Alien 5 Delayed "Pending" Alien: Paradise Lost

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 30, 2015, 01:45:05 AM

Author
Alien 5 Delayed "Pending" Alien: Paradise Lost (Read 52,731 times)

SpeedyMaxx

Yeah, no, not really. I'm not surprised this thing has evaporated after his last two bombs. It always came off as a derivative rehash of his other films which he was trying to get off the ground based solely on social media hype. And it doesn't look enough like a new story, really - just looks like run 'n gun fanfic.

Adam802

wow that SUCKS!  screw prometheus,  I want Alien 5!  *sigh*

RakaiThwei

Who is saying that Alien 5 or Alien 3.2, whichever you want to call this movie is not happening? It's just simply being delayed until Ridley Scott manages to get the Prometheus sequel out of the way. I mean it's going to happen but when.. not sure. If the movie is cancelled, I can tell you that a lot of fans are going to be pissed because they have put in a lot of emotional investment into this. And with Ridley producing the Alien movie, why would he even abandon it?

Also.. How is Terminator Genisys affecting Fox's view on Blomkamp's movie retconning Alien 3 and Resurrection? Genisys is not their movie and it shouldn't be any concern of theirs. As for Fox getting cold feet on retconning Alien 3 and Resurrection... if they had cold feet, there is no way they would've allowed Blomkamp to do the vision which he wants to do. He's already indicated where the movie fits and how it does. If Fox didn't want him to do the retcon, he'd have walked out before the thing was even announced.

Robot Sentry

I'm not all that surprised, but bummed out. The notion of these Alien films (both Sir Ridley's and Blomkamp's) having a grander large scale story unfold from both ends of the spectrum was really tantalizing. We'd get the creepier Lovecraftian stuff in prequel land with Paradise Lost, while Blomkamp's idea of an older perhaps wiser Ripley confronting the creatures a few decades after Aliens in sequel land. Blomkamp's film likely would have been a bit more like Cameron's approach, which to me is fine. It would've provided a bit of a contrast to what Ridley seems to be exploring with his strand of Alien/Prometheus story DNA.

Shared universe storytelling is all the rage these days. I find a lot of the shared universe stuff being announced nowadays to feel too gimmicky (Ghostbusters, Men In Black + 21 Jumpstreet ???). What was being hinted at here with two strands of storytelling for Alien was really a cool and potentially new idea for a shared universe saga. It's definitely a downer knowing that we will only see a smaller nugget of that larger scale storyline.

RakaiThwei

Not gonna lie... A small part of me is angry with this news.

Richman678

Yeah I'm not surprised. Ridley Scott just made an epic sci fi movie (possibly even best picture for the year) The Martian is making tons of money, and it only proves Ridley Scott gets first dibs. The Martian was a hit and Chappie wasn't (I'm not saying I didn't like Chappie mind you)

My guess is that when they compared stories they didn't make much sense. Fox probably decided to go with Scott's Alien story instead.

On top of all that did you really want to see Siguorney Weaver fighting Aliens in her 60's??? This might be good news for the franchise. Plus what would they do for Newt? Re-cast? Kill off the character again? Hire some smoking hot blonde and say she aged in her cryo tube?

Ripleys story line is semi over. It sucks they made Ressurection, but I don't want them continuing that story line. Let's see what Alien Paradise Lost brings to the table. Also lets hope Ridley Scott lost Damon Lindeloffs phone number.

RakaiThwei

The thing is, Blomkamp and Fox really... don't have the best relationship. Not since Fox had butted heads with Blomkamp over the cancelled Halo movie. I'm just wondering if this will lead to a repeat of things and leave a lot of fans soured.. Really soured.

name

name

im sick of this shet, you know what fark this movie , im not waiting 5 years now, to watch it, for what because of Prometheus 2, alien 5 is where its at and since fox would rather wait till that box office plays out then dam, because of these problems surrounding the combination of these two films with ridley scott producing them both count me out on seeing ether one at theaters, buying or better yet ever watching ether one. why not wait one more day and release the news on Halloween ? time to break my Prometheus blue ray disc

math

math

terminator genisys fell short in the states because of Jurassic world, that film was predicted to make around 110 million first weekend, well it made double, terminator was always in trouble box office wise as soon as those numbers came in, or better yet any movie in its release slot, its just logic. don't know what the big deal was about Jurassic world, Jurassic park 3 sucked, and look at those box office numbers for that film

Born Of Cold Light

Hopefully, this and the failure of Genisys will put a crimp in the nostalgia-heavy side of modern movie making.  I mean, a few nods here and there are okay, but stuff like Genisys and what this movie was looking like just go too far; you can't keep a franchise alive long term with "back in the day" feels.  If anything, Jurassic World paved the way for how things should be done; a restart of a franchise that is the beginning of its own epic and might well have the same impact on the decade's culture as Jurassic Park did in the 90s, while not retconning anything and having some well-placed nods to the first film.  That is how I think reboots of classic franchises should be; respect for old continuity while creating something unique and different for a new era.

Let's give this generation their own Alien saga, not some 80s retrofuturistic retread.

SiL

I for one welcome this news.

whiterabbit

It's for the best, really.

HuDaFuK

I'm actually kinda surprised by this, given that Scott was only recently dropping 2017 as a release date for Blomkamp's film.

What people are saying about the Genisys effect makes a lot of sense though. To be honest, scrapping a silly retcon is great news as far as I concerned, but it sounds like it might not be totally off the table yet.

Quote from: Born Of Cold Light on Oct 30, 2015, 06:26:57 AMThat is how I think reboots of classic franchises should be; respect for old continuity while creating something unique and different for a new era.

If it follows on from the existing continuity, then by definition it is not a reboot. People (a lot of the media included) really need to learn what the word reboot means in a serial fiction context. It doesn't just mean "new entry after a long time".

szkoki

whos confused? i am. but honestly i rather see Prometheus 2 no matter how sloppy will be the script because of Fassbender than an Alien 3 rewrite with Mr Idirectthesamemoviesallthetime guy

swarm87

YAY!!!!! no fanboy retcon fanfilm.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed