New Alien 5 Ripley/Hicks Concept Art

Started by Darkness, Jul 16, 2015, 07:16:11 PM

Author
New Alien 5 Ripley/Hicks Concept Art (Read 39,628 times)

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Thomas on Jul 18, 2015, 01:49:30 AM
....... i believe that there were/are korean personel in weyland yutani but particuarly in Alien 3 you notice it in the personel arriving at the end of the movie.......

Dr. Matshuita in Alien 3 is Japanese (albeit played by Chinese actor Hi Ching (credited as company man 1))

Interestingly, in  Blade Runner there is a Korean cop in heavy body armour who tells Deckard , "Hey, idi-wa", Korean for "Hey, come here".

THE CITY HUNTER

I don't know what to say about the concept art.In one opinion I like the creative ideas but in a other hand I am getting worried about alien 3(it is retconning alien 3 >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:()I mean zeno suit.

swarm87

Quote from: Beatnation on Jul 17, 2015, 11:56:46 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H07zYvkNYL8

Im done with this shit, Blomhack just ignoring Alien 3, my favorite Alien movie, in favor of fan-fiction, seems like he's not smart enough to figure out a better story than just wipe out the last 2 movies, f**k that shit

i agree, this isn't the Star Wars legends EU where you can shove your fingers in your ears and just say "nope, not canon", either reboot the whole series or dont bother starting the bulldozer; this clown says "he has no ego" yet he seems to have more ego than Randy Pitchford (you better believe i went there) thinking he has the right to disregard two films in a series to please fanboys. yes, his concept art looks cool but it takes more than pretty concept art to reinvigorate a franchise thats been effectively dormant for almost 20 years(unless you count the avp films and "that ancient aliens movie with the albinos in elephant man spacesuits that resemble that fossil from the first film)

marrerom

Quote from: swarm87 on Jul 19, 2015, 02:36:55 AM
Quote from: Beatnation on Jul 17, 2015, 11:56:46 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H07zYvkNYL8

Im done with this shit, Blomhack just ignoring Alien 3, my favorite Alien movie, in favor of fan-fiction, seems like he's not smart enough to figure out a better story than just wipe out the last 2 movies, f**k that shit

i agree, this isn't the Star Wars legends EU where you can shove your fingers in your ears and just say "nope, not canon", either reboot the whole series or dont bother starting the bulldozer; this clown says "he has no ego" yet he seems to have more ego than Randy Pitchford (you better believe i went there) thinking he has the right to disregard two films in a series to please fanboys. yes, his concept art looks cool but it takes more than pretty concept art to reinvigorate a franchise thats been effectively dormant for almost 20 years(unless you count the avp films and "that ancient aliens movie with the albinos in elephant man spacesuits that resemble that fossil from the first film)

Alien Resurrection is the first Alien film I saw.  I love that movie.  Its not as good as the others but still very good. I feel the same about Alien 3. Both are hugely underrated and to disregard them is to do a disservice to the series.

Shinawi

Shinawi

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jul 18, 2015, 01:23:06 PM
....... i believe that there were/are korean personel in weyland yutani but particuarly in Alien 3 you notice it in the personel arriving at the end of the movie.......

Dr. Matshuita in Alien 3 is Japanese (albeit played by Chinese actor Hi Ching (credited as company man 1))

Interestingly, in  Blade Runner there is a Korean cop in heavy body armour who tells Deckard , "Hey, idi-wa", Korean for "Hey, come here".

That's really interesting. I watched Blade Runner many years ago. So I forgot about the Korean cop. It makes me wonder what made Ridley Scott decide to have Koreans patrol his city. (I'm not against his decision since it's his movie and it's science fiction. And seeing a Korean in a controlling position like that in a British/American movie was very new and intriguing). Note that the Korean spoke in Korean to Deckard, not in English. It's as if the Koreans are in control of this city. Blade Runner is a 1982 film. This was long before South Korea became a wealthy and high tech country. In fact, South Korea used to have sweatshops in 1982. And the country was politically unstable, experiencing coups and oppression by the government. This was before South Korea hosted the Summer Olympics and the FIFA World Cup. I was a very young kid at that time, but I still remember that people didn't think much about Korea. I even know people who weren't even aware of that country.  It seems so out of the blue that he chose Korea as the superpower in his film.

Or could it be that the Korean was acting as a mercenary for the Japanese? I remember a lot of Japanese cultural influence in the city.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Shinawi on Jul 19, 2015, 11:54:28 AM
Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jul 18, 2015, 01:23:06 PM

That's really interesting. I watched Blade Runner many years ago. So I forgot about the Korean cop. It makes me wonder what made Ridley Scott decide to have Koreans patrol his city. Note that the Korean spoke in Korean to Deckard, not in English. It's as if the Koreans are in control of this city. Blade Runner is a 1982 film. This was long before South Korea became a wealthy and high tech country. In fact, South Korea used to have sweatshops in 1982. And the country was politically unstable, experiencing coups and oppression by the government. This was before South Korea hosted the Summer Olympics and the FIFA World Cup. I was a very young kid at that time, but I still remember that people didn't think much about Korea. I even know people who weren't even aware of that country.  It seems so out of the blue that he chose Korea as the superpower in his film.

Or could it be that the Korean was acting as a mercenary for the Japanese? I remember a lot of Japanese cultural influence in the city.

It could very well be that the Korean is a mercenary in Blade Runner (they are essentially rent-a-cops after all) as well as in Blomkamp's concept art.

South Korea (just like Israel) is basically a nation of warriors. There is compulsory military conscription for all men in South Korea. Young Korean men basically have a choice of either serving in the armed forces for two years or going to jail for two years.

In District 9 and Elysium Blomkamp had South African mercenaries. Same thing there, South Africa also used to have compulsory conscription for all white males. After it's transformation to democracy many white men found themselves without work. But one thing they all had in common was very good military training and that's how that country became infamous for it's mercenaries.

QuoteI remember a lot of Japanese cultural influence in the city.

Yes, you're quite right, it's mainly Japanese influences in the LA of 2019. During the early 80's Japan was doing very well, much like China today before the asset price bubble burst in the 90's. The joke was back then that Japan would one day own the entire USA.

But there is also lots of Chinese and Korean influences in Blade Runner if you look carefully.

This city owned utility tanker from Blade Runner for example has "Riddles" written on it in Korean. Presumably as nod to the director.

Shinawi

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jul 19, 2015, 12:38:27 PM
In District 9 and Elysium Blomkamp had South African mercenaries. Same thing there, South Africa also used to have compulsory conscription for all white males. After it's transformation to democracy many white men found themselves without work. But one thing they all had in common was very good military training and that's how that country became infamous for it's mercenaries.
Neill Blomkamp directed that part very well.

Xenomorphine

Quote from: swarm87 on Jul 19, 2015, 02:36:55 AM
i agree, this isn't the Star Wars legends EU where you can shove your fingers in your ears and just say "nope, not canon"

It is if Fox decrees it so.

Whether or not they will, is another question. As is whether it will be better than the third film. We can but hope so.

Mr. Clemens

I still maintain that Fox is gonna want to continue to sell blu-ray boxed sets with five films in there, not three.

Could be wrong of course, but it seems crazy for them to throw away revenue that A3 and AR could still generate.

Engineer

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Jul 19, 2015, 06:39:41 PM
I still maintain that Fox is gonna want to continue to sell blu-ray boxed sets with five films in there, not three.

Could be wrong of course, but it seems crazy for them to throw away revenue that A3 and AR could still generate.
I dunno man, I wouldn't put it past fox to throw them all into a box set anyway... They added prometheus to the box set even though it was supposed to be "same universe" rather than same story arc; and even further back (and even worse, imo), they threw predator 1, predator 2, avp, avp:r, and the alien quadrilogy into a box set. I'd fully expect fox to throw in the original alien quadrilogy, alien 5, prometheus, and prometheus 2 into a new box set, and maybe if we're lucky we'll get a Blu Ray menu animation that fills in any continuity errors/gaps...  (The menu thing is a joke, lol).

Xenomorphine

Yeah, even menu stuff would depend on who they hired to do them.

You can go and get sets of all the 'Superman' films, including 'Superman Returns' - which was a retcon. Different studio, sure, but the precedent is there.

If this retcons anything, it won't stop them from selling the other films.

Mr. Clemens

Ah, I did not know this. I'm not really into comic book movies, so this is my first experience with retconning.

Sure would be a dick move, though: "hey, we retconned these two movies because the majority hates 'em, but you have to buy them again if you want this set!" (with exclusive Special Features, no doubt.)  :-\

Engineer

Engineer

Yea I believe that's the kind of thing they did with the 2 box sets I mentioned too.

They included an exclusive comic from dark horse for the alien/predator/avp box set

Then if I'm not mistaken, the Blu Ray box set for alien/prometheus included a brand new deleted scene that shows the ultimate fate of Burke.

I'd have no doubt that at least one new never before seen special feature will find its way into this new, inevitable "all inclusive" alien/prometheus box set.

PS. I'm surprised there wasn't some sort of box set that included A:CM, given how hard they pushed it as canon initially... Thank god they didn't!

Xenomorphine

Technically, it was Gearbox which kept hyping that. Fox seems to see endorsing something as canon as just a cheap way to make extra sales.

Wasn't there meant to have been some kind of official endorsement of the recent novel trilogy as being canon? Something else I can't accept other than as a 'what if'.

Engineer

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jul 19, 2015, 11:46:10 PM
Technically, it was Gearbox which kept hyping that. Fox seems to see endorsing something as canon as just a cheap way to make extra sales.

Wasn't there meant to have been some kind of official endorsement of the recent novel trilogy as being canon? Something else I can't accept other than as a 'what if'.

Yea, I suppose that is a better description of how fox and gearbox handled it...

Yes, I remember hearing a lot about fox endorsing the recent novel trilogy as canon too, but that sort of stopped once A:CM was released... Or at least that's the way it seemed to me. I haven't read the books yet, but I've heard enough about them to say that I'd probably feel the same way as you about it. The first two books in the trilogy in particular just seem like too much of a stretch for me, but the third one sounds like the best conceptually out of the trilogy.

The funny thing to me is, out of all the recent additions to the alien saga - games, books, etc... - the one which held the most promise and plausibility (in my opinion) never got the "canon" endorsement from fox! That would be alien: isolation. I understand why, I just think it's funny and ironic...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed