Dark Horse Announces Aliens: Defiance

Started by RidgeTop, Sep 30, 2015, 06:29:00 AM

Author
Dark Horse Announces Aliens: Defiance (Read 189,139 times)

HuDaFuK

Quote from: 8BA on Oct 13, 2015, 05:18:58 PMI think I remember it just states that a ship called the Auriga crashed into the Earth. In the new canon that could easily be dismissed as a freak accident unrelated to the Xenomorphs.

Bit of a stretch. So we're rewriting the films, but some of the events in them still happened...? Kinda counter-intuitive, convoluted and daft if you ask me.

Better to just stick with what it is until the new film is in production and set in stone.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Oct 13, 2015, 05:51:09 PM
Quote from: 8BA on Oct 13, 2015, 05:18:58 PMI think I remember it just states that a ship called the Auriga crashed into the Earth. In the new canon that could easily be dismissed as a freak accident unrelated to the Xenomorphs.

Bit of a stretch. So we're rewriting the films, but some of the events in them still happened...? Kinda counter-intuitive, convoluted and daft if you ask me.

Better to just stick with what it is until the new film is in production and set in stone.

Yah, I have to agree with that.  Crashing another Auriga into the earth is about as lame as renaming Hicks and Newt as Wilks and Billie, or having multiple juggernauts crash-landing all over the place...

Lonely Universe

Well, SoS was written before Blomkamp's ideas ever came to light. It's likely that if A5 retcons those two pictures Fox & Titan will simply omit the mention in future reprints. Otherwise, the simplest & most logical explanation is 'freak accident'. You'll have to make sense of it somehow.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: 8BA on Oct 13, 2015, 06:47:43 PMWell, SoS was written before Blomkamp's ideas ever came to light.

As was the new book.

Corporal Hicks

That said, apparently the announcement did lead to some changes in Incursion though. We don't know what. I should be getting my copy within the next few days so we'll have to see if anything obvious jumps out.

Born Of Cold Light

I think the comment about Aliens making the Aliens less scary is a fair one.  The movie itself doesn't do this, but like what was said, this was what was drawn out from the movie in later media.  A small complaint that I've had about Alien EU material is that it sometimes puts across the idea that one Alien is an unstoppable force of nature no matter what, while many are no problem as long as you have some kind of firearm.  That goes into another complaint of mine; it has often been shown, with a few exceptions, that as long as you have a gun with sufficient ammunition, you can take down an entire hive.  AVP: Xenogenesis was one of the worst offenders, with two skinny hackers taking down hundreds of Aliens with an UZI and a 9mm, all the while tripping over stuff and arguing with each other.  It reminded me of those old Jackie Chan films where he's screwing up in the middle of fights while still beating up the bad guys; all of the horror of the Aliens was gone.  This kind of logic is acceptable for a video game, but should not be used in an official narrative story.

In actuality, taking on a horde of Aliens should be incredibly difficult, even with a company of the best-trained, best-equipped soldiers.  One slight screw-up and you're dead, unlike Aliens Xenogenesis where it often seemed like the Marines were dancing through the hive.  It seems to be like this new comic is looking to finally get things right; having a pulse rifle does not inherently make one any safer.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Born Of Cold Light on Oct 14, 2015, 04:53:52 PM
I think the comment about Aliens making the Aliens less scary is a fair one.  The movie itself doesn't do this, but like what was said, this was what was drawn out from the movie in later media.  A small complaint that I've had about Alien EU material is that it sometimes puts across the idea that one Alien is an unstoppable force of nature no matter what, while many are no problem as long as you have some kind of firearm.  That goes into another complaint of mine; it has often been shown, with a few exceptions, that as long as you have a gun with sufficient ammunition, you can take down an entire hive.  AVP: Xenogenesis was one of the worst offenders, with two skinny hackers taking down hundreds of Aliens with an UZI and a 9mm, all the while tripping over stuff and arguing with each other.  It reminded me of those old Jackie Chan films where he's screwing up in the middle of fights while still beating up the bad guys; all of the horror of the Aliens was gone.  This kind of logic is acceptable for a video game, but should not be used in an official narrative story.

In actuality, taking on a horde of Aliens should be incredibly difficult, even with a company of the best-trained, best-equipped soldiers.  One slight screw-up and you're dead, unlike Aliens Xenogenesis where it often seemed like the Marines were dancing through the hive.  It seems to be like this new comic is looking to finally get things right; having a pulse rifle does not inherently make one any safer.

This.

I watched Aliens when I was 10.  It was my first introduction to the Aliens universe.  Hence why I refer to it as the Aliens universe.  It scared the crap out of me, and a lot of people.  The first EU comics also had a delicious element of horror and dread, but it definitely got lost.  The creatures somehow became fodder and inelegant.  They need to come across as much more dangerous and cunning.  Their intelligence needs to come across more.  Not like that, "I'm a scientist" kind of intelligence, but more like "I am the ultimate predator" kind of intelligence.

Lonely Universe

Lonely Universe

I absolutely hate Xenogenesis. It's probably my least favorite Aliens thing ever. It's just the absolute worst, rock bottom moment of the franchise.

Honorable mention to Alien vs Predator vs Terminator vs Robocop vs Buffy vs The Volcano: Butt Hunter

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Oct 14, 2015, 07:08:56 PMI watched Aliens when I was 10.  It was my first introduction to the Aliens universe.  Hence why I refer to it as the Aliens universe.

The first film I saw was Alien 3, does that make it the Alien 3 franchise? ::)

Corporal Hicks

Come on now fellas, let's all be gents about this.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Oct 15, 2015, 07:43:49 AM
Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Oct 14, 2015, 07:08:56 PMI watched Aliens when I was 10.  It was my first introduction to the Aliens universe.  Hence why I refer to it as the Aliens universe.

The first film I saw was Alien 3, does that make it the Alien 3 franchise? ::)

With all due respect, Alien 3 references a specific number in a sequence of films, while Aliens is a generally plural number, hence it makes sense that it defines the Aliens universe in general.  However, naturally, you're welcome to refer to it as the Alien 3 franchise if that fits better with your own headcanon, as much as its ok for other people to refer to it as the Alien franchise.

Corporal Hicks

QuoteIt's the little things...

HuDaFuK

Hah! Nice touch!

Perfect-Organism

Lol!  Touché.   ;)

happypred

I disliked Xenogenesis...but mainly because of the art. The predator reminds me of a teenage mutant ninja turtle...and the aliens have really exaggerated ostrich legs

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed