New Alien 5 Ripley/Hicks Concept Art

Started by Darkness, Jul 16, 2015, 07:16:11 PM

Author
New Alien 5 Ripley/Hicks Concept Art (Read 39,935 times)

Darkness

Darkness

Neill Blomkamp just shared a new piece on Instagram showing Ripley and Hicks.

https://instagram.com/p/5NUtoZKhM_/

Corporal Hicks

I love Neill's comment about enjoying the project. :) Hicks looks very Biehnish there. Also the soldier has as very ODST look about him. Wonder what the faction is though...not W-Y. Maybe UPP?

Darkness

Did you notice the South Korean flag on his armour?

I wonder who the guys are behind them. Definitely not human but very different to the other alien figure Ripley was standing next to in the other artwork.

Corporal Hicks

Is it the Korean flag? Definitely feeling that that's the UPP then.

I think they're supposed to be human. Don't think they're intended as humans.

I took this concept to be egg morphing.

Darkness

They wouldn't be able to walk around if he was egg morphing.

Corporal Hicks

He isn't walking around.

Darkness

Well, he's standing. I mean, Brett and Dallas were completely immobile.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

You can't see what he's doing. He looks all gunked up past the shoulders. Definitely looks like he's symbolized in a cocoon of some fashion.

South Korea is capitalist too so I guess it isn't the UPP.

Shinawi

Shinawi

Quote from: Darkness on Jul 16, 2015, 07:28:48 PM
Did you notice the South Korean flag on his armour?
Wow! This will be the first time that Asians appear in outer space in large numbers. We saw lone Asians in the other films and t.v. series previously. That is, if we don't count the Japanese animations.

Corporal Hicks

Firefly had the Asian culture have a pretty big influence on the future.

Shinawi

Shinawi

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 16, 2015, 08:11:53 PM
Firefly had the Asian culture have a pretty big influence on the future.
Interesting. I'm surprised that I wasn't aware of these tv series. I don't see a lot of Asians in the cast list. I guess you mean just the cultural influence.

SpreadEagleBeagle

Looks like he is going for an aged Ripley and Hicks, and the power armor that supposedly Korean marine is wearing suggest that the movie still take place in an alternate future and timeline than the original one, i.e. Blomkamp is still touting the idea and concept of retconning A3 and A:R... Lame.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Seems to indicate some 'world-building' in evidence. I'm guessing Korea has been unified by the South in this future. The North Korean flag is different.

It's difficult to say whether those other two figures are a result of artistic choice or deliberately being stylised that way. It could be that they're absent of much detail just because they're meant to be random. On the other hand, they do have a slightly Engineer-esque appearance to them - although, too short to literally be interpreted as them.

Perhaps they're vat-created 'super-soldiers'? Maybe that's what Ripley is viewing - the creation of one? Perhaps they're using some of the black ooze found on the/a derelict craft in a refined form, to enhance human genetics? That could account for humanoid figures with Engineer-like facial similarities - assuming that's even what's meant to be represented on there. As I say, it could just be that they're meant to be unimportant background characters. Can't help but noticed they seem to have completely black eyes, like Engineers do, however.

Or perhaps they're cloning Engineers, themselves, taken from DNA of the original Space Jockey? Slightly modifying them on a genetic level, so that they're not as physically imposing. Would actually be a nice throw-back to 'Alien Resurrection' if they're doing it to gain access to memories stored on a genetic level!

It's a concept which has been done before. There's the great TV show, 'Space: Above And Beyond', which dealt with soldiers who had been grown in vats for a previous war, years before, with genetic modifications. There is, of course, 'Soldier'. But more relevantly, those of us who remember the 'Book Two' graphic novel, which predates those scripts, will remember that General Spears had that same concept as a part of his history: He was artificially grown and genetically enhanced to be trained, from birth, as a radically advanced soldier for the military of that time.

In regards to the Korean flag, I just remembered that the game, 'XCOM: Enemy Unknown', had soldiers wearing armour with a very small patch on the upper torso to represent the nationality of where that specific individual member of the team. It could be that the Colonial Marines or a futuristic UN-like multi-national force is intervening and that this is just the uniform's way of indicating where he hails from.

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Jul 16, 2015, 08:26:22 PM
Looks like he is going for an aged Ripley and Hicks, and the power armor that supposedly Korean marine is wearing suggest that the movie still take place in an alternate future and timeline than the original one, i.e. Blomkamp is still touting the idea and concept of retconning A3 and A:R... Lame.

Ripley/Hicks, we've talked about non-retcon possibilities for before. The new armour's existence doesn't retcon anything, though.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Darkness on Jul 16, 2015, 07:28:48 PM
I wonder who the guys are behind them. Definitely not human but very different to the other alien figure Ripley was standing next to in the other artwork.

They both look human to me. Same kind of stylisation as Ripley in the foreground.

Quote from: Corporal HicksAlso the soldier has as very ODST look about him. Wonder what the faction is though...not W-Y. Maybe UPP?

I'm also getting a Halo vibe from that armor. Don't know if it's a good thing though.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jul 16, 2015, 08:45:47 PM
Quote from: Corporal HicksAlso the soldier has as very ODST look about him. Wonder what the faction is though...not W-Y. Maybe UPP?

I'm also getting a Halo vibe from that armor. Don't know if it's a good thing though.

I kind of feel like it might be so WETA could re-use the ODST armor.

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jul 16, 2015, 08:34:43 PM
It's difficult to say whether those other two figures are a result of artistic choice or deliberately being stylised that way. It could be that they're absent of much detail just because they're meant to be random. On the other hand, they do have a slightly Engineer-esque appearance to them - although, too short to literally be interpreted as them.

Do not seen an Engineer influence in that all.  :-\

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed