Dark Horse Announces "Predator: Life and Death" (FaS-style Crossover)

Started by Ultramorph, Dec 11, 2015, 12:07:00 AM

Author
Dark Horse Announces "Predator: Life and Death" (FaS-style Crossover) (Read 130,695 times)

Corporal Hicks

I just mean in as in the Colonial Marines are aware that there is actually something there, it's not just someone being crazy. I'm not talking about them knowing the Predator's mum's bra-size or anything.

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 06, 2016, 08:30:48 PM
I just mean in as in the Colonial Marines are aware that there is actually something there, it's not just someone being crazy. I'm not talking about them knowing the Predator's mum's bra-size or anything.

OMG!  :laugh:

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 06, 2016, 08:30:48 PM

Okay, that got a chuckle out of me!

happypred

So we get proper action in this one...not just another build-up?

Corporal Hicks

Maybe a little bit more than in the previous issue. I feel it's going to be #3 where it all explodes though.

happypred

Spoiler
RIP Hive Wars...he didn't even get to use his scythe
[close]

Corporal Hicks

Spoiler
I'm not sold on him being dead yet.
[close]

Perfect-Organism

Ok, I just picked up #1, and 2 last night and read them.  The story is ok, albeit very derivative.  Something is amiss, so USCM goes to investigate.  All hell breaks loose.  This time... it's Predators.  It really uses and abuses the same basic language that was used in the film Aliens.  I mean that film was iconic for its one-liners.  I don't need to hear them repeated or minor variations thereof in every new Aliens related series.  I mean that was trite several series ago.  If someone starts to yell "we're gonna die, we're gonna die" that will be the nail in the coffin for this series, for me anyway.

The color palette in these books is completely unhinged.  I mean the colors are everywhere all over the map.  You may have these earth-tones blending into baby blue, and then a panel done in one big red color fill.  There is no cohesion.  That makes it a chore to look at the panels.

The drawn art is ok.  No more no less.

426Buddy

Not the greatest start to the series, but still lots of time to improve. I actually like the color scheme and art though.

XenoZipper

I also read issue #1 & #2 yesterday. It's so so at the moment. Issue #2 was a little more fan service on the USCM than I would have liked. Too many little one liners & having characters be too much like those in Aliens (definitely referring to the 2 Smartgunners acting pretty much like Drake & Vasquez even calling each other Badass doing the hand slap. It kinda made me facepalm a little bit but I'm interested to see where the story goes. I hope this doesn't become an all the time thing with Dark Horse just making stories that get spread out between Pred, Aliens, Prometheus & AvP. Once in a while is ok I guess but I want individual stories from each not interlocking stories all the time.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: XenoZipper on Apr 07, 2016, 04:19:59 PM
I also read issue #1 & #2 yesterday. It's so so at the moment. Issue #2 was a little more fan service on the USCM than I would have liked. Too many little one liners & having characters be too much like those in Aliens (definitely referring to the 2 Smartgunners acting pretty much like Drake & Vasquez even calling each other Badass doing the hand slap. It kinda made me facepalm a little bit but I'm interested to see where the story goes. I hope this doesn't become an all the time thing with Dark Horse just making stories that get spread out between Pred, Aliens, Prometheus & AvP. Once in a while is ok I guess but I want individual stories from each not interlocking stories all the time.

Aliens Defiance apparently is not intended to cross over into Predator territory.  But I agree with all of the above.  Its fan over-service now.  Stop already.  I bet you now the roles will be reversed and the female smartgunner will play the Hudson role.

XenoZipper

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Apr 07, 2016, 04:59:45 PM
Aliens Defiance apparently is not intended to cross over into Predator territory.  But I agree with all of the above.  Its fan over-service now.  Stop already.  I bet you now the roles will be reversed and the female smartgunner will play the Hudson role.

Oh ok that's cool then I was wondering about that. Don't know too much about Defiance yet so I wasn't sure if it was a stand alone or part of this multi-crossover like Fire & Stone. But yea I do agree is fan service overkill at this point. Certain dialogue moments didn't even make much sense for as to why the line was said beyond just being a fan service moment. I could see the smartgunner role being reversed like you said haha Now all it's missing is a someone saying the "you're one ugly.." & have the Predator finish the line off like in P2 or even have a Predator say "Want some candy?" I think I would be done with the story if it goes that route haha

The Alien Predator

Quote from: XenoZipper on Apr 07, 2016, 06:16:26 PM
Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Apr 07, 2016, 04:59:45 PM

Oh ok that's cool then I was wondering about that. Don't know too much about Defiance yet so I wasn't sure if it was a stand alone or part of this multi-crossover like Fire & Stone. But yea I do agree is fan service overkill at this point. Certain dialogue moments didn't even make much sense for as to why the line was said beyond just being a fan service moment. I could see the smartgunner role being reversed like you said haha Now all it's missing is a someone saying the "you're one ugly.." & have the Predator finish the line off like in P2 or even have a Predator say "Want some candy?" I think I would be done with the story if it goes that route haha

Imagine...

"What's the matter? Weyland-Yutani got you pushin' too many pencils?"  ;D

happypred

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 07, 2016, 12:08:11 PM
Spoiler
I'm not sold on him being dead yet.
[close]

Spoiler
He seems dead as a dodo
[close]

RakaiThwei

Wasn't Hive Wars supposed to be a Veteran according to his NECA backstory? Cause if he was a Veteran..

Spoiler
That's why I'm having a hard time in swallowing that he gets punked by a Marine who is in a bloodlust, which.. is the last thing a Marine wants to do and be in a combat situation.
[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed