Windows 10

Started by Darkness, Aug 05, 2015, 04:04:14 PM

Author
Windows 10 (Read 2,555 times)

quijju

quijju

Windows 10 is another freaking joke by Microsoft. Sure it is definitely better in some ways to Win 8, but now I can't choose what updates I want to install! I am not having my own OS tell me what it's going to do without my permission. "Upgrade" my ass. As bad as Win 8 was at least you could ignore the useless updates that just waste space or can cause damage to your computer. Now if there is an update that causes problems, you are screwed. I believe certain versions of Windows 10 can postpone updates, but not cancel them. I am sure like all other Windows OS software, it will be everywhere on prebuilt computers due to Microsoft's monopoly and most users don't even question it. We lose more and more freedom with our software (and everything else!) every day and no one cares. The sheepish ignorance and apathy of the average consumer is mind numbing.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Thank God I still have 7

The Alien Predator

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Omegamorph on Aug 12, 2015, 06:08:13 PM
Thank God I still have 7

Lucky you. I'm glad I still have 8.1 (kinda got used to it now).

Just so you know, I heard somewhere that Microsoft plans to make 7 obsolete in 2 years. I'm not sure how authentic that is, but just figured I'd let you know in case you stop getting windows security updates or something down the line.  :)

One of my older computers still uses XP.  ;D

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

They've only just dropped support for XP. I'm sure they'll be supporting 7 for a while.

x-M-x

x-M-x

Quote from: Guan Thwei 1992 on Aug 12, 2015, 06:30:40 PM
Quote from: Omegamorph on Aug 12, 2015, 06:08:13 PM
Thank God I still have 7

Lucky you. I'm glad I still have 8.1 (kinda got used to it now).

Just so you know, I heard somewhere that Microsoft plans to make 7 obsolete in 2 years. I'm not sure how authentic that is, but just figured I'd let you know in case you stop getting windows security updates or something down the line.  :)

One of my older computers still uses XP.  ;D

January 14, 2020. is Windows 7's deadline...

'If it aint broke don't fix it'

Microsoft should support XP/Vista/7/8/8.1 till 2025 all of them.

windows 10? im on it right now.. the privacy is a nightmare  few bug here n there.... and the update issues? jesus christ.

worriors

worriors

Just upgraded windows 7 to windows 10, although i loved windows 7, windows 10 is'nt all that bad.

Prior to installing i uninstalled anything that i had on a cd (or download account programs) and left the programs on the hdd that i didnt have any backups of. That way the install time for windows 10 was halved.

Also if anyone has a problem with windows 10 taking longer to boot up (like i did), you just have to go to your control panel and choose system settings advance, startup and recovery, and then change "time to display operating systems" from 30secs to 8secs.

Just thought i'd share this with you cos a lot of people i work with had this problem.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

I'm glad I didn't upgrade to win10, the f**king thing records all of your shit and stores it on their servers and their enforcement contractors servers.

Never say no to Panda!

Never say no to Panda!

Upgrade from Windows 7 took forever (they even added a line to the installation process that says something like "Takes longer than it should...but it will soon be finished"). Whatever, had to reinstall it a few days later because of some kind of boot error (repair and reinstall options didn't work). But this time i downloaded the .iso file and installed it from DVD ... much faster and no errors so far.

I see no huge difference in my workflow, but some small little features make it feel better...smoother...not sure how to explain. Turned of plenty of spy options, find new ones every day...and afaik that won't help much since some mechanics you simply can't prevent. Installed tools to turn off as much as possible.Guess i will keep it since there is not much sensitive data on my computer.

Greetings

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Have been hearing from people that it scans your hard drive for any music files and assumes they're copied without permission, automatically contacting the copyright holders.

Eeeee...

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

At the moment that only applies to your games. However it does save a copy of all of your media files and stores it on their servers and sends it to markmonitor, M$ anti-piracy contractor, indefinitely unless you explicitly opt out of several core functions of win10. However a simple update can undue that at any time and they do not need to notify you about it. So... you know... windows knows everything about you and has it all saved up.

Darkness

Darkness

Hardly. There was a thing about pirated games but I think that was more or less applying to X-Box Live stuff rather than PC games. Imagine the horror if MS was scanning your hard drive for copyrighted stuff. Nobody would be using it if this was the case.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Might want to read that win10 eula again.

Hubbs

Hubbs

Just got Windows 10 on a new laptop. Silly question but why am I unable to get drop down bookmark bars on Chrome and FF??
All you get on Chrome is everything going across the top horizontally, most frustrating.

Plus certain sites seem to come up very small, in other words the background image fills half the screen and the main forum section is squeezed into the middle. I know I can adjust the size/ratio of the screen manually, but why does it do that for some sites? (mainly forums like this one). It does make the screen look bigger that's for sure but its hard to read.

Was also annoyed to discover a whole tonne of shit preloaded onto the laptop just like a smartphone. This stuff actually takes up a fair bit of hard disk space too! Why would I want Candy Crush and apps about the weather  ::)

darcevil

darcevil

Microsoft is really trying to force users onto windows 10, for example DirectX 11 won't be available on windows 7, so gamers will find that 7 won't be able to play a lot of new games in the next few years. I think this is Microsoft's death kneel, at least for operating systems. It wouldn't suspire me if Apple starts coming out with affordable computers or stores start selling pre-loaded linux machines and windows just fades into obsolescence, especially with the rise of tablet computing which they've already lost out on.

Hate to be a proselytizer, but if anyone is fed up with windows there's always linux. Many distros that are as easy to use as 7/xp and unless you need photoshop or something there's plenty of software to do daily tasks with.

Darkness

Darkness

You can't compare Linux to Windows. Completely different. I wish there was a decent free alternative to Windows but unfortunately there isn't. Nothing comes close to its features and interface. I think it will be around forever.

Haven't noticed any changes in Chrome, Hubbs. Still works exactly the same for me.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed