The End of 'AvP2Files'

Started by x-M-x, Jul 25, 2015, 12:22:21 AM

Author
The End of 'AvP2Files' (Read 7,415 times)

x-M-x

x-M-x

Hey everyone, i thought i'll mention this sad news today,

I've been speaking to friends/staff over at filefront/gamefront

And they have sent this following statement.

QuoteHey all,

While the fact that the Network Sites are now, suddenly, offline may come as a surprise to many, we all knew this day would come.

Of course, the websites were a big part of the history and overall contribution to GameFront for a lengthy period of time. They brought with them a thriving community based around popular titles of the time and files that couldn't be found anywhere else on the internet. (literally) Of course, we had our spats and occasional turbulent times, but in the end we all came together as one big family.

The problem is, the house we lived in wasn't built in a way that could allow those who didn't create it, to fix its issues properly. When you try to fix one thing, several other sections would break down. Of course, when you bring in a team that has never seen the network site code before and ask them to repair the issues, you're going to find that it's as daunting a task as asking a toddler to stop saying "no".

So, because of the difficulty and amount of work it would take to even learn how everything operated before anything could be fixed, it was pushed to the back burner to fix other portions of GameFront.

Now, I would like to say in the defense of our corporate overlords that they did return to the network sites to look into them when they could, but, as I said above about not knowing what made what work, they ended up not doing much of anything to fix the issues. It's not their fault, the way the sites were coded were never really meant to make sense to those who created it as they never expected others to ever look at it.

So here we are, a large portion of GameFront that hasn't been able to be updated in years, mixed with random issues that plague it such as screenshots randomly not loading even when they're physically there or the load balance issue that forced you to refresh the page until you were given a valid link to download a file from. It went from a symbol of gaming quality to a blotch on GameFront that made us look broken.

The sites were taken offline and will not return. Right now, we're working on getting the domains to redirect to their respective GameFront counterparts. But, the network sites as you knew them are gone.

I apologize to those who still used them and throughout the years of their use, I thank the volunteers that participated in making them work. Without your support, they wouldn't have lasted nearly as long as they have.

Thanks,
Jeff Mills
GameFront Site/Community/All-of-the-above Manager

It had to happen sooner or later.... and it was awesome/fun to run AvP2Files for 10+ years!

AvP2 Files 2000 - 2015

:)

@ Hicks, maybe sticky or news post would be possible?

KingKenny

KingKenny

I'm glad I have a 100% backup of every download off of avp2files. :laugh:

http://www.gamefront.com/files/listing/pub2/Aliens-vs-Predator-2/ - still works thankfully.

windebieste

windebieste

We desperately need a new moddable 'ALIENS' game.   Nothing for over a decade has been harsh. 

Mind you, if Sega would release a dev kit for either 'AvP 2010', 'A:CM' or 'A:I', I'd be all over that stuff like a rash.

Just wishful thinking.  Gaming mod scene for this series has become so 'meh'...  Not for lack of interest or enthusiasm, but you know... Fox and Sega don't want it.

They'e so short sighted.

-Windebieste.

Lucifero

Lucifero

Quote from: KingKenny on Jul 25, 2015, 12:38:33 AM
I'm glad I have a 100% backup of every download off of avp2files. :laugh:

http://www.gamefront.com/files/listing/pub2/Aliens-vs-Predator-2/ - still works thankfully.

i hope its not last dinner!

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I'm really gutted to hear about this. Whilst I don't play the game as often now-a-days, I always used to visit AvP2 Files for something new to try out quite often. I'm glad Kenny has backups though!

windebieste

windebieste

I have a ton of back ups as well.  Tons of stuff archived on many CD's. 

While some stuff may get lost as a result of this closure, I'm sure most of the content is recoverable.

-Windebieste.

x-M-x

x-M-x

Quote from: windebieste on Jul 28, 2015, 11:12:18 PM

While some stuff may get lost as a result of this closure, I'm sure most of the content is recoverable.

-Windebieste.

Don't worry man, me and kenny have the complete 100% backup from it. (nothing is lost)  :P

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Yeah that sucks. I'm glad you guys have the backups.

Quote from: windebieste on Jul 25, 2015, 08:55:04 AM
We desperately need a new moddable 'ALIENS' game.   Nothing for over a decade has been harsh. 

Mind you, if Sega would release a dev kit for either 'AvP 2010', 'A:CM' or 'A:I', I'd be all over that stuff like a rash.

Just wishful thinking.  Gaming mod scene for this series has become so 'meh'...  Not for lack of interest or enthusiasm, but you know... Fox and Sega don't want it.

They'e so short sighted.

-Windebieste.
It's unbelievable that there isn't anything moddable out there. Even Rebellion's AvP 2010 would be excellent for modders to get their hands on. Just the maps alone would breathe so much life into the game, given how solid the Alien AI was during the wave modes.

I'll never understand why a publisher or developer would rather have a game totally die than release dev kits or source for it and let the modders go to town. It makes zero sense.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: x-M-x on Jul 29, 2015, 12:01:48 AM

-Windebieste.

Don't worry man, me and kenny have the complete 100% backup from it. (nothing is lost)  :P

Are you guys planning a replacement?

Quote from: RagingDragon on Jul 29, 2015, 12:32:36 AM
I'll never understand why a publisher or developer would rather have a game totally die than release dev kits or source for it and let the modders go to town. It makes zero sense.

I have to wonder on the attitude behind that and the cost. I suspect it's to peddle the paid for DLC but why they don't release the tools after the planned additions... :-\

Lucifero

Lucifero

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 29, 2015, 07:23:21 AM
I have to wonder on the attitude behind that and the cost. I suspect it's to peddle the paid for DLC but why they don't release the tools after the planned additions... :-\

an alien cospiracy XD
jokes appart.
I never understood the trade policies of the rebellion.
An example are the maps made payment for avp 2010 I refused to buy them.

Aliens vs. Predator Swarm Map Pack

http://store.steampowered.com/app/10695/

Aliens vs Predatorâ„¢ Bughunt Map Pack

http://store.steampowered.com/app/10697/

for exemple  :P

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I think it's generally down to the publisher, not developer? I may be completely wrong though.

That said, the DLC for AvP2010 was fantastic.

windebieste

windebieste

Quote from: RagingDragon on Jul 29, 2015, 12:32:36 AM

I can think of a couple good reasons.  First, the tools have to be budgeted in to the game's design.  They have to be configured in such a way people can use them - some inhouse tools are unfit to release because artists have to be familair with them at the code level.  That's not true for all games of course but some tools are just a nightmare to work with - even for the people designing the game.   I've messed around with some tools that were 'professional' in the sense that they got the job done, but you wouldn't want the public to use them.  It costs a lot to make the tools useable by people outside of a dev team.  The interface has to work, it has to do what it says on the box and it's got to have documentation that might be scattered across a servers in a studio.  There's plenty of functionality that might only have a specific task and it might not suit the developer/publisher to release such content.  So, yes, the tools have to be made fit for public use, and that costs money.

Then on top of that, they have to be safe in public hands.  This means that the tools have to be hack proof.  A badly prepared set of tools will provide backdoors into vulnerable parts of the game and may end up being exploited as cheats.  So at the very least, if any code is released as part of an SDK it's not used by hackers to ruin the experience of the game.  Get thousands of hackers using your tools to ruin an online game and the game itself is history within 24 hours. 

On top of that, some tools also add model import abilities, which is fine except some tools also allow assets to be unpacked before they can be used in modders projects.  The problem here is models and textures may get used outside the intended use of the publisher.   For example, Garry's mod uses all manner of content stripped from other games.  Publishers and owners of such titles make no money out of Garry's mod content because it's provided by third parties. 

So those are the reasons I perceive as being critical problems with releasing tools: 

1).  It costs money to make them appropriate for the public to use.
2).  Publishers risk losing control over how the content  that dev teams have created for their game is going to be used - or more importantly - abused.

Then, of course, it's just easier to lock modding out entirely and force players to buy the next iteration of their IP without worrying about lost sales due to fan made content keeping an older title alive.

-Windebieste.

KingKenny

KingKenny

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 29, 2015, 07:23:21 AM
Quote from: x-M-x on Jul 29, 2015, 12:01:48 AM

-Windebieste.

Are you guys planning a replacement?

That's the plan.

Chris!(($$))!

Chris!(($$))!

Quote from: windebieste on Jul 25, 2015, 08:55:04 AM

They'e so short sighted.

-Windebieste.

Just imagine what could be done with AvP2010 if we had the SDK for it. Species Classes, new weapons, aim down sites, f**kin CROUCH.

A:CM would take quite a bit more work to make good even with the SDK.

windebieste

windebieste

For sure.  Now consider that game was released in 2010 and imagine what the custom stuff that would have been like after the tools had been available for 5 years. 

New game modes, complete campaigns, total conversions, movie themed expansions... 

Nope.  None of that.  Thanks Fox.  Thanks Sega.  Just take the money.

-Windebieste.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed