Ridley Scott Talks Neill Blomkamp's Alien 5

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 05, 2015, 12:04:28 PM

Author
Ridley Scott Talks Neill Blomkamp's Alien 5 (Read 25,468 times)

hfeldhaus

Quote from: whiterabbit on Oct 13, 2015, 10:33:43 PM
I don't need a sequel; I just want another Aliens movie.

Exactly. New story, new characters.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: hfeldhaus on Oct 14, 2015, 01:05:00 AM
Quote from: whiterabbit on Oct 13, 2015, 10:33:43 PM
I don't need a sequel; I just want another Aliens movie.

Exactly. New story, new characters.

Oh come on!  You're getting 3 new Alien films with new characters from Ridley.  Some of us also want our Ripley, Hicks, and Newt's tale.  That's more than fair.  And, you still get to keep your old Alien 3 and Resurrection copies.  If the new Blomkamp film turns out good, it really won't be so bad will it?

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Oct 14, 2015, 03:26:35 PMOh come on!  You're getting 3 new Alien films with new characters from Ridley.

Except Ridley is apparently also pandering to the living-in-the-past crowd with this alleged "connection to Ripley" bollocks.

So actually, only Black is doing something that isn't shackled to things that happened thirty years ago. And that film's probably years away.

Perfect-Organism

We are all a part of a living in the past crowd.  Why not new monsters to replace Giger's Alien?  Why not focus on all-new sci-fi?  We are all here because we liked various aspects of the Aliens world, whether that be the tech, the characters and relationships, the monsters, the socio-political reality, the story, whatever.  I fail to see a justification in disparaging fans of any of these elements over the other.  I think the current balance is perfect.  We are burning the candle at both ends.  Some new films are aimed at exploring the new frontiers of the Aliens universe, while some are aimed at continuing the core story which is actually Ripley's personal drama.  It's the human story that matters.  Without it, there is the potential that it's just a film about hunting big lizards.

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Oct 14, 2015, 03:32:27 PM
Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Oct 14, 2015, 03:26:35 PMOh come on!  You're getting 3 new Alien films with new characters from Ridley.

Except Ridley is apparently also pandering to the living-in-the-past crowd with this alleged "connection to Ripley" bollocks.

So actually, only Black is doing something that isn't shackled to things that happened thirty years ago. And that film's probably years away.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Oct 14, 2015, 04:27:02 PMWe are all a part of a living in the past crowd.  Why not new monsters to replace Giger's Alien?

Using the Alien creature is very different from recycling characters.

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Oct 14, 2015, 04:27:02 PMI fail to see a justification in disparaging fans of any of these elements over the other.

I'm not disparaging any fans. I think it's just incredibly sad that the people in charge can't cut the umbilical and try something new. Blomkamp's apparently pressing the reset button, Ridley seems to have totally reneged on his pledge that the Prometheus sequels would move away from Alien and be original... And don't even get me started on the "Ripley being mentioned" thing.

hfeldhaus

Th characters are dead. My hope is that Blomkamp sees what Ridley is doing and finds another way for humans to come into contact with the Alien. I'm all for another Aliens-esque film but just not with Ripley et al. No matter what the explanation, or ignoring Alien 3 completely, the film will feel 'cheap' to me and completely pointless. It will be the complete bastardisation of Ripley.

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

The idea of using Ripley would only make sense if it adds to the story.  Do I think it made sense to use her in Out of the Shadows?  Absolutely not.  Would that have been a fun sort of alt. reality story to see Ripley in action again with Ash in tow?  Certainly.  But to make it canon, just for the sake of bringing back Ripley?  That's bollocks as you say (are you British?).

It is a fact that the story arcs of Hicks and Newt were abruptly and gracelessly ended, and Ripley's character while she met an appropriate end, she ended up coming back in Resurrection just to negate her sacrifice in Alien 3.  Continuing the story from where Resurrection left off with Lazarus Ripley in tow is just silly.  Nobody cares (most people don't anyway).

If we assume that the story of Aliens could have been continued in a better direction, then it completely makes sense that this would include Ripley and Hicks and Newt.  They could be effectively on the run from the colonial marines and WY.  There are so many different ways to take that story without even remotely forcing it.

Using the Alien creature is very different from recycling characters.

Yes, reusing characters lends continuation to their story arcs much in the same way as any human story.  It is something we can relate to.  Reusing the Alien creature is like making separate films about alligators.  Yes they're awesome, but there is no human emotional connection there.

I understand the fears of using Ripley again.  Things can easily get cheesy.  There has to be a right balance struck.  But while Alien 3 is great, surely an even better story could have been told.

Quote from: hfeldhaus on Oct 14, 2015, 06:30:19 PM
Th characters are dead. My hope is that Blomkamp sees what Ridley is doing and finds another way for humans to come into contact with the Alien. I'm all for another Aliens-esque film but just not with Ripley et al. No matter what the explanation, or ignoring Alien 3 completely, the film will feel 'cheap' to me and completely pointless. It will be the complete bastardisation of Ripley.

But if we maintain the continuity of Alien 3 and Resurrection, then the main character is "still alive".  But in the most stupid way.  Cloning with full memories intact?  Really?

hfeldhaus

It's well established that Ripley 8 isn't Ripley. Cloning was just a way to get Sigourney Weaver back to shift tickets.

whiterabbit

Good Grief guys. :P An Alien(s) movie is an Alien movie because it has the freaking A L I E N in it. Now sure Ridley did expand the universe but we're talking Alien movie here.

I must admit I really did want that Giger world sequel where Rip and co. kick some major ass somewhere far off on another planet and the reason the derelict crashed on lv 426 is finally answered but unfortunately we got Alien³ instead. Which wasn't that bad. However I do not want an Aliens sequel that is a retread of Aliens.

Primordial

How to say ? Except the clone, I love Ripley, but it should be over. Let her live in peace.
Her only concern since she was on board the Nostromo, was to get rid of/forget the Alien at any cost (blowing up the ship, refusing to go back to LV-426, commiting suicide...) She joined the marines in Aliens only because she couldn't cope with her nightmares.

Now, unless I'm mistaken, she's back, as well as Hicks. This choice is a huge gamble. Better make Alien 5 a masterpiece if it ought to be in line with Alien and Aliens...

At least I wish they are done with the Derelict and find a new way to get people (or other lifeforms) infected.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Oct 14, 2015, 06:44:09 PMIf we assume that the story of Aliens could have been continued in a better direction...

That's a hell of an assumption given the quality of most of the movies since.

There's also the fact the continuation story from the comics is pretty lame.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Oct 15, 2015, 07:39:28 AM
Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Oct 14, 2015, 06:44:09 PMIf we assume that the story of Aliens could have been continued in a better direction...

That's a hell of an assumption given the quality of most of the movies since.

There's also the fact the continuation story from the comics is pretty lame.

I think what you meant to say is that in your personal opinion, the continuation story from the comics is pretty lame.  I think many if not most fans would disagree.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Oct 15, 2015, 02:10:48 PMI think many if not most fans would disagree.

Maybe they would, but as I've said before I just can't understand all the love for the early comics. They may have been ground-breaking in their day, but now they just come across as tired, uninspired and kinda immature. There are other stories from the EU that I find infinitely more engaging.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Oct 15, 2015, 02:32:34 PM
Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Oct 15, 2015, 02:10:48 PMI think many if not most fans would disagree.

Maybe they would, but as I've said before I just can't understand all the love for the early comics. They may have been ground-breaking in their day, but now they just come across as tired, uninspired and kinda immature. There are other stories from the EU that I find infinitely more engaging.

Whether you feel that other stories or comics from the EU are infinitely more engaging is up to you.  That goes without saying because it is an opinion-based statement.  It just makes no sense to say that this is a "fact".  There are many valid reasons why fans still love the original Aliens comics series.  I will revisit that thread where we discussed this some day and I will go through the series to delve deeper into that, but essentially the series covers a large swath of monumental events (infestation of earth, visiting the homeworld) while managing to keep the story very human and on a personal level.  It was a monumental comics series in its day.

Whiskeybrewer

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Oct 15, 2015, 03:19:29 PM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on Oct 15, 2015, 02:32:34 PM

Whether you feel that other stories or comics from the EU are infinitely more engaging is up to you.  That goes without saying because it is an opinion-based statement.  It just makes no sense to say that this is a "fact".  There are many valid reasons why fans still love the original Aliens comics series.  I will revisit that thread where we discussed this some day and I will go through the series to delve deeper into that, but essentially the series covers a large swath of monumental events (infestation of earth, visiting the homeworld) while managing to keep the story very human and on a personal level.  It was a monumental comics series in its day.

^^This. I would comment further on why, but im shattered lol. Will add when possible lol

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed