The Predator to be Released February 9, 2018

Started by Darkness, Feb 28, 2016, 09:00:14 AM

Author
The Predator to be Released February 9, 2018 (Read 45,874 times)

THE CITY HUNTER

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Mar 01, 2016, 05:36:13 PM
Quote from: Mike on Mar 01, 2016, 04:18:01 PM
Some people over emphasize Predators 2010 way too much. It had homages/ Easter eggs to the first movie.

No, Predator 2 had easter eggs/homages to the first movie, Predators on the other hand ripped off whole scenarios from the first movie.

Royce setting up traps covered in mud yelling "kill me, I'm here"
Lawrence fishburne wispering "over here" followed by Royce saying "what the f**k are you", both from the first movie
Nikolai carrying a minigun and generally looking like a Blaine rip-off
the whole goupe firing all at the same time into the jungle (the shot is even framed the same way)
a character (mombasa) that can sense the Predator in the trees followed by "what is it?"
a character left behind to fight the Predator with a sword (even same score for the scene)
the characters hiding in the jungle hearing something (again using the same score, making the scene that could actually be suspenseful feel like a cheap knock-off)
waterfall scene
royce skewering a cockroach and looking at it (instead of a scorpion)

There is even more, and some of the things i like (like the eye-flash from the Predator) but in the movie it feels just like this stuff is way too overused, yes, the movie gave us a couple of new things, like the dogs, which i like, but they are in it for five minutes, we only ever get a glimpse of the falcon and that's basically it. New clan of better Predators? Bigger and more evil? Well, 3 of them couldn't take out a bunch of criminals where in the first movie one "normal" one took out a whole team of experienced soldiers... ohh the logic...

To each his own, but for me, this is by far the weakest of the 3 movies.
Predators was the weakest out of the three but not a bad movie on its own.

Mike

Mike

But those are subtle nods nothing too extreme. Royce did reference Dutch at the beginning of the fight but it works because he was trying to get Mr Blacks attention. I really do not understand the criticism for this film at all. People will say it's the exact same thing ( which I disagree 100%) but was it BAD?? Let's just say it was a shot for shot remake which it is NOT that does not make it bad! You still have A Oscar winning actor as your lead as well as the other actors all did amazing. Predators nods were only Subtle SUBTLE with the exception of ONE scene identical but people will jump on the hate wagon for this film and say it sucked because it was a remake of Predator. This film was hard R from the start you have great actors a Director who knows how to keep the  suspense flowing through. I have seen Nimrods Antals Vacancy and what a great suspenseful thriller it was. Armored was good too with Laurance Fishburne as well in it so this guy has a good track wreckord so far. To each there own but I just don't understand the hate for this film and Predator 2 as well.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Mike on Mar 01, 2016, 05:48:47 PMBut those are subtle nods nothing too extreme.

They were about as subtle as a Predator walking up and sitting on your face.

Johnny Handsome

Quote from: Mike on Mar 01, 2016, 05:48:47 PM
But those are subtle nods nothing too extreme. Royce did reference Dutch at the beginning of the fight but it works because he was trying to get Mr Blacks attention. I really do not understand the criticism for this film at all. People will say it's the exact same thing ( which I disagree 100%) but was it BAD?? Let's just say it was a shot for shot remake which it is NOT that does not make it bad! You still have A Oscar winning actor as your lead as well as the other actors all did amazing. Predators nods were only Subtle SUBTLE with the exception of ONE scene identical but people will jump on the hate wagon for this film and say it sucked because it was a remake of Predator. This film was hard R from the start you have great actors a Director who knows how to keep the  suspense flowing through. I have seen Nimrods Antals Vacancy and what a great suspenseful thriller it was. Armored was good too with Laurance Fishburne as well in it so this guy has a good track wreckord so far. To each there own but I just don't understand the hate for this film and Predator 2 as well.
I don't hate the movie, i like it overall, but even the people who love the movie will say that the movie uses way too many "homages", using a lot less and actually replacing them with original ideas would have really helped the movie stand on it's own. I actually quite like Brody as Royce and i will still say they casted him right by going into a different direction... only to have him mutter Schwarzenegger one-liners though? They could have done better. Predators at times feels really great and it starts as a hell of a ride, i love the first 15 - 20 minutes, but then the movie starts to feel like a high budget youtube-fan film that ran out of ideas in the middle of the movie.

Corporal Hicks

Whilst I think the issue with the homages in Predators is often blown out of proportion but I do hate the reuse of dialogue. And I hate it most sequels. If I have one wish for The Predator it is to not hear a single piece of dialogue from the older movies.

Master

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Mar 01, 2016, 06:39:48 PM
Quote from: Mike on Mar 01, 2016, 05:48:47 PM
I don't hate the movie, i like it overall, but even the people who love the movie will say that the movie uses way too many "homages", using a lot less and actually replacing them with original ideas would have really helped the movie stand on it's own. I actually quite like Brody as Royce and i will still say they casted him right by going into a different direction... only to have him mutter Schwarzenegger one-liners though? They could have done better. Predators at times feels really great and it starts as a hell of a ride, i love the first 15 - 20 minutes, but then the movie starts to feel like a high budget youtube-fan film that ran out of ideas in the middle of the movie.

Very well put. Seriously insted of giving us more of strange alien game preserve world, we have earth like jungle with nearly nothing new or interesting.  Noland was a waste. Predator mythos could have been so enriched that way.

Mike

Mike

Noland was NOT a waste BECAUSE the next movie was suppose to be a Noland Ronald Prequel showing the events to when Noland was dropped on the planet and how he survived very long.

Danny Harrigan

Danny Harrigan

March '18? ???
Why do they think this is a good date to relase The Predator? We have to wait 2 year from now for a movie wich has a final script since last November and drafting started around summer 2014...they bring Covenant to August so they cant play Predator in July?

Withoute the 2017 relase Fox miss the 30th anniversary to celebrate the original and even the summer seson which could make more money for the film.

2017 is also an important date for the series because of 1987 1997..2017 could be the present day set of the story as the Predators visiting Eart in every ten years.2007 should be for Predators.
Predators story could work almost the same if it takes place in South America on Earth.The film sets in an earth like jungle as Master said .
With little differences like Noland could land with the others and part of the most of the movie and getting crazy just like he did.Royce with the group cant get out of the area until they cant kill the Predators no matter they on Eart or not just like in the original.
The movie could work with only one yautja as well and in the end Royce and Isabell could walk away from the scene just like they did(they thought what?They've seen new group arriving for new hunt and they smoothly walking away..what??:-)) because they on Earh in South America. Now..lets find a way home ::)

Master

Quote from: Mike on Mar 01, 2016, 10:23:12 PM
Noland was NOT a waste BECAUSE the next movie was suppose to be a Noland Ronald Prequel showing the events to when Noland was dropped on the planet and how he survived very long.

But it didn't. It's  also not need. We know how he survived.

Anonymous

Anonymous

I think March is a good date because it's the beginning of Spring and its away from all the Summer Blockbuster movies that are going to make a lot of money. It's cool because you don't see that much big titles come out in the beginning of the year. Alien comes out in August which it will be in theaters at least 3 to 4 months and the remaining 4 months will be when the Bluray comes out.

Corporal Hicks

Whilst I generally agree with you, Mike, I disagree here. Nolan was one of the disappointments of Predators to me. He came across far too comical in his portrayal and was barely in it.

Johnny Handsome

That actually makes it worse, because since we obviously don't get that movie, his character was really a waste.

His only purpose was to tell us the difference between the two Predators, slowing down the pace of the movie while he's at it.

Then they blast his ass off in a ridiculous CGI Explosion minutes later, again, they could have done so much better/more with the character, Fishburne is great, but greatly underused here.

HuDaFuK

Yeah, Noland really was wasted. It was a great opportunity to see someone who'd been driven genuinely insane by all the carnage they'd witnessed and experienced while trapped on this alien planet for years, but the writing and performance were so cartoony and over-the-top it killed any serious undertones the part could've had.

Fishburne's normally great, but he kinda sucked in Predators.

Mike

Mike

It's not a waste it's called a good story telling. But then you have things that get in your way like box office results the studio changed heads at the time which we did not get the sequel right after.

Mike

Mike

Also I don't think he was a waste because Noland said he survived for 10 seasons which is along long time but then he made a run for it and Tracker found him like that! And he was killed so fast. I think it goes to show that this planet is VERY dangerous and Noland is considered very lucky he survived that long before. Noland and Royce were both the ultimate survivors but when Noland decloacks behind Royce earlier in the film you can't help but get chills that Noland is just so badass for surviving on this Planet full of danger.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed