Dark Horse Announces Aliens: Defiance

Started by RidgeTop, Sep 30, 2015, 06:29:00 AM

Author
Dark Horse Announces Aliens: Defiance (Read 189,159 times)

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: 420Buddy on Feb 29, 2016, 01:39:39 PM
Oh man the wait just got even more unbearable. I haven't been this excited about an aliens series since the 90's  ;D

As far as A:CM aliens go,  I don't remember the alien warrior designs ever being an issue in that game, they looked pretty faithful to aliens as far as I remember anyway. It was the story and gameplay that were a bad in that one.

Indeed, I am also very stoked about this.  For me, the heyday of the series was in the late '80s and early '90s and I haven't been this excited about the series since then...

LordCassusSnow

Look, Bolaji Badejo did an excellent job at portraying the beast and he was a guy in a suit. Best portrayal of the Alien imo. The creators of Alien isolation admitted the "dinosaur legs" on their xeno's weren't planned but were a necessity to the games mechanics so had to be kept in the game. Side note, I remember H.R Giger's expressions towards his beast looking like a dinosaur being a little negative. Now when ACM started pumping out screenshots, lots of people had problems with the size, tail, hips and back tubes of the alien warriors. I myself was a little annoyed at the missing ridges along the top of the dome. Now when Fire and Stone seemingly traced over still photos of neca's alien warriors, it didn't annoy me much really. i mean sure the hands could have been drawn differently but other than that they were absolutely 100%  Giger's beast. And as for fox calling this and that canon, well, i really think thats up to us fans at this point as we know fox's meddling has never been a good thing. Examples: Alien 3, ACM, Ripleys inclusion in Out of the Shadows, Prometheus, Fire and Stone so on and so forth. I bet im not the only one who remembers fox announcing ACM being canon to the films though. So how about it guys? Who here counts ACM as canon to the films? Fox said it is so it must be, right?

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: LordCassusSnow on Feb 29, 2016, 02:26:58 AM
Were actually talking about the re-use of imagery from ACM in these comics. The Alien used on the cover is actually pretty amazing. But inside the aliens depicted are clearly ripped straight out of the abomination we know as ACM. Damned if their not screen shots traced over. Everything else, artistically, is great and i'm sure the story will be quite compelling. I just mentioned the novels as to compare to an ongoing trend of referencing characters from acm which is a terrible idea in my honest opinion.

Cassus, do you actually know what its like to put your heart and soul into a work of art or a design and to go out of your way to share it with fans of the subject?  I do that every single day, and I can tell you, it is not a very easy thing to do.  It is a very vulnerable and exposed place to be.  I think we are all 1000% beyond grateful that Tristan is sharing his insider's perspective with us here and allowing us to see some of his amazing art before the rest of the world does.  Step back for a second and think how cool that is.  If you don't like it, at least don't go flaming the artist about things which are ultimately just your own subjective preference.  Would you really talk to the artist this way in person?  Come on, use some tact Bro, and don't ruin this for the rest of us who are super excited about what looks to be an amazing series by someone who really cares and has invested himself into the project.

426Buddy

Quote from: LordCassusSnow on Feb 29, 2016, 03:48:23 PM
Look, Bolaji Badejo did an excellent job at portraying the beast and he was a guy in a suit. Best portrayal of the Alien imo. The creators of Alien isolation admitted the "dinosaur legs" on their xeno's weren't planned but were a necessity to the games mechanics so had to be kept in the game. Side note, I remember H.R Giger's expressions towards his beast looking like a dinosaur being a little negative. Now when ACM started pumping out screenshots, lots of people had problems with the size, tail, hips and back tubes of the alien warriors. I myself was a little annoyed at the missing ridges along the top of the dome. Now when Fire and Stone seemingly traced over still photos of neca's alien warriors, it didn't annoy me much really. i mean sure the hands could have been drawn differently but other than that they were absolutely 100%  Giger's beast. And as for fox calling this and that canon, well, i really think thats up to us fans at this point as we know fox's meddling has never been a good thing. Examples: Alien 3, ACM, Ripleys inclusion in Out of the Shadows, Prometheus, Fire and Stone so on and so forth. I bet im not the only one who remembers fox announcing ACM being canon to the films though. So how about it guys? Who here counts ACM as canon to the films? Fox said it is so it must be, right?

The Alien design is the least of A:CM's problems, but that game has long been discussed here and its pretty much agreed that its horrible. I think we all would like to forget about it, but you can always go to the A:CM forum here if you want to talk more about that game.

Now lets focus on Defiance and how awesome it looks and how lucky we are to have Tristan here, because that's crazy awesome.

tyrannosaurusjones

Pretty glad the moderators saw fit to put in an ignore button, because clearly ignoring things is an issue with some people ;)

I still like the fact that the big bastard with the Spitter head seems to be fine... Unless someone's still trapped in a flashback...

HAHAHAHAH! I also drew the ridges on the heads...!

Seriously though, you guys are all great!

Ultramorph

Quote from: tyrannosaurusjones on Feb 29, 2016, 12:37:43 PM
If I had it my way, they'd all look like Plunkett's designs/Isolation's Beast, but there's a very specific reason we can't, and it has something to do with Covenant. So there you go.

Everyone else, I'm SUPER stoked you're all digging it so far...! Means the world to me! :D

Ooooh, now that's very interesting. There are so many things going on with franchise right now, and it's getting to be really exciting!

KiramidHead

The only A:CM design I recall disliking was the neon green one that did a goofy T. rex walk at times.

RidgeTop

RidgeTop

Thought I might jump in here, perhaps to slightly play Devil's Advocate.

I'm really anticipating this comic as it looks like an interesting mesh of the horror of Alien: Isolation and the action of Aliens. As far as the concerns of LordCassusSnow go, although they look unfounded, I can kind of understand where they're coming from, although I don't agree with his recently stated opinions myself. As Aliens: Fire and Stone was launching in late 2014, I initially thought the art for the Aliens was traced, this was before I knew who the artist was.

Some examples here:
Spoiler

He pretty heavily refrerenced ACM as well, granted this was for an ACM comic he worked on but the frame was pretty much identical to the screenshot.

[close]

I could instantly recognize them as the NECA Aliens figures, and even their hands were in the same position in every frame. Later I met the artist, Patrick Reynolds, in person at Salt Lake Comic Con, and in the nicest way I could, asked if all the elements in his art were freehand, to which he said they were. He pre-visualizes his art using collages with photos of figures, actors, etc. and uses those as a guide. He's an impressive artist, but I wanted to tell him (though I didn't fearing I'd be rude) that I thought the Aliens might have benefited more from his own spin on them, rather than be so highly referenced from the figures.

I've been following your work on Twitter, Tristan and I've been nothing but blown away with your awesome and unique comic style, as an art student, I can tell your work is obviously not traced. Though I did recognize the ACM designs immediately, I could tell you did what you wanted with them; manipulated and altered them in good ways, and for that I'm far more impressed with your work on the Aliens themselves than I was with Reynolds's art. Reference simply goes with the territory of art, especially for licensed properties, it's what you do with the reference that makes the difference.

Also, to refute one of LordCassusSnow's points, I don't think designs need to be written off just because they were included in what the community perceived to be not the greatest projects. Aliens: Colonial Marines may have been a disappointing game, but there were some genuinely awesome designs made for that game. Same goes for AVP:R, the Wolf is one of the best looking Predators I've ever seen.

But yes, It's awesome to have you here in the community, Tristan, and I can't wait to check out the comics you've been working on.

LordCassusSnow

Ridge top, your a man after my own heart ;) I too loved some of the design choices in Avp-R such as Wolf. Hell, the Raven in ACM was pretty damn scary and was probably the inspiration for Isolations beast. I just thought it annoying and quite curious that ACM imagery keeps popping up even to this day. Its like a conspiracy bro O.o Also,  jones, your right i do see the ridges on your xeno domes. Nicely done. And did you mean boiler when you said spitter, or? In any case your art for this particular universe is a huge step up after Avp Three World War. Again, my only annoyance is the choice of alien used in this title. If you asked me about the actual art being put into this, i'd have to say its one of the best i've seen used for an Aliens story. A little criticism never hurts. If we had some guy, like me, on set of Prometheus instead of a bunch of yes-men then i bet we'd have gotten a much better movie than what Riddles and fox put out. All that aside, Ridge top, if it pleases, I'd like to have a nice chat with you on our likes and dislikes of the alien and predator franchises. I think we could share some valuable insights and info if your willing?

HuDaFuK

Quote from: LordCassusSnow on Mar 01, 2016, 05:05:42 PMHell, the Raven in ACM was pretty damn scary and was probably the inspiration for Isolations beast.

???

Corporal Hicks

Let's not feed him.

The Alien Predator

Tyrannosaurusjones, I would like to say thank you for sharing your amazing artwork and contributing to the Alien franchise with your work. You're incredibly skilled and talented. I love the attention and detail you place in your artwork.

Keep up the great work, I look forward to reading this when it comes out.

426Buddy

Seems like forever until late april, at least Predator L&D will be here before that so I will have something to hold me over.

I didn't even realize this was a 12 issue run, that's sweet, haven't collected a 12 issue run yet.

robbritton

People ought to be happy that some of the wonderful designs done for ACM are being rescued from that terrible car crash and used in something worthy. It always made me sad that original bits like the cargo dropships and such were doomed to forever be only part of something so pants.

The mix of styles on display in what we've seen of Defiance thus far looks glorious, and it's always a thrill to see the iconography of the first three movies mixed together.

Corporal Hicks

"Vagina spiders for your faces HASHTAGBODYHORROR"

:laugh:

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed