The Predator News Recap Podcast – AvPGalaxy Podcast #34

Started by Corporal Hicks, Mar 23, 2016, 08:27:42 AM

Author
The Predator News Recap Podcast – AvPGalaxy Podcast #34 (Read 6,046 times)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

We have just uploaded our The Predator news recap Podcast, the 34th episode of the AvPGalaxy Podcast. Our usual podcast hosts – myself, RidgeTop and Xenomorphine – are joined by fellow staff member and owner of Monster Legacy, Omegamorph, for his third AvPGalaxy podcast appearance as we discuss The Predator.

For our 34th episode of the AvPGalaxy podcast we recap the news on The Predator.

For our 34th episode of the AvPGalaxy podcast we recap the news on The Predator.

In this episode we recap the news surrounding Shane Black and Fred Dekker’s Predator 4, now known as The Predator. We also speculate on what some of those comments mean and what we hope to see from the next Predator film.

Towards the end of the episode I mention the Wolverine vs Predator episode of Super Power Beat Down starring Jamie Hall, nephew (I erroneously say son) of the original Predator performer, Kevin Peter Hall. I promised I would post a link for those who might not have seen this before.

We’d love to hear what you think about our latest episode. Did you agree or disagree with our any of the hopes or concerns we had regarding The Predator? Or perhaps you just have some comments you’d like to make? Feel free to let us know down below!

426Buddy

awesome, i'll check it out tonight after work.

Man that fan film, the pred suit looks really loose in the abs lol

overthere

As much as I love Predator, Wolverine would probably win in a fight. They also did something interesting that makes sense for a Predator, and that is if they die, it's logical to have automatic self destruction activated.

Corporal Hicks

I think it'd be hard for anyone to really beat Wolverine!  :-\

And sod's law - I release this the day they drop another piece of news about the film.  :laugh:

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 23, 2016, 07:28:39 PM
I think it'd be hard for anyone to really beat Wolverine!  :-\

Actually.. a Predator could beat Wolverine if he had the right equipment, like a smart disc. Any weapon that has a vibrational frequency which can cut on a molecular level would be able to make work of Wolverine's adamantium. Death Battle proved that with their Raiden vs Wolverine fight-- Raiden's blade, which has similar capabilities to a Predator's smart disc was able to cut through Wolverine's neck.

ricky

Predator is one of my favorite Character that ever created.......cant wait to hear more about the new predator that's gonna come out on 2018 ... They say The new Predator is even more advanced than the Predator from (Predators :2010)  ::)  :o

XenoHunter99

It was a good listen. I'm not as Predator-centric as some people. I like the character. The first predator movie always seemed a bit thin to me, and recently re-watching it reinforced that. Compared to contemporaries such as The Terminator or Aliens, there's not much there. And of course, the predator's nuclear gauntlet should have blown the chopper right out of the sky. But that's Hollywood.

I preferred the early going of P2. I think the idea of the Predator going hunting on drug dealers and thugs in an urban environment makes sense. I like the chaos it causes. The Predator becomes a dispenser of justice, too. Unlike A3, where you're supposed to somehow feel for the miscreants or something, you can watch the proceedings with relish. It's interesting and it works in context. The setup of Danny Glover as a policeman investigating the situation also works. It does go off the rails a bit toward the end, but that's how it goes sometimes. And we got to see an Alien skull in the predators' trophy collection.

I think Dark Horse did a lot for the Predators, fleshing them out as a species and putting them in context with the Alien universe. The AVP movie obviously owes quite a lot to Dark Horse. And I don't have a problem with that movie, especially the Director's Cut. The movie gains from the 100-years-ago intro, and I think the disc version plays better than the theatrical release.

AVPR was seriously flawed, but that was down to the directors making a blatant slasher flick with Aliens and a Predator. It was sloppy and the directors took a lot of shortcuts. It was a sort of vapid popcorn movie. And of course, the promos for it spoiled everything. I liked the brief visit to the Predator world and it was a nice nod at the end with the government agents handing the Predator cannon over to "Ms Yutani." I rarely feel the urge to re-watch that movie.

I enjoyed Predators. I thought the setup was interesting and the movie played well enough. Like Ridgetop, I thought it would have a sequel. But that never happened.

For the new movie, I have the same position as for Covenant. I expect it to be a disaster. So, anything short of a disaster will be okay. Maybe that's not fair? I think Shane Black as a director is not so different from Zack Snyder. They try to do ambitious things, and those things don't always work. But they're competent film makers. So, even if you don't completely buy what they're selling, you know it's not for their lack of trying. At the very least, I think we can expect The Predator to be a fairly entertaining movie. We'll see.

Again, good job on the podcast. :)

426Buddy

Another good podcast fellas, very interesting thoughts. I gotta say I connected with a lot of what omegamorph had to say. Especially the configuration of the mandibles. The first two predator film designs have wildly different looks but the operation and the design of the mandible animatronic was perfect. Everything since has looked bad to me, more fake at least. I also agree with the skin textures of the avp predators, so rubbery and fake to me. Wolf was a great design and I would say the best since P2 but again the movement and look of the mouth region just looks wrong and prop like to me. I would like to see a return to Stan Winston studios myself.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: XenoHunter99 on Mar 24, 2016, 07:14:12 PM
It was a good listen. I'm not as Predator-centric as some people. I like the character. The first predator movie always seemed a bit thin to me, and recently re-watching it reinforced that. Compared to contemporaries such as The Terminator or Aliens, there's not much there. And of course, the predator's nuclear gauntlet should have blown the chopper right out of the sky. But that's Hollywood.

It's not for everyone, of course. Whilst the series are linked and probably will remain linked for a long time, it's easy to forget that sometimes people don't enjoy all of the series.

QuoteI rarely feel the urge to re-watch that movie.

I never feel the urge myself. It's been about 6 years since I last watched it.

QuoteI enjoyed Predators. I thought the setup was interesting and the movie played well enough. Like Ridgetop, I thought it would have a sequel. But that never happened.

I'm not blind to the films flaws but I love Predators. I hold it up alongside Predator in terms of preference.

QuoteFor the new movie, I have the same position as for Covenant. I expect it to be a disaster. So, anything short of a disaster will be okay. Maybe that's not fair? I think Shane Black as a director is not so different from Zack Snyder. They try to do ambitious things, and those things don't always work. But they're competent film makers. So, even if you don't completely buy what they're selling, you know it's not for their lack of trying. At the very least, I think we can expect The Predator to be a fairly entertaining movie. We'll see.

It's saddening to see that many of the fans are at a point where we just expect to be disappointed now.  :'(

QuoteAgain, good job on the podcast. :)

Thanks. :)

Quote from: 420Buddy on Mar 26, 2016, 03:30:50 PM
I gotta say I connected with a lot of what omegamorph had to say. Especially the configuration of the mandibles. The first two predator film designs have wildly different looks but the operation and the design of the mandible animatronic was perfect.

That was never something that really bothered me. I think I'm going to have to go watch and watch for it.

QuoteEverything since has looked bad to me, more fake at least. I also agree with the skin textures of the avp predators, so rubbery and fake to me. Wolf was a great design and I would say the best since P2 but again the movement and look of the mouth region just looks wrong and prop like to me. I would like to see a return to Stan Winston studios myself.

Whilst the ADI skin bothered me, Predators' Predators looked great to me!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed