1979 Kenner ALIEN Complete Restoration.

Started by windebieste, Jan 23, 2016, 08:23:07 AM

Author
1979 Kenner ALIEN Complete Restoration. (Read 6,508 times)

elemental-of-all

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 09, 2016, 09:37:57 AM
Quote from: windebieste on Mar 09, 2016, 07:46:14 AM
The post count limit is probably attributed to posting the images as Attachments.

That's just how the attachments work, I'm afraid.

That's OK. I only took 8 photos anyways :P so I'll post the others in this reply.

Thanks for taking a look windebieste.

Here are a few more photos to get a better sense of the condition. You make it sound a lot better than it is. I'll take your word for it given your experience.

My major concern with the wood piece was that it was a replacement for a missing piece. Is there any reason that piece would be in that specific spot?

I'm willing to crack her open but it makes me super nervous. I'm gonna check up on your links there and see what I should do.

I wanna make sure I don't do anything that I can't fix. Becuase reattaching those elastic bands for the arms would be hell for me.

I can't believe some of the prices I'm seeing on eBay though. The main reason I snap bought this figure was becuase it was complete with dome and spike with working arms. I didn't have time to really examine it in store becuasei wanted to gtfo ASAP. (Spent $150 CAD on the figure)

windebieste

windebieste

Ya.  Prices on them are going up.  You can bet you'll get your $150 back if you choose to sell.  No problem there. Take a look at this Ebay item, here's a remote assessment for you.

For $199 you get the figure, but it comes with a multitude of issues:

- Head carapace is missing, you'll spend about $40 for a facsimile replacement or upwards of US$60 for a genuine.

- The dorsal spike on the back is missing, too.  There are a couple of options for this.  At US$22 you can have one ready to install or for around US$7 you can buy one from Spain that needs to be painted to match the figure.

-Judging by the mouth cavity, it looks like the tongue is missing, too.  You can buy the split tongue halves for US$16.99 if you wanted to complete this figure. 

So, purchasing this figure and bringing it up to a 'feature complete' state with the use of reproduction parts you'd be spending a total of US$263 - and that's with the cheap version of the spike.

...but wait! It doesn't end there!  This figure has a number of other issue you might like to be aware of - many of which are irreversible damage and cannot be fixed.  Let's check it out:

- The paint work on the head is noticeably damaged.  It's chipped and worn in many places.  I'd even say it's had a repaint applied to it.  You can safely bet that the repainted areas won't glow in the dark.

- The teeth look dirty and could possibly be cleaned depending on what the coating is.  These can actually be pulled from the jaws and scrubbed, to be returned with no problem.

But these issues are real killers for the figure:

- The elbow spur on the right arm is broken.

- The slot where the dorsal crest is located is damaged. 

- The tip of the tail is missing.

- There's a lot of scarring at the bases of the quad dorsal appendages.

Along with those 4 critical damage issues, 3 of which can't be repaired without replacing those parts I have my suspicions about some of this figure's other features.  The arms may have collapsed into the torso and while this can be repaired, it's a fiddling job to compensate for the missing internal mounting pins.  Also of note is the figure is photographed lying down in all shots.  This would indicate to me that it has trouble standing and both legs are loose at the hips.  This condition is easily fixed.  I seriously doubt this figure can hold a pose with its arms.  There is no indication whatsoever that the jaw activation mechanism is in working order and given all the other issues, it wouldn't surprise me if it's not functioning.

In this heavily degraded condition, the vendor is still asking for US$199 for it.  (I offered him US$100, and he declined.)  Eventually, he will sell it and get what he is asking.  So don't feel bad about your figure.  It's complete.  Just make sure it's got all 12 fingers, the tail tip is present and the elbows have both spurs.  Even without the dome and spike it would be better than this one on offer.

As for the glue and other discolorations of the head of your figure, that can't be altered.  Sorry, but my experience has taught me not to mess with the paint work - even if someone else has already done so and wrecked it.  Just leave it be.  The only option I can offer is to clean off all the discoloration and glue, fill the gap with some decent long lasting filler material, mask the head and respray the surface with some glow in the dark paint.  That's about the best you could do in terms of restoring it.  I've never done this myself and wouldn't recommend it and you may just be best leaving it as is - especially if you don't want to degrade the figure any more.  Mind you, if you do choose to do this, it can be considered to be a custom piece.  Absolutely nothing wrong with that.

I have no idea why someone would mount a piece of wood inside the figure.  You totally got me on that one.  The fact that there is a piece of wood inside is a good indication that the figure has been previously opened and modified. 

You can take the figure apart by undoing the 4 screws in its back and and any point, you can put the figure back together again if you feel uncomfortable with proceeding any further.  That is, if the torso halves haven't been glued together.  The presence of adhesive elsewhere on the figure suggest that dismantling it may not be possible.

If the figure hasn't had any glue to the torso, it can still be a stubborn piece of shit to get apart.  I've had some real fights getting the halves to separate on some of these figures; but eventually I won the match.  Every time.  My fingers were sore and tired but the end result was the same.  I got the halves apart and could work on the dismantled figure.   

If the original anchors for the arms are still in place, they shouldn't be a problem.  They both sit on the center mounting post, one on top of the other.  It's likely that yours may have been replaced already.  This can get really interesting if that's the case.

If you do take it apart, it's easy to reassemble. Hold the front torso piece in your hand and add the head, legs and arms to it like you're making a sandwich.  It's easiest if you orient the arms and legs downwards from their connection points so that they are hanging from the torso piece. 

Then place the rear torso along with it's already attached pieces (all the spikes and tail) on top of that.  Ensure everything is aligned properly and then squeeze the halves together.  Then drive in the 4 screws.

Just make sure you get the right and left arms and legs on the correct sides of the body - or you'll be in for some serious lolz. 

It's fiddling the first time you do it and does feel ungainly and cumbersome, but you won't break anything.  You might like to get someone to give you a hand with the reassembly if you like.

-Windebieste.

elemental-of-all

Thanks alot for taking the time to give me your professional opinion.

Part of me really wants to take it apart to see what, if anything, has been replaced. And to show you. (That wood piece really has me curious)

Another part of me wants to take your advice and kind of leave it because it's not in the worst shape.

One thing id like to do becuase its unsightly is file the hardened glue off the head. Would a solvent be the best option?

windebieste

windebieste

Sure!  You can use solvents... 

...if you want to risk dissolving its head.  That might not be be the most desirable result, hey.

On the other hand, if you want to test solvents so that they don't mess with the figure's appearance, you can dismantle the figure and test dab or wipe solvents on one of the interior surfaces of either the front or back torso halves.  If you get a result where the surface begins to dissolve or otherwise react with the plastic, you can cease immediately, wipe away any residue and any scarring will be concealed within the torso.

Normally, I don't like using chemicals on these old figures for these very reasons.  Especially such things as solvents and paint removers.  You can end up in tears if the result is more damage to the figure. 

If the glue is old, it may be perished enough to just chip away manually.  Just be careful not to scar the figure.  Sometimes the glue just chips off - sometimes it won't.

I hate glue.   >:(

-Windebieste.

Oh, speaking of custom work on figures.  I have this very incomplete, very degraded figure and it will get custom treatment.  It's the only way to go on this figure.  Aside from it missing obvious critical pieces, like the arms, spike, carapace and mouth parts; every one of its parts from the mutilated face right down to the chewed up tail tip, every single piece of this figure is damaged to some degree. 

Oh, Man. Just wait until I write up the assessment on this figure.  The obvious problems are just the start of a very long list.

Now, I could put it up on ebay and I'd probably get US$100 if I waited long enough.  After all, it's easy to swap out the parts on these figures and someone needing legs or a head would love this - even if every part is ruined.  A damaged part on a figure is better than none at all. 

But that's not going to be the fate of this figure.  This one has a special destiny.  This one will undergo full customisation from the top of his head to the tips of his toes.  I just need to get the miscellaneous parts to complete it.  They're on their way and it will take a while for them to arrive but I've already made my mind up about what to do with this seriously damaged item.

Mind you, I still haven't finished documenting the current one I have on the go at Mego Museum.  Once that one is finished (and those parts arrive) customising this unfortunate soul and making something special out of it will be the next item on my agenda. 

-Windebeiste.

elemental-of-all

elemental-of-all

I really look forward to seeing the progress made on the custom alien. Make sure to keep us posted.

As for solvents. You mention you don't like using them, would you have a reccomendation on one you have used that yielded decent results?

Or should I stay clear all together and try to chip the glue off? Seems like chipping it off is high risk/high reward.

windebieste

I'm not a big fan of solvents in general.  Also, in terms of what you want to achieve, an appropriate solvent that will remove the glue without damaging the figure is going to be dependent upon the type of glue that was used on the figure in the first place.  I'm not a chemist so I can't advise you on what to use in this regard.

I have used nail polish remover and it worked OK on removing paint (I tested it inside the figure before applying it to the exterior) but I've never used a solvent to remove glue. 

Another option you may consider is polishing the glue off of the figure.  I have had varying degrees of success by doing so.  On that previous figure I restored, I polished a lot of glue off of it.  Polished it so much, the arms had no friction where they joined at the shoulder and the figure couldn't hold a pose no matter what I did to tension the arms (I ended up very carefully adding the coarseness back to the surface by lightly using very fine sand paper.)  Polishing will take some effort, but it could work.  It may also remove the paint from the head so it is - as you say - a risk/reward situation. 

I use this stuff for polishing the figure:

and this too, as it gives good results as well:

These are good for removing scratches and glue (to varying degrees - depends on the type of glue) and gives the figure a great finish. 

-Windebieste

windebieste

windebieste

I just finished my 2nd online documentation of the restoration of one of these wonderful vintage figures. 

You can read about its full rehabilitation on pages 5 and 6  at MegoMuseum.

Restoration of figure No.21 in my log book, 'Hercules'

-Windebieste.

windebieste

A medium sized box of welcome goodies arrived on my doorstep today.  Here's wot was in it:

Miscellaneous original Kenner Alien parts - almost enough or a complete figure.  Also in the
box were the following reproduction parts: 10x Domes, 6 shoulder spikes, 6x split tongues
and 4x sets of teeth. 

I have immediate use for the original arms and tail. The rest of the original Kenner parts will go into my spare parts box.  All of the repro stuff will get used more or less immediately to complete figures that need these parts. 

In case you're wondering, yes.  This has been an expensive exercise... and, yes again.  I have good reason for all this stuff.  You'll see. 

Eventually...  ;D

-Windebieste.

Corporal Hicks

windebieste

Oh yeah.  Custom boxes are of interest to me, for sure!.  Custom box design is an art in its own right. 

It's odd that you mention this being available (sold, actually), a co-incidence, actually.  This fellow only just recently listed his custom black painted Kenner Alien on Ebay inside a Japanese Takara inspired box of his own design. 

Apparently, he sent photos of the box to Super 7 a few years ago and it inspired the company to design the box art for the packaging of the little Alien sofubi from Super7xSecret Base around it.

Effectively making that 18" tall custom box design now available on Ebay not only a unique custom sale item but also the concept package design for the diminutive Exclusive 4" tall SDCC 2014 released figure. ...in a greatly overscaled format.

-Windebieste.

windebieste

I Just finished documenting a lengthy process regarding the use of reproduction parts and their role in restoring one of these old figures at Megomuseum.

Douglas Adams is now complete, using a variety of repro and genuine parts.  The result was good, considering how badly beaten up this figure was when it first arrived on my doorstep, the home of old beat up Aliens.  lol.   

Finally, I will get around to working on that custom item I meant to get started on...  That one is next on my list.

-Windebieste.

Corporal Hicks

Thanks for sharing, Winde.

windebieste

...but of course!  ;D

I've commenced working on the previously delayed customisation figure

Hopefully this will go well.  I've not done this to one of these figures before.

-Windebieste.

windebieste

Work is proceeding well on this customisation.  Finally, here's the custom figure concept art:

You can read more as this progresses.

-Windebieste.

Corporal Hicks

That. Is. Brilliant! I can't wait to see this.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed