If you could have only one...

Started by Mr. Clemens, Oct 30, 2015, 10:22:35 PM

...what would it be?

Ridley Scott's Alien: Paradise Lost
Neil Blomkamp's Alien 5
Author
If you could have only one... (Read 6,259 times)

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Nov 10, 2015, 12:32:26 AMIt's pretty nihilistic, man.

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Nov 09, 2015, 08:58:04 AMThe bulk of the film may be nihilist, but I don't think the ending is.

Like I said, sure, she dies, but I think there's a hopeful tone to her sacrifice scene.

Corporal Hicks

As we've all said, the film is undeniably nihilist. That's part of the reason I love the film (and others hate it). I think you could say the ending is slightly more hopeful (the score has a few more grander moments during the last few scenes) but I wouldn't say it was substantially hopeful.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

I'm not trying to sell it as a happy conclusion. But I do think there's a an element of positivity to it. Ripley is dead, and that's terrible, but on the other hand the Alien is finally defeated, and that's a good thing for the entire human race. I'd argue it's about the only time the film isn't being totally bleak and nihilist.

Corporal Hicks

It's certainly the only time the film wants steps away from being all bleak and miserable. I think of it as more of a sense of finality than anything though - even though that's not the case in the long run.

Primordial

Primordial

It's all about whose point of view you choose to see the ending :

- Nihilist for Ripley.
- She would be regretted and (maybe) become a heroin for saving ''the world'', for those who learned her sacrifice,
- A missed great opportunity and big frustration for those who wanted to harvest the Queen.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Oct 30, 2015, 10:22:35 PM
Vote away!

What is the results for your poll so far Mr. Clemens? You can't see the results if you abstain.

AVP Galaxy's poll on their news pages currently stands at:

Blomkamp's Alien Sequel (69%, 350 Votes)
Alien: Paradise Lost (31%, 155 Votes)
Total Voters: 505

Corporal Hicks

Ridley Scott's Alien: Paradise Lost 25 (61%)
Neil Blomkamp's Alien 5 16 (39%)
Total: 41

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Corporal Hicks

Might reflect different types of opinion though. The more casual pop-on and look at the news are more interested in the retcon where-as the fans interested enough to partake in the community are more interested in the Prometheus sequel.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Yeah, I suppose it makes sense. The hardcore fanbase would be generally more conservative and appreciative of Alien 3 (and perhaps even A:R) and less enthusiastic about a possible retcon.

One has to wonder how the results would have looked if Alien 5 wasn't aiming to retcon 3 & 4. Would a Prometheus sequel still get such strong support from the diehards?

Corporal Hicks

I wonder what we would have got if Darkness had put a neither option.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

;D

Chris!(($$))!

This is one of the few times I'd say "Go with the prequels".

I don't want a retcon of Alien 3. What's done is done. Alien 5 should focus on new characters.

If they insist on doing an ALIEN 3.2, at least find a way to do it with respect to ALIEN 3 which many of us still enjoy.

Go the Abrams Star Trek route and have the Sulaco drift through a worm hole creating a second alternate reality. I think people took well to that when they released Star Trek.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed