Dark Horse Announces Aliens: Defiance

Started by RidgeTop, Sep 30, 2015, 06:29:00 AM

Author
Dark Horse Announces Aliens: Defiance (Read 192,213 times)

Russ840

Yeah that's true but Defiance is no where near as crap as Colonial Marines

426Buddy

As someone who has only read Aliens CM recently, i found it started off bad and only got worse.

Aliens Defiance had a wonderful first half. The second half was not as good but was still better than anything in the Aliens CM series.

SM

SM

CM didn't just have different artists - the writing team changed a lot and original plan changed from 12 issues to 10.  Ultimately the conclusion was very confused.  Defiance isn't.

Defiance isn't even in the same ballpark.

Perfect-Organism

The first half was awesome.  No question.  The story had balls.  The character went rogue.  But at the end she just turned herself in?  And everything was basically ok?  Come on!  This story went nowhere.  I feel like this thing keeps happening at Dark Horse where they get permission to do a certain story and then half-way through, they are forced to change it to something else.  It was like that with the original Colonial Marines story, and there were others that don't come to mind at the moment..

SM

SM

Zula had no choice but to return.  Her back was wrecked.

And I seem to recall the Europa was in pretty bad shape too.

Perfect-Organism

She just needed some black goo for her back...  ;)

Ultramorph

Aliens Definace 2: Accelerant Wars.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: SM on Nov 23, 2017, 10:07:00 PMZula had no choice but to return.  Her back was wrecked.

I get that, but Perfect-Organism's right in that it did seem like a big, unintended turn-around in the story. At least, it came across to me that way.

SM

SM

Have to read it again.  Never read the whole thing in one whack; only month by month.

Ultramorph

My biggest gripe with the way the story unfiloded was how a few threads were left hanging, particularly Hollis studying the xenos to create a weapon against them, and Davis saving the finger.

Whiskeybrewer

Found out I was missing an issue of the series. Then managed to find the Issue in Cardiff's Forbidden Planet

Nightmare Asylum

Been trying to find back issues of this to no avail at my LCS. Been collecting the Aliens comics lately after going pretty much my whole life without reading any... and most of them that I've gotten/read so far have been pretty terrible (with a few gems among the shit), but it is fun regardless to dive in and see how different creative teams interpret this universe in a new medium.

SM

SM

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Nov 24, 2017, 10:45:39 AM
Quote from: SM on Nov 23, 2017, 10:07:00 PMZula had no choice but to return.  Her back was wrecked.

I get that, but Perfect-Organism's right in that it did seem like a big, unintended turn-around in the story. At least, it came across to me that way.

Just reading it again.  The ships environmental system was rooted and Zula was addicted to pain medication.

Xenomrph

Quote from: SM on Nov 29, 2017, 10:52:57 AM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on Nov 24, 2017, 10:45:39 AM

Just reading it again.  The ships environmental system was rooted and Zula was addicted to pain medication.
That's all a pretty big contrivance used to justify the turn-around, given the grandiose setup the first half of the run established. Defiance was set up as an ongoing series, there's a ton of different ways to solve both of those problems without spending 5/12ths of its run time returning to Earth and abruptly ending the series.  Have Davis and Zula abandon the Europa for a different ship (hell, they were even provided one when the pirates docked, and then all the pirates got killed). Explore Zula and Davis resorting to potentially unethical, pirate-like behavior to get Zula more pain medication. It's not a difficult problem to write yourself out of.

Wweyland

Just finished this. The artist change was jarring.
Is this supposed to be the same ship?
https://i.imgur.com/q9v3IXA.jpg
They look nothing alike! Maybe I just missed something in the story.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed