If you could have only one...

Started by Mr. Clemens, Oct 30, 2015, 10:22:35 PM

...what would it be?

Ridley Scott's Alien: Paradise Lost
Neil Blomkamp's Alien 5
Author
If you could have only one... (Read 6,256 times)

The Alien Predator

Quote from: windebieste on Nov 03, 2015, 08:23:58 AM
Quote from: Guan Thwei 1992 on Nov 01, 2015, 10:53:09 PMBut hey, we're technically getting an "Alien" film, it's being done by Ridley. So you might as well call it "Alien 5" due to its title. Some were saying Prometheus may be retitled as "Alien: Prometheus" to bridge it closer to the Alien brand.

That is an interesting point and it has been known to happen before.   Re-released  'Raiders of the Lost Ark' became 'Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark',  'Star Wars' is now known as 'Star Wars - A New Hope'.  Maybe some time in the future, it will be released as 'ALIEN: Prometheus' to help consolidate its place within the series.

-Windebieste.

That was quite an informative response, thanks Windebieste.

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Nov 03, 2015, 09:08:26 AM
Predator 4 ;D

To be honest, I'm not especially thrilled by the prospect of either Alien film. Prometheus was too much of a disappointment for me to start jumping up and down over a sequel, and I seriously dislike the idea of where the Blomkamp film is supposed to be going.

Yes! Bring on Predator 4 dammit!  ;D

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Guan Thwei 1992 on Nov 03, 2015, 01:11:30 PM
Quote from: windebieste on Nov 03, 2015, 08:23:58 AM
Quote from: Guan Thwei 1992 on Nov 01, 2015, 10:53:09 PMBut hey, we're technically getting an "Alien" film, it's being done by Ridley. So you might as well call it "Alien 5" due to its title. Some were saying Prometheus may be retitled as "Alien: Prometheus" to bridge it closer to the Alien brand.

That is an interesting point and it has been known to happen before.   Re-released  'Raiders of the Lost Ark' became 'Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark',  'Star Wars' is now known as 'Star Wars - A New Hope'.  Maybe some time in the future, it will be released as 'ALIEN: Prometheus' to help consolidate its place within the series.

-Windebieste.

That was quite an informative response, thanks Windebieste.

As Winde says, it certainly wouldn't be the first time. I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if Prometheus gets rebranded as Alien going forward.

Mr. Clemens

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: windebieste on Nov 03, 2015, 08:23:58 AMRe-released  'Raiders of the Lost Ark' became 'Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark'

That one always drove me bugshit crazy, since Indiana Jones was one of the Raiders of the Lost Ark. That was the whole point!  >:(

THE CITY HUNTER

None.

CainsSon

CainsSon

I cant answer this. The reason being, that as much as Ive alwasy wanted a proper ending to Ripley's story, I kinda also want the story wrapped up in some bigger way altogether.
My thoughts now are that if you bring Ripley back, you need to head in some direction, at least for future films, to tie into what Prometheus added. As much as I felt Alien 3 was a great end for her character, i was always bothered by that film being an ending because there were so many loose ends. So I guess, if anything I want both storylines followed up on equally.
Im not saying I want everything wrapped up with a bow, just that the universe is so all over the place now, I feel like the need to wangle some stuff together.

hfeldhaus

hfeldhaus

Alien 3 gave Ripley the perfect ending. There were no loose ends tied to her, and the film concluded the trilogy. Tied up those 'loose ends' so well they have to move the franchise centuries into the future and use cloning.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: hfeldhaus on Nov 07, 2015, 06:18:12 AM
Alien 3 gave Ripley the perfect ending. There were no loose ends tied to her, and the film concluded the trilogy. Tied up those 'loose ends' so well they have to move the franchise centuries into the future and use cloning.

It gave her a nihilist ending. While a case could be made for that having a form of poetic symmetry for her journey in the series, it's not the same thing as giving her a perfect ending.

Someone could just as easily make a case for 'Aliens' giving her journey a much better ending. There weren't really any obvious loose ends there, either and she received more of a sense of closure and justice. In 'Alien 3', it's more a case of running out of options and justice being denied.

hfeldhaus

hfeldhaus

Well... Yeah. I guess its personal preference, but that's what I love about Alien 3. The darkness of it all and the inevitability of the Alien. It also gave us one of the most iconic movie deaths of all time.

THE CITY HUNTER

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Nov 07, 2015, 01:04:14 PM
Quote from: hfeldhaus on Nov 07, 2015, 06:18:12 AM

It gave her a nihilist ending. While a case could be made for that having a form of poetic symmetry for her journey in the series, it's not the same thing as giving her a perfect ending.

Someone could just as easily make a case for 'Aliens' giving her journey a much better ending. There weren't really any obvious loose ends there, either and she received more of a sense of closure and justice. In 'Alien 3', it's more a case of running out of options and justice being denied.
Wouldn't mind if Aliens completed her story.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: hfeldhaus on Nov 07, 2015, 01:50:08 PM
Well... Yeah. I guess its personal preference, but that's what I love about Alien 3. The darkness of it all and the inevitability of the Alien. It also gave us one of the most iconic movie deaths of all time.

That's also why I loved Alien 3's conclusion. That she had to loose literally everything to the Alien.

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 08, 2015, 04:14:39 PM
Quote from: hfeldhaus on Nov 07, 2015, 01:50:08 PM

That's also why I loved Alien 3's conclusion. That she had to loose literally everything to the Alien.

Exactly!

Keeping Ripley constantly alive and beating the Alien slowly begins to diminish its threat... face a tiger enough times and eventually it will eat you.

I loved the bit in Resurrection where Johnner asks Ripley "I hear you faced one of these things, so like, what did you do?"

And she replied with "I died".

Randomizer

Randomizer

Alien 5, although I'm positive A:PL will relate to it somehow.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Guan Thwei 1992 on Nov 08, 2015, 05:31:33 PM
I loved the bit in Resurrection where Johnner asks Ripley "I hear you faced one of these things, so like, what did you do?"

And she replied with "I died".

The one joke in Resurrection I really think works well.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Nov 07, 2015, 01:04:14 PMIt gave her a nihilist ending.

She saved the universe and the human race. That's hardly nihilist. I actually think the end of that film is curiously uplifting. She makes a sacrifice for the greater good.

The bulk of the film may be nihilist, but I don't think the ending is.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Saved them through suicide, sure. Nobody believes her until it's too late and she loses everyone in an absence of hope - and she knows she's dead, anyway, no matter what. Even the people she's with want to abuse her - literally, at one point. Then the would-be help of salvation is symbolically tainted. Could also point to having to 'mercy-kill' Bishop; the only character who understands her and can back up her earlier version of events.

It's pretty nihilistic, man.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed