Katherine Waterston Cast as Daniels

Started by hfeldhaus, Dec 17, 2015, 11:51:13 PM

Author
Katherine Waterston Cast as Daniels (Read 32,399 times)

hfeldhaus

hfeldhaus

ALIEN: COVENANT Casts Katherine Waterston In The Lead Role Of 'Daniels'

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/markcassidycbm/news/?a=129080

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

In some of her photos she looks kind of like of Sigourney don't you think...

Semaka

Semaka

To me, she looks like Amanda Ripley in Alien Isolation.

XENOMORPHOSIS

Hmm, curious to see how she pulls off the Ripley esque strong female character of Daniels, still concerned if her character is to over shadow replace Shaw's role as central protagonist.

I just really hope they don't pull off some contrived twist that she's related to Ellen Ripley. Not only is an inclusion like that so incredibly forced, comes off as a desperate attempt to connect the film to the series's popular recognizable character.

But also the insurmountable odds that Ripley as well as a distant relation coincidentally whined up in the same situation of encountering xeno.

It was a stretch that Ripley's daughter Amanda Ripley was to be the central character in Alien Isolation, though the game its was decent that it appears to have been given a pass. Though I wonder how Amanda makes it out of her predicament at the end of the game as we see in the cliff hanger. They'll either resolve it in a sequel game, or just not. Wonder how that connects to Amanda's fate where she lives out the rest of her life dies at old age, as told be Burke to Ripley in the Aliens special edition.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: XENOMORPHOSIS on Dec 18, 2015, 11:27:14 AM
It was a stretch that Ripley's daughter Amanda Ripley was to be the central character in Alien Isolation, though the game its was decent that it appears to have been given a pass.

When it was first announced I thought it would be incredibly contrived. It turned out to not be the case.

I have the same fear for if Daniels ends up being related to Ripley.

And in case anyone else was having vague memories of the name Daniels being related to Ripley previously, one of the comics (Earth Angels, terrible comic) has a Daniel Ripley encountering the Aliens.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 18, 2015, 07:31:17 AMIn some of her photos she looks kind of like of Sigourney don't you think...

More like Shailene Woodley, especially the image at the top of this thread.

Quote from: XENOMORPHOSIS on Dec 18, 2015, 11:27:14 AMIt was a stretch that Ripley's daughter Amanda Ripley was to be the central character in Alien Isolation, though the game its was decent that it appears to have been given a pass.

How is it a stretch? She's looking for her mum. There's literally no better reason for Amanda to get involved than that. I was worried it would be a stretch when they announced she was in it, but in the end it made complete sense for her to be the central character.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 18, 2015, 11:57:51 AMI have the same fear for if Daniels ends up being related to Ripley.

I really hope not. It worked once in Isolation, it would be a stretch to use it twice. I hope Ridley didn't see the reception it got in the game and think that it suddenly seems like a great idea to stick in more relatives.

PsyKore

What if Ridley ignored Isolation? I don't know how he feels about video games, but he could possibly take the concept of Amanda from AI and inject it into Covenant via this Daniels character.

But I think we may be jumping the gun a bit with this, haha.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: PsyKore on Dec 18, 2015, 12:12:16 PMWhat if Ridley ignored Isolation? I don't know how he feels about video games, but he could possibly take the concept of Amanda from AI and inject it into Covenant via this Daniels character.

Considering these films will "lead in" to the original Alien, this has to be taking place before Ellen goes missing.

PsyKore

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Dec 18, 2015, 12:13:16 PM
Quote from: PsyKore on Dec 18, 2015, 12:12:16 PMWhat if Ridley ignored Isolation? I don't know how he feels about video games, but he could possibly take the concept of Amanda from AI and inject it into Covenant via this Daniels character.

Considering these films will "lead in" to the original Alien, this has to be taking place before Ellen goes missing.

Ah yes, I stupidly forgot that. I must be tired, haha.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Dec 18, 2015, 12:06:40 PM
How is it a stretch? She's looking for her mum. There's literally no better reason for Amanda to get involved than that. I was worried it would be a stretch when they announced she was in it, but in the end it made complete sense for her to be the central character.

Exactly. What they did with her inclusion and the plot made complete sense and dispelled any worry I had about it being ridiculous.

Xenomorphine

Quote from: PsyKore on Dec 18, 2015, 12:12:16 PM
What if Ridley ignored Isolation? I don't know how he feels about video games, but he could possibly take the concept of Amanda from AI and inject it into Covenant via this Daniels character.

But I think we may be jumping the gun a bit with this, haha.

He very probably will. There hasn't been any indication he's played anything much in the way of computer games, let alone that one.

For me, 'Isolation' is at odds with canon (both in terms of Amanda's inclusion and the way the Alien can be avoided). It's a nice little 'what if' and very beautifully presented, but I can't find it within me to care about it being discarded from the official continuity. A part of me even hopes it is.

Shinawi

Shinawi

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 18, 2015, 07:31:17 AM
In some of her photos she looks kind of like of Sigourney don't you think...
It depends on her facial expression. She looks like Carly Rae Jepsen when she smiles. She looks like Leelee Sobieski when she laughs. She looks like Dorothy Kilgallen when she looks serious.

XENOMORPHOSIS

XENOMORPHOSIS

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 18, 2015, 07:31:17 AMIn some of her photos she looks kind of like of Sigourney don't you think...

More like Shailene Woodley, especially the image at the top of this thread.

Quote from: XENOMORPHOSIS on Dec 18, 2015, 11:27:14 AMIt was a stretch that Ripley's daughter Amanda Ripley was to be the central character in Alien Isolation, though the game its was decent that it appears to have been given a pass.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 18, 2015, 11:57:51 AMI have the same fear for if Daniels ends up being related to Ripley.

I really hope not. It worked once in Isolation, it would be a stretch to use it twice. I hope Ridley didn't see the reception it got in the game and think that it suddenly seems like a great idea to stick in more relatives.

Forgive me I was merely referring to my initial reaction when I heard Ripley's daughter was put in the game feeling it was stretch putting a character who's not The Ellen Ripley but Amanda Ripley being put in that identical situation. But it worked in the end because of her goal of trying to search for her long lost mother was integral to the game's plot as you so put it. Didn't feel forced. Sorry I should have emphasized more on how our concerns of it being a stretched were thankfully proven wrong.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 18, 2015, 12:39:01 PM

Exactly. What they did with her inclusion and the plot made complete sense and dispelled any worry I had about it being ridiculous.

True, Amanda being in the game was justified owing to her goal of searching for her Mum. I was merely referring to the initial reaction we had that Ripley's daughter Amanda whom's only mention in the Aliens special edition. But she had a reason that for being in the game and it wasn't forced. I should have emphasized more on how our concerns were proven wrong.

Perfect-Organism

Don't know if that's the intent but she could pass for Sigourney with a different hairstyle.

HuDaFuK

I'm really not seeing Sigourney in her.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed