Dark Horse Announces Aliens: Defiance

Started by RidgeTop, Sep 30, 2015, 06:29:00 AM

Author
Dark Horse Announces Aliens: Defiance (Read 190,831 times)

Hello Gordon

I'm a manager at an LA-based comic book shop and Brian Wood just sent us a PDF of Aliens:Defiance #1. I have to say that's the most excited I've been by an Aliens book in a while. It's a cool premise and the art is fantastic. I definitely got a Kilian Plunkett vibe which I hope comes off as praise; in my opinion he's a very talented artist and it's a shame we don't see much comics work from him these days. I liked how Defiance #1 combined various visual elements from different sources like the Moebius spacesuit (I think it was Moebius?) and the androids from the Isolation video game. Most importantly, the book felt more sovereign than the Fire and Stone series which suffered from its overt inter-connectivity. Anyway good stuff! I'm going to push it hard here in the store.

426Buddy

Just preordered issue #2, picked up "More than Human" as well.

Can't wait for the first issue of Defiance to get here!

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I think you might want to take a step back Cassus and get yourself straight before you offend again. The novel covers are indeed blatantly covers of screenshots of Colonial Marines. I'd suggest you take that up in a different thread - I'm sure we were talking about that in a favourites cover art thread.

I'm so hyped for Defiance and I'm glad so many of you are. Everything I've seen from Tristan has me really excited. The Talking Comic Book and Gordon's feedback are only making it worse! I have no idea how I'm going to make it through March!  :laugh:

A new one from today.

LordCassusSnow

Were actually talking about the re-use of imagery from ACM in these comics. The Alien used on the cover is actually pretty amazing. But inside the aliens depicted are clearly ripped straight out of the abomination we know as ACM. Damned if their not screen shots traced over. Everything else, artistically, is great and i'm sure the story will be quite compelling. I just mentioned the novels as to compare to an ongoing trend of referencing characters from acm which is a terrible idea in my honest opinion.

tyrannosaurusjones

tyrannosaurusjones

Did you actually just accuse me of tracing over screenshots from a f**king game? This whole thing of you having a problem with me using the Colonial Marines warrior designs is hilarious, given your avatar comes uses the AVP creature design...

426Buddy

You're art is really great man, I think most of us can't wait to get this series! But there's always going to be "that guy", can't please everyone yah know?

Ultramorph

Quote from: tyrannosaurusjones on Feb 29, 2016, 02:59:36 AM

Nice! I can't wait to see what you have in store for the big bad in this series.

SpreadEagleBeagle

Yeah, totally getting a Kilian Plunkett vibe here, which is an awesome thing. Anyways, great, great art. Looking forward to get my hands on this comic.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: LordCassusSnow on Feb 29, 2016, 02:26:58 AM
Were actually talking about the re-use of imagery from ACM in these comics. The Alien used on the cover is actually pretty amazing. But inside the aliens depicted are clearly ripped straight out of the abomination we know as ACM. Damned if their not screen shots traced over. Everything else, artistically, is great and i'm sure the story will be quite compelling. I just mentioned the novels as to compare to an ongoing trend of referencing characters from acm which is a terrible idea in my honest opinion.

It might be a good idea for you to post up some pictures where you believe you can see this. Otherwise you just keep coming across as a troll at the minute. I've not seen anyone else bring this up.

All I see from Defiance is Tristan and as keeps getting mentioned, that Plunkett vibe, which is frigging awesome.

So close now! The wait is unbearable!

HuDaFuK

Given my frequently stated general dislike of the comic book format, I really have got very hyped for this.

Can't wait to get my hands on the first issue.

tyrannosaurusjones

Just so it's clear where I stand -- I make ZERO bones about my love for the designs of the aliens in Colonial Marines (except the boiler, still looks cool, but terrible idea), but as far as I can tell, there's not a great deal of difference between the warriors in the film and the warriors in the game. Why do I like the tweaks made to the warriors in the game? Because they look more like animals than people in suits. That big bastard I just put the picture up of -- the head is based on the spitter. Why? Because I love the head, and I love the rictus grin. I know Colonial Marines isn't continuity. It's a f**king terrible game, but everything in it looks perfect (except the boilers). There's a VERY specific reason I'm using a more animalistic design for these particular warriors and why the big one in the middle of that swarm in the preview is based more on the Beast/Big Chap. We'll get to it all eventually, but it's basically my way of streamlining the continuity and picking and choosing the best of what's already out there and making that work with the films. The films are sovereign, and from what I've been told Defiance is now too. So, that one dude, you're gonna have to deal with it. I saw a design or a version of the design I liked, and I went for it. The design serves a very specific purpose to the overall continuity and biology, and if you don't like it... well... too bad? If I had it my way, they'd all look like Plunkett's designs/Isolation's Beast, but there's a very specific reason we can't, and it has something to do with Covenant. So there you go.

Everyone else, I'm SUPER stoked you're all digging it so far...! Means the world to me! :D

HuDaFuK

Quote from: tyrannosaurusjones on Feb 29, 2016, 12:37:43 PMIf I had it my way, they'd all look like Plunkett's designs/Isolation's Beast, but there's a very specific reason we can't, and it has something to do with Covenant. So there you go.

Ooooh...

I'd ask you to tell us more, but I'm guessing Ridley would send the hitmen round :)

tyrannosaurusjones

Pretty much! But that stuff will slowly come out as Defiance progresses. Remember, Weyland Yutani BARELY knows about the alien in this, too!

426Buddy

Oh man the wait just got even more unbearable. I haven't been this excited about an aliens series since the 90's  ;D

As far as A:CM aliens go,  I don't remember the alien warrior designs ever being an issue in that game, they looked pretty faithful to aliens as far as I remember anyway. It was the story and gameplay that were a bad in that one.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: 420Buddy on Feb 29, 2016, 01:39:39 PMAs far as A:CM aliens go,  I don't remember the alien warrior designs ever being an issue in that game, they looked pretty faithful to aliens as far as I remember anyway.

The actual design of the basic Aliens was pretty decent. Certainly nothing glaringly wrong with it. It was the movement that ruined them, twerking around all over the place like they're on crack. Especially when you compare them to the 2010 AVP game, where the Alien movement animations were pretty superb.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed