it, but they are referring now to a proper shared universe as in one where characters and story lines jump and cross over between films. Whilst I have no doubt Alien: Covenant and The Predator occupy the same universe, we'll never get a proper AVP cinematic crossover franchise, primarily because neither franchise is lucrative enough and that Ridley Scott is against the very concept (and yes, he does have a large say in things regardless considering he's helming the next three Alien pictures).

So unless Scott's new Alien trilogy and Black's Predator series are phenomenally successful, it will forever remain a concept confined to comics and books.

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 05, 2016, 07:46:10 AM
I agree. I don't think post-credit scenes are really necessary for a shared universe. I'm also unsure if they'd be able to handle it properly.

That said, I'd still like to see some animated (whether traditional or computer) adventures of the Alien or Predators though. I particularly think Predator would suit it.

Exactly, just use the violence that the Turok: Son of Stone and Dead Space cartoons used and add in a good storyline with interesting characters, and you get a good R Rated Predator cartoon.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Apr 05, 2016, 10:37:35 PMI mean did that skull in Predator 2, suddenly lose it's confirmation that there is a shared universe already because of the fan reaction towards the AVP films?

The skull was more of an in-joke than anything else, it was hardly intended as definitive proof the Alien and Predator films all happen in the same universe. Winston and co. even said as much, it was a bit of fun thrown in at the last minute because the comic was popular at the time.

Johnny Handsome

I never thought i would say this, but i really hope they will never, ever do another AvP movie. The movies showed us you can't really combine the two franchises without disadvantaging one of the two, might it be with the fights/action or the "worlds" their playing in, the franchises are profoundly different to begin with and in the end of day a movie with both pleases no one.

They burned both creatures so much that they needed almost another 10 years to carefully hire some talent for the franchises again, one of them had to be persuaded to make another one (Shane Black) and the other one was so afraid of the Alien being dead that he decided to not even put the creature in his movie... we all know who i talk about.

For the love of god, keep them seperate.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Apr 07, 2016, 01:48:37 PM
I never thought i would say this, but i really hope they will never, ever do another AvP movie. The movies showed us you can't really combine the two franchises without disadvantaging one of the two, might it be with the fights/action or the "worlds" their playing in, the franchises are profoundly different to begin with and in the end of day a movie with both pleases no one.

I disagree with that assessment. What they need to do is actually play to each species strengths.

RakaiThwei

I wouldn't mind another AVP as long as it's... kind of it's own thing separate (from a continuity standpoint) from the Prometheus-Alien thing which is going on right, and of course separate (again from a continuity standpoint) from PREDATORS and the upcoming film The Predator. Something which just.. branches off somewhere.

Honestly, at this point... Ummm.. unpopular opinion but I'd really like a full on restart on all three franchises, writers collaborate and corroborate on a seamless, more coherent universe. I think that's the only thing I can say I genuinely look forward to.

...Go ahead.. summon your lynch mob.  >:(

Johnny Handsome

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Apr 07, 2016, 02:52:47 PM
Honestly, at this point... Ummm.. unpopular opinion but I'd really like a full on restart on all three franchises, writers collaborate and corroborate on a seamless, more coherent universe. I think that's the only thing I can say I genuinely look forward to.

Please, this is not meant to attack you, but i think you can go now.
I Know that sounds harsh, but le me explain:

If that's really the only thing that can please you, you will never ever be happy no matter what they do in the future with the franchises, that's just not happening. So the question is, why are you still here? Again, i do not mean to attack you, you will have your reasons, but i would like to understand? You're just not happy with anything and you're constantly expressing the disappointment with the franchises and how they do not fit your vision of them... so, normally that's when people give up on certain things in life, even if it's just a hobby.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 07, 2016, 02:41:47 PM
Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Apr 07, 2016, 01:48:37 PM

I disagree with that assessment. What they need to do is actually play to each species strengths.

We disagree then, that's ok.

I lost hope and interest in a movie starring both creatures, the whole concept of the two going against each other just seems tiring to me and i really can't see FOX rebooting this in a great, interesting way or even real talent in Hollywood interested in touching the franchise that became a paradigm for a huge franchise clusterf**k. Everything you can do in an AvP movie, you can do in a seperate and more intersting movie that stays true to the worlds of either franchise, just because it worked in a Comic book doesn't mean it will work as a movie and it think AvP showed that more than clearly.

But to each their own.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Apr 08, 2016, 09:17:38 AM
We disagree then, that's ok.

I lost hope and interest in a movie starring both creatures, the whole concept of the two going against each other just seems tiring to me and i really can't see FOX rebooting this in a great, interesting way or even real talent in Hollywood interested in touching the franchise that became a paradigm for a huge franchise clusterf**k. Everything you can do in an AvP movie, you can do in a seperate and more intersting movie that stays true to the worlds of either franchise, just because it worked in a Comic book doesn't mean it will work as a movie and it think AvP showed that more than clearly.

But to each their own.

That's fair enough. I do think that the scope of the crossover is limited - you are completely right in that each can do it's own separate thing and I do hope we see that kind of thing. I just want to see the crossover done right, at least once. I think it can be done.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Apr 08, 2016, 09:17:38 AM
If that's really the only thing that can please you, you will never ever be happy no matter what they do in the future with the franchises, that's just not happening. So the question is, why are you still here? Again, i do not mean to attack you, you will have your reasons, but i would like to understand? You're just not happy with anything and you're constantly expressing the disappointment with the franchises and how they do not fit your vision of them... so, normally that's when people give up on certain things in life, even if it's just a hobby.

Why am I still here? I even question that myself, so don't think that I feel like I am practically here to just.. troll or something. I love the franchises and while I am disappointed in the way they are going, it's very hard for me to just give something up I've been following for TWENTY ONE years. Something I've had a lot of emotional investment (the stories got me through some very hard times but I doubt anyone would care to listen) and a lot of monetary investment in collecting the movies, comics, novels and games. I've invested so much into them.. and it's HARD to let go of something you love.

You honestly think I want to let go? No, but as a fan who's been following this for twenty one years... I can't help but feel like I'm being left out for a variety of reasons, and then there is this.. gatekeeping mentality from the fandom which I am constantly coming across. Also in regards to a reboot/sequel... you know I constantly fight for the franchises to have more than one continuity to follow, like Godzilla, Halloween or even Highlander-- a multiverse in a sense if you will, or alternate timelines, or at the very, very least-- just divergent, separting canons. I'd be happy with that too..Nothing would really be rebooted, nothing really retconned either. But I'm generally met with disapproval from fellow fans.

But don't think I haven't tried to give this up. I'm trying.. I mean me going back to TMNT is actually a step forward for me to just go on. Really, I know you're not trying to be mean but it kind of comes off that way and I'm explaining to you what it is I'd like so I can still be a part of this and be happy with the franchises.

So why am I here? Hoping against hope I suppose, that the AVP storyline is continued as it's own separate thing one day but hey.. I guess stranger things have happened.

Maybe you'll see me hanging out over at Technodrome Forums.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed