Prometheus 2 To Start Production In February

Started by Corporal Hicks, Sep 13, 2015, 08:25:19 AM

Author
Prometheus 2 To Start Production In February (Read 10,916 times)

Corporal Hicks

Ridley Scott’s latest science-fiction film, The Martian, was recently screened at the Toronto International Film Festival where Ridley Scott was interviewed by Deadline. We’ve recently heard that Prometheus 2 was Scott’s next film. Scott confirmed to Deadline that Prometheus 2 would be starting production in February 2016 and he also talked a little about the plot of Prometheus 2:

“You can either say, leave the first film alone and jump ahead, but you can't because it ends on too specific a plot sentence as she says, I want to go where they came from, I don't want to go back to where I came from. I thought the subtext of that film was a bit florid and grandiose, but it asks a good question: who created us? I don't think we are here by accident. I find it otherwise hard to believe you and I are sitting here at this table, because the molecular miracles that would have had to occur were in the trillions, since the first sign of human life that crawled out of the mud with four fingers, would bloody well be impossible, unless there was some guidance system. Also, you have the sun approximately the same distance from earth as it is from maybe millions of planets and planetoids that are almost identical distance and therefore enjoy the value of sunlight on their soil. Are you telling me there are no other planets with human life? I simply don't believe it.”

Ridley Scott confirms Prometheus 2 will start production in February.

Ridley Scott confirms Prometheus 2 will start production in February.

The interview also talks a lot about Ridley Scott’s work on science-fiction, discussing Alien, Blade-Runner, Prometheus and of course, his upcoming film with Matt Damon, The Martian. Thanks to The Perfect Organism for the news.

T Dog

If he thought the subtext was "florid and grandiose" then why the hell did he make it?

Ultramorph

Cool. Hopefully they have a stronger script this time around.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

He also confirms that Fassbender will be back so looks like it will be a straight-up sequel picking-up where Prometheus left off.

QuoteDEADLINE: Prometheus ended with Noomi Rapace's Dr. Elizabeth Shaw and the robot's head, taking off to find the engineers, the ancient architects that created civilization. Will Michael Fassbender be lending his head, and presumably the rest of himself, for that sequel, even though it was reported he would do The Snowman?

SCOTT: Oh, yes. He and I are friends, because we also did The Counselor. And, I love The Counselor. No one else seemed to.

And it will either be shot in Blighty (probably Pinewood) or Oz (Fox studios in Sydney or the outback perhaps?)

QuoteBut Fassbender will do this one with me, and it's meant to start production in February. I'm in prep, now. I'll either shoot in Aussie, or here.

T Dog

He also says:
"You've got to go back and find those engineers and see what they are thinking. If engineers are the forerunners of us, and therefore were creators of life forms in places that were possible for biology to function, who created that? Where's the big boy?"

Please be to Jesus that we get the real true Jockey in Prometheus 2! I'd be so happy!

oduodu

oduodu

If the engineers are the pinnacle - top of the food chain we are in serious trouble. How do they end up killing themselves off if they are the creators of their own technology ?? It doesn't make sense. Surely they can't be the highest life forms in the universe ?? I mean apart from God .

Great news though.

Shouldn't they have reached the singularity eons ago ??

T Dog

Quote from: oduodu on Sep 13, 2015, 02:50:50 PM
If the engineers are the pinnacle - top of the food chain we are in serious trouble. How do they end up killing themselves off if they are the creators of their own technology ?? It doesn't make sense. Surely they can't be the highest life forms in the universe ?? I mean apart from God .

Great news though.

Shouldn't they have reached the singularity eons ago ??

Well I thought he was suggesting the movie will be exploring who their creators were. That's what I took him to mean by the quote I posted above.

oduodu

oduodu

I agree. A hierarchy then.

At least I can relax now its going to happen - they say there is no such thing as bad publicity. I hope I have done my bit to promote the movie. Prometheus is known now and likely it will do better than Prometheus say around $600 million. I wonder if they will have the same marketing campaign as they did with Prometheus. Is it specifically principal photography that will start in February ??

T Dog

Quote from: oduodu on Sep 13, 2015, 03:41:05 PM
I agree. A hierarchy then.

At least I can relax now its going to happen - they say there is no such thing as bad publicity. I hope I have done my bit to promote the movie. Prometheus is known now and likely it will do better than Prometheus say around $600 million. I wonder if they will have the same marketing campaign as they did with Prometheus. Is it specifically principal photography that will start in February ??

I'd say so, the script has been complete for a while now, Ridley has been scouting locations and I'm guessing/hoping a lot of the unused designs from the first film will be working there way into the sequel.

Ultramorph

Here's hoping we get to see whatever eldritch space horror calls the shots for the Engineers. I so want a return to cosmic horror and Giger's aesthetic.

NickisSmart

I want to get sanity damage watching Prometheus 2. "Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!"

T Dog

Just a side note: I highly recommend reading the entire interview. It's one of the best Ridley interviews I've ever read. He's refreshingly candid and on point on everything.

NickisSmart

He's refreshment, candidness personified. Such a total boss, that man.

PRJ_since1990

So I am absolutely excited for Prometheus 2 (or whatever they're calling it) but I have to be honest. I really don't want Scott to go down the "aliens created us" route. I see where he's coming from, and while I don't agree with him on the notion of extraterrestrial life, I don't believe it's necessary to bring such grand plot devices into the series in order to progress it. I'll explain.

ALIEN is a fiction, about some unlucky workers in deep space that run into the most impossibly deadly creature ever conceived in science fiction. The whole franchise deals with this fictitious species as a threat to humanity and the story of Ripley in her unwanted quest to destroy them. Prometheus sets out to define the mysterious [Space Jockey] creature seen in ALIEN and where they fit into the plot. Both are nonhuman threats created to pose a challenge to humanity in the events that unfold in their respective films. Why does Sir Ridley Scott, who is known for such incredible films, feel the need to insert these notions of human origins in the Prometheus series? To me, it is a complete distraction to the plot and a pointless argument for the characters.

I really love Ultramorph's comment. I too would love a return to the Giger-eske style of the first film. I feel that ALIEN leaves the most lasting impact out of all 4 (soon 5) films due to literally everything from aesthetic to music score, costume design to set design, literally everything, including the unanswered mysteries of the film. I never felt like "we need to do a reverse flowchart so everything can be explained."

One man's opinion...

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

I would imagine Fox will replace Fantastic Four 2's release date in 2017 with Prometheus 2. Prometheus 2 would have to deal with WWZ2 though.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed