Neill Blomkamp Shares Pulse Rifle Prop

Started by Ultramorph, Oct 15, 2015, 06:52:37 PM

Author
Neill Blomkamp Shares Pulse Rifle Prop (Read 36,061 times)

PVTDukeMorrison

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 29, 2015, 10:23:18 PM
Quote from: PRJ_since1990 on Oct 29, 2015, 01:44:46 AMAlthough I don't like the Call of Duty mentality that comes to mind, I can't be too stuck in the mud over it.

That seems to be something people are projecting onto it though. Attachments like this do exist outside of Call of Duty and related games.
While that is true, most of your average everyday infantry don't have access to all sorts of attachments unless they pay for it themselves. What's on the pulse rifle at the moment is nothing really over the top for an infantry unit, especially Marines. A muzzle brake? Boo hoo they're common on every modern firearm that's not in possession of some 3rd world goat herder. The IR laser system? If a unit is going to be conducting night operations it's standard issue. A red dot? Now that one is a little harder to justify, usually an infantry unit will be outfitted with the standard iron sights or a medium to long range telescopic sight (think ACOG or Elcan), it's mostly SOF that you see running around with red dots as they're better for close quarters. This whole "Codifying" BS really needs to stop, it's the shit people use today. What I have an issue with is how it looks tacked on, the rails should really be integrated into the frame and the sight should be integrated into the carry handle a la craptastic G36

PRJ_since1990

PRJ_since1990

Quote from: PRJ_since1990 on Oct 29, 2015, 01:44:46 AMAlthough I don't like the Call of Duty mentality that comes to mind, I can't be too stuck in the mud over it.

That seems to be something people are projecting onto it though. Attachments like this do exist outside of Call of Duty and related games.
Yeah I know. It just has a bad vibe to it, all things considered. It's so ubiquitous in society today that, for someone like myself, I tend not to be affiliated with that crowd.

Like I said, do what you want to it but keep the movie noises and sounds. Please.

Quote from: PVTDukeMorrison on Oct 29, 2015, 11:47:43 PM

While that is true, most of your average everyday infantry don't have access to all sorts of attachments unless they pay for it themselves.
[...] This whole "Codifying" BS really needs to stop, it's the shit people use today.
We live in a world where the best selling game about "realistic" (used loosely) warfare game is worshiped by a population that consists, namely, of immature 10-15 yr olds that shouldn't be playing it and frat house-style bros that shame the gaming community. I could bash this franchise all day because it has systematically ruined the gaming industry and turned it into a Hollywood-like institution where we find fewer and fewer gems among the piles of crap each year. CoD-ifying has ruined many things and I don't want that stupid game series touching our Alien franchise.

I am legitimately concerned that "upgrading" a gun that was futuristic 30 years ago to look like weapons of today will look too out of context, thus hurting the fantasy aspect of the film. Attachments are real. But doesn't it just seem like a cheap attempt to garner attention to slap some optics and/or other bits and bobs to "keep it the same but different?" Last time the PR got an upgrade, it got an additional flamethrower attachment :) 

Chris!(($$))!

After doing some thinking, these "modernized" props make sense. And it was one of the few things A:CM was able to do.

If you look at Avatar, you can see that had Cameron made ALIENS after the 90s rather than before, the weapons would have had those modernized additions.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed