2016 Alien Anthology card set

Started by Machiko Naguchi, Mar 16, 2016, 03:31:34 AM

Author
2016 Alien Anthology card set (Read 38,839 times)

windebieste

windebieste

Get your bills paid, make sure enough food is in the fridge and put a few dollars into savings each pay day, be it $5 or $50.  Anything left over is yours to do what ever the Hell you want.  Anything.  Whether it be fill your life with trading cards, over priced ugly assed toys or anything else;  it becomes a justifiable reward when all that other RL shit is outta the way.

There's no arguments, then.  Especially if you make it clear to her that she's just as entitled as you are to spending the excess funds on whatever you like.   We work hard to keep our house afloat, it's only fair we get rewarded for our efforts.

-Windebieste.

Machiko Naguchi

If there is no binder with it then I guess its back to the custom binder guy on ebay lol

PRJ_since1990

The more I think about it I think I do want to get a few packs when this releases. I'm sorry for asking, but when is this set to come out?

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: PRJ_since1990 on Mar 20, 2016, 12:07:41 AM
The more I think about it I think I do want to get a few packs when this releases. I'm sorry for asking, but when is this set to come out?

End of the month, I believe. 

Machiko Naguchi

That's what it has said on the sites I have seen. Though since they have had hardly any promotion I have wondered if it is going to get delayed or something.

Mr. Domino

Mr. Domino

Ugh...here's hoping these will still be available for a while. All my funding's being devoted to trying to make the Aliens cast reunion at Comicpalooza for the moment.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I asked my local about this again and no new info yet.

http://gogts.net/2016-upper-deck-alien-anthology-trading-cards/

I've come across the Upper Deck presentation on the set though.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Haha loving the idea of those propaganda cards, although why are they done in such a 1930s style?

FiorinaFury161

I went to my local sports/non sports cards retailer yesterday and asked about these. He said they might get a box or two. He also claimed that they will more than likely not get a case due to that they don't want to sit on the unsold boxes. I told them that the boxes will have no problem selling, esp. since they are on ebay and such ;D

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Mar 23, 2016, 12:18:43 PM
Haha loving the idea of those propaganda cards, although why are they done in such a 1930s style?

As a product designer, I can tell you that design can be cyclical.  Old ideas often resurface in the strangest of ways, and with new twists.  Most likely the designers of the posters are just referencing the classic posters of that era as a terrific propaganda tool.  They could also be doing that "in-universe", whereby the style of the 1930's could resurface in the 2100's (or whatever the era happens to be).  There really is no rhyme or reason for it.  Sometimes, individual designers or architects will come up with something clever, and the rest of the design community will follow along like sheep.  Take the ipod for example.  How many products have we seen which follow its overall contours since it came out?  Lots.  In the future, there may be this vibe of trying to convince people to do something heroic and monumental and move out to the stars.  What better way to convince people to do that then by referencing some of the most potent propaganda posters in history?

By the same token, the old-school look of the Nostromo gear could be intended to act as an "instrument of comfort" for space travellers.  The designers of the future may be living in a zeitgeist which harkens back to a by-gone era, and designing their products accordingly.  All products tend to be a reflection of their times, or an intentional counter-point of their times.  Consider the Mini brand of automobiles.  They deliver a styling which was at its zenith in the 1950's.  And yet, it is perfectly on point today, precisely because it counter-points what is happening in design.

PRJ_since1990

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Mar 23, 2016, 12:18:43 PM
I really like them too HuDa, but I think the 30's style is very reminiscent of the "used-future" look, not to mention similar posters were ubiquitous throughout Amanda's travels on Sevastapol.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

It's more that we've never seen that style used in the series at all before now. Hence why it strikes me as an odd choice.

Corporal Hicks

As PRJ said though, Isolation had some similar style posters throughout Sevastapol.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Did it?

I honestly don't recall seeing those. I swear I missed so much in that game because I was just too terrified to do any sightseeing :laugh:

windebieste

windebieste

'ALIEN: Isolation' deserves its own set of trading cards.

-Windebieste.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed