Ridley Scott Talks Neill Blomkamp's Alien 5

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 05, 2015, 12:04:28 PM

Author
Ridley Scott Talks Neill Blomkamp's Alien 5 (Read 26,424 times)

Corporal Hicks

Ridley Scott and news about Alien: Paradise Lost is certainly stealing the spotlight at the minute! However, whilst talking to The Daily Beast, promoting his recently released science-fiction film The Martian (which you should go see!) and upcoming Prometheus sequel,  Ridley snuck in a little about the Neill Blomkamp Alien sequel that Scott is also producing:

“We have Neill Blomkamp's Alien, which will be out in 2017. We just have the first [screenplay] draft in so far but it looks pretty good.”

051015_01

The latest Alien 5 concept art released by Neill Blomkamp shows Hicks and Ripley.

This is the first we’ve heard that a complete draft has been done for Alien 5. Surprisingly, Ridley Scott also says that Alien 5 will be released in 2017 which is also the same year that Alien: Paradise Lost is currently due for release.

Thanks to Daz85 for the news.

Whiskeybrewer

Its nice to hear there is a complete script, even if its a first draft. so things are moving along. if the release for it is planned to be 2017. They need to do a few more drafts soon, to be able to get into Pre/main production in that time frame

XENOMORPHOSIS

Hmm, Does this mean Alien Paradise Lost and Neill's film will come out in the sam year? Perhaps he meant go into production. Also looking forward to whats in store of Aliens 30th anniversary come 2016. Does anyone wonder if Fox intends to hold off Shane Black Predator movie until Ridley Scott's Alien Paradise Lost and Neill's Alien are complete not wanting to saturate the market, and also avoid fans theorising if there will be another attempt at a cross over. "Which will definitely not happen again any time soon." Also it was only recently Predator producer John Davis said that Shane was close to finishing his script for his new Predator film.

Perfect-Organism

Very happy to see there is an amicable relationship between Scott and Blomkamp and that the films appear to be a part of a cohesively interwoven tapestry.

SuicideDoors

I wonder what event triggered the name change for the sequel to include the moniker Alien? I don't particularly believe Ridley that the intention was to always call the sequel Alien: Paradise Lost, because with the first one they tried to downplay the Alien link so much to just "strands of the same DNA". Must be the overwhelming reaction to Blomkamp's concept art for Alien 5. That spread like wildfire and is/was infinitely more interesting than Prometheus 2. However, with the name change, I'm now being reeled in...

THE CITY HUNTER

Huh just hopes it does not retconn alien 3

Corporal Hicks

Don't hold your breath.

Corporal Hicks

Granted, it's not 100% confirmed but from what we know it's going to retcon 3 and 4. People need to be prepared for that.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: SuicideDoors on Oct 05, 2015, 02:40:17 PMI don't particularly believe Ridley that the intention was to always call the sequel Alien: Paradise Lost, because with the first one they tried to downplay the Alien link so much to just "strands of the same DNA".

Yeah, I don't believe that for one second either.

On topic, interesting to hear these will both be out in the same year.

Richman678

2 alien movies in 1 year? I am so happy we are getting new Alien movies, but I cant help but worry this might be overkill.

marrerom

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 05, 2015, 03:03:41 PM
Granted, it's not 100% confirmed but from what we know it's going to retcon 3 and 4. People need to be prepared for that.

I will be gutted if that actually happens.

RakaiThwei

I would say that all signs point to likely, but there is always that slim margin.

When that does happen, and chances are it possibly might... we'll see how it goes. I would prefer if he just didn't acknowledge the latter two films, rather than write them off either as dreams or false memory implants.

Don't get me wrong, I love Alien 3... and kind of can deal with Resurrection but I don't think he should touch them, hence given his statements, he's probably going to be ignoring them. But in the end.. does it even really matter? To me, it just means we can really pick and choose and shouldn't be a slave to what's deemed as canon. More camps for fans to be a part of.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Oct 05, 2015, 05:04:02 PM

I would say that all signs point to likely, but there is always that slim margin.

When that does happen, and chances are it possibly might... we'll see how it goes. I would prefer if he just didn't acknowledge the latter two films, rather than write them off either as dreams or false memory implants.

Don't get me wrong, I love Alien 3... and kind of can deal with Resurrection but I don't think he should touch them, hence given his statements, he's probably going to be ignoring them. But in the end.. does it even really matter? To me, it just means we can really pick and choose and shouldn't be a slave to what's deemed as canon. More camps for fans to be a part of.

That's the spirit.  You can enjoy to alternate timelines.  Heck maybe the separate timelines can be picked up as separate threads in various EU materials and products.  How awesome is that?

Well that's really sad, but if it's any comfort, after you're gone, your Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection Blu-Rays will remain on your shelf.  Nobody is coming to take them.

Quote from: marrerom on Oct 05, 2015, 04:55:55 PM

I will be gutted if that actually happens.

XENOMORPHOSIS

Though bare this in mind and forgive me if this sounds cynical, Alien 3 has divided the fanbase, fans of James Cameron's Aliens hated the dark nihilistic installment that ended Ripley's story. But despite its flaws it has a fan base. Neill is now making his movie which is to follow after Aliens. Maybe it will bring back integrity to the Alien saga from fans and critics "not counting Prometheus owing it note being a sole centered Alien film, while it was critically well received fans were divided about it."

However it is possible that Neill's movie could be awful, possibly even more damaging than Alien 3. Much like with Superman Returns it was meant to following Superman 1 & 2 while ignoring 3 & 4, though it promised to be a comeback that movie wasn't all that better. The same goes for Halloween H20 retconing Halloween 4,5,6. And Highlander 3 retconing Highlander 2. Despite how they may be preferred they don't necessarily serve much purpose outside of trying repair irrevocable damage to the franchises reputation.

Neill's off to a great star with District 9, Elysium and Chappie were less than well regarded. Like M. Night Shyamalan he seamed to be on going down hill. Will Alien be Neill's equivalent of M. Night's Last Airbender? I hope to be proven wrong.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed