Aliens 30th Anniversary: The Original Comics Series (Original Dark Horse sequel)

Started by Corporal Hicks, Nov 16, 2015, 06:20:23 PM

Author
Aliens 30th Anniversary: The Original Comics Series (Original Dark Horse sequel) (Read 39,158 times)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

DARK HORSE RESURRECTS ORIGINAL "ALIENS" SERIES FOR 30th ANNIVERSARY HARDCOVER
THE ORIGINAL SEQUEL TO "ALIENS"

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: MILWAUKIE, OR—In 1988, Dark Horse's Aliens comic debuted, with stunning art by Mark A. Nelson and a script by Mark Verheiden, taking the comics market by storm. For the thirtieth anniversary of the Aliens film, Dark Horse and Twentieth Century Fox Consumer Products are releasing an oversized hardcover edition of the unabridged and unadulterated series!

This must-have collector's edition delivers 184 pages of original black-and-white art, each panel more horrifying than the last.

In deep space, a salvage crew is attacked by seemingly unstoppable monsters. The marines are called in, but they need someone with experience. Soon Hicks (the horribly scarred survivor from Aliens) and Newt (now almost eighteen) find themselves on a mission to locate and destroy the aliens' homeworld!

This collection also marks the first major comics work by Mark Verheiden, who went on to write The Mask, Timecop, Battlestar Galactica, Daredevil, and many other films and television shows.

Aliens 30th Anniversary: The Original Comics Series (978-1-50670-078-6) is in stores April 26, 2016. Preorder your copy today at your local comic shop or through these fine retailers:

Thanks to Matt Booker‎ at the Weyland-Yutanti Bulletin.

http://www.darkhorse.com/Blog/2190/dark-horse-resurrects-original-aliens-series-30th

razeak

Drool. I'm a sucker for hardcovers and it is an Aliens book to boot.  Woof.

Russ840

Hi everyone. Long time lurker here but I decided to register because I got so excited about this solicitation. I absolutely love the original Aliens comic series. I have a second print paperback but I am a sucker for hardcover. I was sold on it just reading 'hardcover' but it's the same dimensions as the recent Prometheus: fire and stone hardcover, which is a huge bonus, plus it's the original black and white and from the sounds of things it features the original names, Hicks and Newt.

Really look forward to chatting with others here as this seems like a great community.

Corporal Hicks

Glad to have you aboard, Russ! Welcome.

From the sounds of it is certainly going to be the original Hicks and Newt tale. Makes me a little sad as I've only just recently gotten around to getting the original singles.  :P

But the Fire and Stone hardcover is very swanky. I look forward to adding this bad boy to my shelf too!

HuDaFuK

Nice that they're doing this for the hardcore fans.

Corporal Hicks

The black and white is much nicer than the coloured version too. Hopefully they'll be some extra content ala Fire and Stone.

Russ840

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 17, 2015, 09:42:51 AM
The black and white is much nicer than the coloured version too. Hopefully they'll be some extra content ala Fire and Stone.

i too hope there is some extras and you we are in the same camp on the art.  Here's hoping that the best aliens comic ever, Book 2, gets this hardcover treatment also and I would not mind a reprint of the original AVP comic. Although that need a recolour in my opinion.

I love your podcast Hicks, when is the next going to hit ?

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Russ840 on Nov 17, 2015, 09:49:46 AM
i too hope there is some extras and you we are in the same camp on the art.  Here's hoping that the best aliens comic ever, Book 2, gets this hardcover treatment also and I would not mind a reprint of the original AVP comic. Although that need a recolour in my opinion.

It's definitely dying for a recolour! Preferably by Wes Dziob who did the recolour for that special edition mini-hardback thing that came with Aliens vs. Predator 2010.

QuoteI love your podcast Hicks, when is the next going to hit ?

That's kind of you, thanks! We just recorded the latest episode on Sunday. It's being edited now. The next one is about the early days of the AvP film and about Peter Briggs' script.

Russ840

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 17, 2015, 09:53:45 AM
Quote from: Russ840 on Nov 17, 2015, 09:49:46 AM

It's definitely dying for a recolour! Preferably by Wes Dziob who did the recolour for that special edition mini-hardback thing that came with Aliens vs. Predator 2010.

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/avp-volume1-12.jpg

QuoteI love your podcast Hicks, when is the next going to hit ?

That's kind of you, thanks! We just recorded the latest episode on Sunday. It's being edited now. The next one is about the early days of the AvP film and about Peter Briggs' script.

Excellent mate. Looking forward to it. Never read the script. I'll get that done before I listen.

I had heard that the hardback with the game was recoloured. It looks much better than the original mish mash.  So yeah, either that or a much more modern and darker, grim, realistic recolour. The line work can handle it I think.

That me the great thing about the original Aliens comic, it needs no recolour. It's awesome as is and stands the test of time.  To me anyway lol

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Russ840 on Nov 17, 2015, 10:05:14 AM
Excellent mate. Looking forward to it. Never read the script. I'll get that done before I listen.

RidgeTop does a nice breakdown of the plot in the episode if you don't get chance to read it first. But if you want to, it's in our downloads section: http://www.avpgalaxy.net/downloads/

QuoteI had heard that the hardback with the game was recoloured. It looks much better than the original mish mash.  So yeah, either that or a much more modern and darker, grim, realistic recolour. The line work can handle it I think.

That me the great thing about the original Aliens comic, it needs no recolour. It's awesome as is and stands the test of time.  To me anyway lol

A black and white release of Aliens vs. Predator could be fun too. I think it started being released in b&w before they started to colour it in?

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 17, 2015, 10:15:29 AMA black and white release of Aliens vs. Predator could be fun too. I think it started being released in b&w before they started to colour it in?

The original 1989 short story from DHP was b&w. Not sure if it was recoloured when it was collected as #0 of the first series.

EDIT: According the comicbookdb the prequel part didn't get coloured until the series was collected as a trade paperback in 1991.

Russ840

Russ840

The three stories that made up AVP 0 did look great in black and white.

Labyrinth could do with a nice hardcover as well. Lol give me all of them In Hardcover.  Dark horse make such nice hardcovers I'd even pick up earth war.

Salvation was great and built so well. Shame the art was not remastered.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 17, 2015, 10:15:29 AM
Quote from: Russ840 on Nov 17, 2015, 10:05:14 AM

RidgeTop does a nice breakdown of the plot in the episode if you don't get chance to read it first. But if you want to, it's in our downloads section: http://www.avpgalaxy.net/downloads/

QuoteI had heard that the hardback with the game was recoloured. It looks much better than the original mish mash.  So yeah, either that or a much more modern and darker, grim, realistic recolour. The line work can handle it I think.

A black and white release of Aliens vs. Predator could be fun too. I think it started being released in b&w before they started to colour it in?

Thanks dude. I'll get that read.

Corporal Hicks

Didn't pick up Salvation. I really ought to.

Russ840

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 17, 2015, 10:44:34 AM
Didn't pick up Salvation. I really ought to.

You should. Loverly paper and sewn binding. I like the story. Love some of the visual Easter eggs I. There.

The great thing about dark horse is the affordability of their books. I got it for £7.32 delivered.

Corporal Hicks

Amazon has it up pretty cheap. I've suggested it as gift for Christmas.  :P

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed