Dark Horse Announces "Predator: Life and Death" (FaS-style Crossover)

Started by Ultramorph, Dec 11, 2015, 12:07:00 AM

Author
Dark Horse Announces "Predator: Life and Death" (FaS-style Crossover) (Read 131,871 times)

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Feb 09, 2016, 08:55:34 PM
The only way they could belong is if their participation is somehow explained.  So basically we need to have an origin story the explains the Predators, but on the downside, doing that will destroy the mystery of the predators, so nobody wants that.

Pretty much this... and as a Predator fan, I feel that... shoe-horning Predators into the Prometheus angle is very contrived and unnecessary.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Feb 09, 2016, 09:42:37 PM
Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Feb 09, 2016, 08:55:34 PM
The only way they could belong is if their participation is somehow explained.  So basically we need to have an origin story the explains the Predators, but on the downside, doing that will destroy the mystery of the predators, so nobody wants that.

Pretty much this... and as a Predator fan, I feel that... shoe-horning Predators into the Prometheus angle is very contrived and unnecessary.

Yes, its the high school equivalent of forcing the geeks and the jocks to hang out together. No good can come of that.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Feb 09, 2016, 10:16:42 PM
Yes, its the high school equivalent of forcing the geeks and the jocks to hang out together. No good can come of that.

....I still think that the whole AVP thing can work on it's own but throw Prometheus into it? No.. Just... No.

And.. another thing, it's kind of bothering me that we're kind of getting analogies here that the Alien side of things is meant to be for high class aristocrats, and Predator's meant for the peasant, low class redneck... Where did this mentality come from?

The Alien Predator

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Feb 09, 2016, 10:20:35 PM
Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Feb 09, 2016, 10:16:42 PM

....I still think that the whole AVP thing can work on it's own but throw Prometheus into it? No.. Just... No.

And.. another thing, it's kind of bothering me that we're kind of getting analogies here that the Alien side of things is meant to be for high class aristocrats, and Predator's meant for the peasant, low class redneck... Where did this mentality come from?

Where are we getting these analogies from?

I'd have to disagree with the whole outlook that Predator doesn't fit into Prometheus. For me, it's so fun and badass to see them hunt other intelligent races besides humans.

And ever since I saw Prometheus, I always wanted to see a Predator hunt an Engineer so I got my wish thanks to Fire and Stone, and may get to see that dream come true again in future works.

Also, Predator can feel very fleshed out and cerebral when you're reading a well written book like South China Sea or Incursion. It's not for peasants. The Yautja have always been established as the galaxy's hunters, it's kind of their thing.

But I do love to see new and refreshing things be explored, so I'd love to see other aspects such as them going to war with proper war gear like we saw in Extinction. That's why Incursion was so appealing, new setting and a new theme (war). I don't think we ever saw Predators forge an actual alliance with another race.

So I really don't see where this whole "Predators are for peasants" mentality is coming from. Both sides of the franchise appeal to people in their own ways. Alien just tends to dish out more material in general compared to Predator. But both have a huge cultural impact and a cult following.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Guan Thwei 1992 on Feb 09, 2016, 11:37:48 PM

I'm talking about how Perfect-Organism is saying that the Predator franchise is more or less the low-brow red-neck franchise or the jock-ish kind of franchise.

The Alien Predator

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Feb 09, 2016, 11:50:01 PM
Quote from: Guan Thwei 1992 on Feb 09, 2016, 11:37:48 PM

I'm talking about how Perfect-Organism is saying that the Predator franchise is more or less the low-brow red-neck franchise or the jock-ish kind of franchise.

To be fair, Predators are basically alien redneck jocks with some rules.  :laugh:

But I think there's so much more to exploring them with than just hunts. While they're all about the hunt, that doesn't mean all stories should just revolve around that.

Lots more can be explored, like what if some species decides to retaliate against them? This will be interesting to see. Incursion comes close but it's not about retaliation.

Spoiler
It's about the Rage using them as target practice, one character notes the irony of using a violent race for this. XD
[close]

I don't think neither franchise is better than the other, it's all based on opinions. I love them both very much but Predator just a little bit more.  :P

Corporal Hicks

Considering the only real presence the Predators has had in this post-Prometheus world is that they like to hunt the Engineers, I think you're both completely blowing it up. Because them wanting to hunt Engineers is completely spot on. They like challenging prey. The Engineers are literally Gods. What's more awesome prey than that?

And the Predator series was hands-down my favourite one out of the Fire and Stone run.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 10, 2016, 08:05:22 AM
The Engineers are literally Gods.

You keep on saying that. Don't you mean "God-like"?

Remember David's phrase? "Mortal after all."

To me, for them to be literal Gods, they would have to be immortal and well.. divine.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

http://bigcomicpage.com/2016/02/09/bcp-interview-dan-abnett-talks-predator-life-and-death/

I've not read this one yet.

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Feb 10, 2016, 08:11:09 AM
To me, for them to be literal Gods, they would have to be immortal and well.. divine.

Their apparent creation of multiple races makes them Gods to me. But I see your point too.

The cover for Prometheus - Life and Death #1. Abnett is writing all 4 series.

RakaiThwei

So, there's going to be an Alien: Life and Death, Prometheus: Life and Death, and an AVP: Life and Death, along with the Predator one?

Did I read that right?

Corporal Hicks

Yes. Just like Fire and Stone.

HuDaFuK

So this is basically going to be the Fire and Stone sequel then?

Probably a good thing they're getting one guy to write the whole shebang this time around.

Corporal Hicks

We don't know if it's an actual sequel. Just that it follows the same format.

The Alien Predator

Considering the only real presence the Predators has had in this post-Prometheus world is that they like to hunt the Engineers, I think you're both completely blowing it up. Because them wanting to hunt Engineers is completely spot on. They like challenging prey. The Engineers are literally Gods. What's more awesome prey than that?

And the Predator series was hands-down my favourite one out of the Fire and Stone run.

Exactly, that's really the whole point of the Predator. In virtually every media featuring a Predator has involved it hunting someone dangerous or challenging.

I mean honestly, what does one expect from a comic featuring Engineers and Predators? The two bro-hugging?  :P

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 10, 2016, 08:15:27 AM
http://bigcomicpage.com/2016/02/09/bcp-interview-dan-abnett-talks-predator-life-and-death/

I've not read this one yet.

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Feb 10, 2016, 08:11:09 AM

Their apparent creation of multiple races makes them Gods to me. But I see your point too.

The cover for Prometheus - Life and Death #1. Abnett is writing all 4 series.

OMG I am so excited for this series now!

Judging by that cover, it seems we may see some more humans meeting Engineers, maybe even in a non-hostile manner who knows? It'd be cool to see more of our interactions with them. Or he might snap like in Prometheus lol. He'd only pause for a second to ask "How did these ants get to my ship from that distant backwater planet?"

RagingDragon

Quote from: Guan Thwei 1992 on Feb 10, 2016, 03:18:01 PM

Exactly, that's really the whole point of the Predator. In virtually every media featuring a Predator has involved it hunting someone dangerous or challenging.

I mean honestly, what does one expect from a comic featuring Engineers and Predators? The two bro-hugging?  :P

Yes, that's pretty obviously implied from calling them 'Predators!' but it doesn't mean it's the only purpose for having them in any story, ever, and it certainly doesn't automatically make for an interesting or good story.

Most appearances of the Predator these days turn him into an anti-hero anyway, and Predator: Fire and Stone was no different. I thought the art was great, and the story was told well enough, but it literally served no purpose other than being 'Engineer vs. Predator' comic book fodder.

We get zero explanation of why there's another Engineer on LV-223, or why after he wakes up he just walks around doing things for no reason. He also just starts yelling and punching shit as soon as he encounters the Predator and Galgo. It's literally Prometheus all over again, same shallow story and all, except this time he blows up in the end.

I mean it was ultimately a pointless story that did nothing to further the universe, and reads like a fan-fiction of someone who just wanted to see an Engineer and Predator go at it. Was it enjoyable? Yeah, on a comic book action level, I guess, but we got plenty of the Super Shredder 3-way deathmatches with the Resident Evil T-Virus in AvP: Fire and Stone. They need to actually go somewhere with the story.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed