Biehn Interview - Newt's Inclusion Confirmed

Started by Xenomorphine, Nov 20, 2015, 01:28:22 AM

Author
Biehn Interview - Newt's Inclusion Confirmed (Read 46,163 times)

Chris!(($$))!

If I had my choice for adult Newt, Imogen Poots. Some of you might remember her from 28 Weeks Later. She was great there. However I think it'd be important that whoever they choose can imitate Carrie Henn's/Newt's accent.

LordCassusSnow

I gotta agree woth Beatnation on this. Ridley has said in the past that he's very competitive and its very apparent in Prometheus. The bit where David is walking around the ship while the human crew was in cryo was something Lance Henrikson was going to do to introduce his android character Bishop in Aliens. The basketball scene because,well, whats better than a backwards shot than a guy goin around in circles on a bicycle and makin it in? Vickers's hull briefing which mirrors the hull briefing in Avp not to mention the whole movie IS Avp but slightly better. Running over infected Fifield was also a version of running over a soldier xeno from Camerons Aliens. Can't really think of anything mimicing Alien 3 except for the religious tone i suppose which adds more significance imo to any religious references in the Alien quadrilogy. The engineer waking up is rather like the newborn or "xenosapien" as it's discovered by the end of the film and mysteriously boards the craft with no explanation how. So if Ridley wants to keep making sequels then this franchise will probably be his last as he's well up there in age. And i'm guessing he didn't want some James Camerons Aliens fanboy to compete with his story so he stuck the Alien title in there as a f**k you to blomkamp pretty much telling him this is my franchise and i'm not letting your story overshadow mine.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: windebieste on Nov 21, 2015, 10:06:28 PM
My apologies for my skepticism but  I've seen too many good opportunities within this series go south to feel confident with the very questionable comments made by someone only tangentially associated with a (delayed) Project.  There's been too much 'He said this...'  'He said that...' throughout the years by too many people involved in various projects resulting in non-events and failings.  Even Scott can't make up what his next movie is going to be called and He's the Man in Charge of that Project.  I'm expected to accept the word of an actor who hasn't been signed up for any part(s), read the script and possibly not even signed an NDA? 

Just to clarify and I know it'll only add fire to your own scepticism but this wasn't a one-on-one with me. It was during a talk at the event. He was asked about his involvement with the project. He said at the minute he'd only talked with Blomkamp who explained the basic premise and intent to him. 

I understand your scepticism, I do but if Biehn was trying to use this as some ploy to raise his profile to get attention for the film, it'd be a terribly bad way to do. Personally I wouldn't be surprised if it was just another way for Blomkamp to get information out there to the ether considering I suspect the reaction to his concept art was largely what got the film greenlit in the first place.

I don't doubt that Biehn has spoken to Blomkamp. Considering his likeness and character was used in some of the concept art, it's quite reasonable to assume that he would be in the next film. I also don't doubt any of these details because it's what we've suspected all along.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Nov 21, 2015, 10:44:25 PMJust look at it like how Halloween IV-VI and Halloween H20, or better yet.. how the Showa and Heisei Godzilla films are considered separate timelines that share a diverging point. Not much of a loss there.

The thing you need to realise is some people don't want that. Just because you think it's a brilliant idea doesn't mean everyone agrees.

It's all well and good saying "Well you've still got your Alien 3 DVD blah blah blah..." but writing off the later films is more than just making a different sequel. It means none of the plot threads/characters/events/whatever from the third and fourth films will ever be followed up ever again. There was room to do some really interesting stuff there - Morse, even Ripley 8 - but that'll all be scrapped if the new movie is just a retcon, and worse if it's a shit retcon they've just f*cked themselves out of some interesting opportunities with the existing continuity.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Nov 23, 2015, 09:12:16 AM
There was room to do some really interesting stuff there - Morse, even Ripley 8 - but that'll all be scrapped if the new movie is just a retcon, and worse if it's a shit retcon they've just f*cked themselves out of some interesting opportunities with the existing continuity.

That's the real pressure for this sequel as far as I'm concerned. It's all well and good assuming you can better those sequels. You need to make sure you actually do to make this worth it.

windebieste

My big concern with all of what we have heard so far about 'ALIEN 5' hasn't been all that positive.  I'm not just talking about the movie; but how divisive it has been amongst fans.  Right now, that division is roughly equal.  It's about half of the Community wants to see Hicks and Ripley return thus 'correcting' issiues that 'ALIEN 3' introduced; and the other half of the Community want to see 'ALIEN 3' (and 'ALIEN: Resurrection') be respected as ligitimate entries in the series.  It really is surprising how much support both sides have.

I believe when a fan base is divided to this extent then something is wrong.  Very, very wrong with such a proposal. 

If I was in Blomkamp's shoes, I'd be investing in getting as much of this fan base on side as much as possible.  To me, that would mean re-assessing his outline for the movie and making some much needed compromises. 

I've said this before but I think most fans would love a sequel to 'ALIENS' that didn't retcon the latter movies in the series.  If fans want an 'ALIENS' sequel, then by all means why does it have to perform any retcon at all?   It's a simple matter of framing the events of a sequel within the same time frame as 'ALIEN 3' but use a fresh cast of characters without attempting to shoe horn deceased favourites back into the series.  Isn't that what most of us want?  A fresh entry in the series where marines are pitted once again against xenos?  It doesn't realy matter who's starring in the movie and holding down the pulse rifle triggers as long as the story is engaging and the characters are worthy of our commitment to them.

Does it really matter if it's Ripley and Hicks or someone else?  I personally feel there's more to be gained by such a movie without those characters making top heavy appearances.  One that respects all that has gone before.  Right now, I only foresee problems with Blomkamp's current proposal and Biehn is asserting them.

If Blomkamp really wants to make a serious 'ALIENS' sequel, sure, I'd love to see it.  I just don't see the need to divide the Community unnecessarily just to exercise this spiteful action towards the latter 2 movies, both of which have their own legion of fans.  Fans that could easily be won over and be supportie of a tangential 'ALIENS' sequel that doesn't arbitrarilly dispose of their favourite movies in the series.  These peoples' concerns are just as valid as anyone elses; but right now Blomkamp and Biehn just want to kick them in the teeth with this proposal for an unproven retcon.  These fans will be won over so easily if their favourite movies have retained a status of legitimacy for 2 decades. 

Blomkamp can unite this community with an 'ALIENS' sequel that omits Ripley and Hicks and have 90% (just my guess) of us on side; or he can minimise that percentge substantially by including these 2 characters in what amounts to a vengeful act of vilification.  There's a sizeable gap he can close just by realising how much we all want to have all of our movies of choice respected. 

Right now.  I can't support it.  I know others who don't either.  If Blomkamp and Co. want to win me over with this current proposal, it has to be the most impressive movie in this series made to date.  I don't believe that's an order they can deliver.  It's just not possible.

Gah... long post.  Sorry 'bout that.  ;)

-Windebieste.

Elmazalman

I'm in the minority;i have no desire to see anymore sequels.I don't believe this new film will deliver.The first two films are unbeatable-the last two proved that-i'm far more interested in the prequels.

Kel G 426

QuoteIt's all well and good assuming you can better those sequels.

Shouldn't be much of a challenge.

QuoteI believe when a fan base is divided to this extent then something is wrong.  Very, very wrong with such a proposal.

The fan base has always been this divided since Alien3.

QuoteIt means none of the plot threads/characters/events/whatever from the third and fourth films will ever be followed up ever again.

You've just sold me on the retcon.

Quoteso he stuck the Alien title in there as a f**k you to blomkamp pretty much telling him this is my franchise and i'm not letting your story overshadow mine.

Or maybe to link the films more closely.

QuoteLOL at the people who thinks Alien 3.2 gonna happen,

So far we have a greenlit film and affirmative comments from Blomkamp, Weaver, Biehn, and even Ridley Scott.  Yeah, what are people thinking?

QuoteHamill is behaving in a Professional manner in this regard - Biehn is not.

It's obvious you really, really don't want to believe what Biehn is saying, but demonizing the man for it is just silly.

majorShears

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Nov 23, 2015, 09:12:16 AMThere was room to do some really interesting stuff there - Morse, even Ripley 8 - but that'll all be scrapped if the new movie is just a retcon, and worse if it's a shit retcon they've just f*cked themselves out of some interesting opportunities with the existing continuity.

Indeed. A retcon would create a mess of things and squander some great possibilities. I could see a fifth film beginning with Ripley 8 wandering about space without a clear purpose, before deciding to investigate her past and, eventually, taking on the company (whatever company) to get rid of the aliens once and for all. The character could change throughout the story, becoming more and more "human" through her connection with the past. The film could even feature references to Newt and Hicks, which could make for some fairly dramatic scenes. An existentialist undercurrent could be integrated into the story, making the film a sort of "genetic sibling" of Alien 3, only without all the complaints about sudden deaths of beloved characters.

CainsSon

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 23, 2015, 10:35:11 AM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on Nov 23, 2015, 09:12:16 AM
There was room to do some really interesting stuff there - Morse, even Ripley 8 - but that'll all be scrapped if the new movie is just a retcon, and worse if it's a shit retcon they've just f*cked themselves out of some interesting opportunities with the existing continuity.

That's the real pressure for this sequel as far as I'm concerned. It's all well and good assuming you can better those sequels. You need to make sure you actually do to make this worth it.

This is the biggest problem. But to build on that, it's also a huge disappointment, if it is successful and it is just mediocre - Yes!!! You have to remember its not only entirely possible that the film is a huge hit, it is even most likely that it is a huge hit and is just somewhat watchable.
This is the worst case scenario for two reasons. First: WHAT IT MEANS FOR THE ALIEN FRANCHISE - This ape-ing a previous film to marginal success is what will always happen next and I thought they had learned their lesson with AVP-R.... Plus, how drastic the changes are from one sequel to the next is one of this series best qualities and its why I actually want an ALIEN 5 to bring that promise further and continue from A:R. A:R sucked but not for this reason. I propose it sucks even more if you retcon now. ALIEN franchise has always been sorta saying: 'Like it or not - this one's a drama!' Or 'Like it or not this one's a comic book!' Or 'This one's an Action Film!' And even with Prometheus, they chose to try Hard Sci-Fi/Adventure. I like that quality in the Alien films, and I hope that is maintained, here (and w/ ALIEN: COVENANT), so I hate hearing people say they want Aliens 2. Because I don't want ANYTHING Part 2. Let it be it's own thing. Of course maybe they will, but from what Blomkamp has said it doesn't sound like it.
The other big issue I take with this is what this would mean, to other franchises of this caliber moving forward. When Jurassic Park or Terminator makes these huge shifts it works because it fits within the confines of what has already happened. Even Halloween, which is NOT on par with ALIEN in terms of its hit-making ability; people sight the ignoring of 4-6, but they don't wipe those sequels out. They just moved forward without acknowledging what happened in them (they couldn't have wiped them out because Dr. Loomis died in Part 6). Alien is a different animal.

I still think the best course of action is to set this film before Alien 3 and have Ripley get into those pods with two other characters in an attempt to trick the Company into thinking Newt and Hicks are dead for some important reason. I can ignore the age issue provided they take some precautions.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

So I guess Biehn isn't happy with Icons of Fright: "The press sometimes has a way of misinterpreting what is actually said. When I was interviewed and asked what my thoughts were about the Alien 5 Movie, I was SPECULATING what the Alien 5 story "might" be about. And if i did know the plot point I would certainly not reveal them before the movie was released let alone before it went into production."

https://www.facebook.com/Michael-Biehn-174431302624910/?fref=ts

It certainly wasn't how it read to me. He never mentioned speculating. He spoke as if by fact. I'm not sure if this is his official page or not though. He has so many.

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Guan Thwei 1992 on Nov 21, 2015, 11:08:00 PM
Because continuity, that's why.

If they're gonna turn this into the Walking Dead by bringing back dead characters, I might as well make it fit into one continuity no matter how absurd my excuse sounds.

And that's the thing, "until you get it right", Weyland-Yutani didn't get it right. ;D

Like I said, you don't need the DNA of Rebecca Jordan to experiment. Just do what they did in 'Alien Resurrection' and keep experimenting with Ripley's own "until you get it right". What possible benefit would there be in using Newt's? None, whatsoever.

Quote from: windebieste on Nov 21, 2015, 10:06:28 PM
If he's discussed those details with you without signing a Non Disclosure Agreement, then there's no Project to speak of.  He's just mouthing off.  Casual conversations between Directors and Actors happen all the time.  They mean nothing until signatures are committed to paper and contracts are signed.

Not when said conversations involve the director/writer telling you the basic outline specifically to try and get you on board. Hell, not when they tell you the basic storyline, period.

He only needs an NDA when he's been signed up and cast. Until then, he's free to speak - and (assuming he was quoted accurately) exactly what incredibly, mind-blowing secrets has he revealed, which weren't already known about? Newt's back and, well, that's all... It's something we've been wondering about, but I can't imagine that's something which wouldn't be revealed in the first couple of minutes, anyway (or even a few days/weeks into production, when casting calls have gone out).

QuoteMy big concern with all of what we have heard so far about 'ALIEN 5' hasn't been all that positive.  I'm not just talking about the movie; but how divisive it has been amongst fans.  Right now, that division is roughly equal.  It's about half of the Community wants to see Hicks and Ripley return thus 'correcting' issiues that 'ALIEN 3' introduced; and the other half of the Community want to see 'ALIEN 3' (and 'ALIEN: Resurrection') be respected as ligitimate entries in the series.  It really is surprising how much support both sides have.

That isn't something Blomkamp or even Fox has any control over. That's the fandom whipping itself into an unnecessary frenzy in the absence of any real information.

QuoteI believe when a fan base is divided to this extent then something is wrong.  Very, very wrong with such a proposal.

As has been pointed out, that's been the case since 'Alien 3' was released. :) That's never going to change.

QuoteIf I was in Blomkamp's shoes, I'd be investing in getting as much of this fan base on side as much as possible.  To me, that would mean re-assessing his outline for the movie and making some much needed compromises.

No, you wouldn't. You'd be focusing on writing the thing and trying to polish it to be as good as it can be. You wouldn't have control over what others think and the only way to calm everything would be if you revealed your story. There is literally nothing he can do to calm the waters. Most of the argumentative stuff has been from fans coming up with theories of their own making.

QuoteI've said this before but I think most fans would love a sequel to 'ALIENS' that didn't retcon the latter movies in the series.  If fans want an 'ALIENS' sequel, then by all means why does it have to perform any retcon at all?   It's a simple matter of framing the events of a sequel within the same time frame as 'ALIEN 3' but use a fresh cast of characters without attempting to shoe horn deceased favourites back into the series.  Isn't that what most of us want?  A fresh entry in the series where marines are pitted once again against xenos?  It doesn't realy matter who's starring in the movie and holding down the pulse rifle triggers as long as the story is engaging and the characters are worthy of our commitment to them.

I've pointed this out before and will do so again: Blomkmap has already gone on the record as saying his original story was different and took account of 'Alien 3' and such. It was Weaver who changed that.

It's also Weaver who doesn't want to play Ripley's clone.

I'm constantly puzzled at why Blomkamp's copping all the shit for this, when it's Weaver who was the driving force for those changes.

If I had the chance to write and direct an 'Alien' film, I'd make something original, too. If Weaver talked to me and was able to miraculously somehow make it a reality, you can bet I'd change my basic story, too!

Quote from: majorShears on Nov 23, 2015, 09:18:25 PM
Indeed. A retcon would create a mess of things and squander some great possibilities. I could see a fifth film beginning with Ripley 8 wandering about space without a clear purpose, before deciding to investigate her past and, eventually, taking on the company (whatever company) to get rid of the aliens once and for all. The character could change throughout the story, becoming more and more "human" through her connection with the past. The film could even feature references to Newt and Hicks, which could make for some fairly dramatic scenes. An existentialist undercurrent could be integrated into the story, making the film a sort of "genetic sibling" of Alien 3, only without all the complaints about sudden deaths of beloved characters.

And I'm sure that's probably been in at least one of the scripts which, no matter how insightful, Weaver was responsible for saying no to. She doesn't want to reprise Ripley 8. She does, however, want to reprise Ellen Ripley.

windebieste

windebieste

Sounds to me like Biehn is backtracking under instruction from Fox. 

*RING!  RING!*

Michael Biehn:  "Ah! The phone is ringing!  It must be my Agent telling me the contracts for 'ALIEN 5' are ready to sign at last!  7 figure paycheck coming up!"

*MB Picks up the phone and answers*  "Yes?  Michael Biehn speaking..."

Fox Executive:  "STFU!"

MB: "Uh... OK." *Hangs up and puts the phone down.*  "DAMN!  I just blew my paycheck on that interview."

-Windebieste.

Elmazalman

Does Biehn still drink?

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Elmazalman on Nov 24, 2015, 10:22:09 AM
Does Biehn still drink?

I do believe he's over all that.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed