Early Tsukuda Alien Varieties based on Original Kenner.

Started by windebieste, Jul 08, 2015, 11:50:53 AM

Author
Early Tsukuda Alien Varieties based on Original Kenner. (Read 2,115 times)

windebieste

I'm very interested in knowing more about the old Tsukuda Aliens.  Particularly these ones:

1984 Release.

1995 Release?

1997 Release?

I know the first one was released in 1984 and the next 2 are variations - one is black and the other is silver but I'm not 100% sure of the actual release dates. 

I'm very curious about their history.  I'm very interested in knowing what was their relationship to the original Kenner figure?  How well did these sell?  These 3 were made but were there any more figures based on the Kenner mold?  How did they get the molds?  were they originally illegal..? I've read somewhere that Kenner weren't too keen on the first one being released.  Were these things originally dodgy knock offs of the original Kenner and they came to an agreement? 

I'm very interested in knowing more about these items. 

Any links would also be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks everyone!

-Windebieste.

alienscollection.com

IIRC, the second one pictured was a Toys R Us exclusive.

Elmazalman

Quote from: windebieste on Jul 08, 2015, 11:50:53 AM
I'm very interested in knowing more about the old Tsukuda Aliens.  Particularly these ones:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v90/peterfett/6AA259A9-05E8-4579-8549-68F610389A73-1242-000001E5FEABC6A5_zps47628b0a.jpg
1984 Release.

1995 Release?

1997 Release?

I know the first one was released in 1984 and the next 2 are variations - one is black and the other is silver but I'm not 100% sure of the actual release dates. 

I'm very curious about their history.  I'm very interested in knowing what was their relationship to the original Kenner figure?  How well did these sell?  These 3 were made but were there any more figures based on the Kenner mold?  How did they get the molds?  were they originally illegal..? I've read somewhere that Kenner weren't too keen on the first one being released.  Were these things originally dodgy knock offs of the original Kenner and they came to an agreement? 

I'm very interested in knowing more about these items. 

Any links would also be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks everyone!

-Windebieste.
The same moulds look like they were used for the original Alien that was released by Halcyon back in the early 90's.

windebieste

windebieste

Exclusive only to the Japanese Toys R Us, I'm guessing. 

Ah yes, check it out.  The Halcyon does indeed look like it uses the Kenner as a base. 

Nice!  Thank you for calling this one to my attention.

EDiT:  Looks like it was a vinyl kit rather than an action figure.  Any idea when this item was published? 

-Windebieste.

windebieste

This Tsukuda has been date stamped as 1991.

How many Alien figures/models  did this company actually make based on the Kenner original? 

So far, I have found versions released in 1984, 1991(this one), 1995 and 1997...

-Windebieste.

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

Quote from: windebieste on Jul 08, 2015, 11:17:49 PM

Ah yes, check it out.  The Halcyon does indeed look like it uses the Kenner as a base. 

http://idata.over-blog.com/1/97/92/79/marque-HALCYON/warrior-hal01-1-5.jpg

EDiT:  Looks like it was a vinyl kit rather than an action figure.  Any idea when this item was published? 

-Windebieste.
The Halcyon Alien was available in most hobby stores here in Australia as well.1991/1992 sounds about right,I used to have two of them-one in mint condition,the other opened for display.The instruction sheet gives the option of either using glue and paint to build the figure as a model or to soften the vinyl in hot/warm water and assemble dry as an action figure.

windebieste

Thanks for that information. 

I remember seeing an Halcyon Alien in Minotaur Books years ago when they had their store on Swanston st.  I worked just around the corner from them back in the day and would visit every Friday.  Payday.  I spent so much of my income in that shop during my 2 years in that job I but never picked up one of those.

Right now I'm chasing up information about the 1991 Tsukuda complete model (figure).  Of particular interest is the model/part no.  If you or anyone can help me out that would be great.

-Windebieste.

Elmazalman

Sorry,i know next to nothing of the Tsukuda Alien.Your best bet is to visit a forum which deals with these types of collectibles.

windebieste

Ya.  It's a difficult item to chase up any information on. 

No one seems to know anything about it/them except that they exist.   The Tsukuda Aliens are almost Urban Myth except they're not.  lol.

Thanks all the same.

-Windebieste.

windebieste

windebieste

OK.  Got almost all the Tsukuda stuff understood now.  I'm just curious about the part no. on the 1991 release they made.  Once I know that, I'm all set on understanding the ol' Tsukuda stuff.

Also, if anyone can help, I'd like to know if there was a part no. for  the Funko SDCC blind egg 'Deep Space' exclusives?  Are all the numbers on the bottom of the eggs the same?  Can this be relied upon as a part no.?   The one I have has the no. A238 stamped on the bottom of it.  is this the part no. or some other identifier?

Finally, Was the Funko ReAction SDCC exclusive egg chamber play set based on any of the old never released Kenner designs or was it freshly designed from scratch more recently?

Thank you for helping me out here.

-Windebieste.

windebieste

Looks like the Tsukuda 1991 release never existed.  I got my wires crossed  and probably got confused by the 1991 Halcyon kit somewhere along the way. 

...and yes, I've since been able to determine that A328 is the part number for the egg itself, the eight individual figures themselves don't have any part no.s. 

I've also since found out that the SDCC 2014 egg chamber play set was designed by Super7-Funko specifically for the convention and other than the retro design of the box is not an older and previously unreleased Kenner item.  Its concept does harken back to older 'Star Wars' play sets but is itself an original release not dating back to the late 1970's.  It just looks that way.

-Windebieste.

bobcunk

Quote from: windebieste on Jul 08, 2015, 11:17:49 PM

http://idata.over-blog.com/1/97/92/79/marque-HALCYON/warrior-hal01-1-5.jpg

-Windebieste.

I remember in the late 90s the my hobbyshop had all of the Halcyon ones, There  even was a face hugger on the ceiling. AT the time they were around 50 or 60 each.

windebieste

Oh yeah.  Halcyon did have quite the range.  I've done a lot of research on their Kenner based item and have a thorough grasp on its history now.  That goes for all the weird Tsukuda stuff as well.  That old mould was pimped about several times between 1984 and 1987.

Here's my findings regarding dates and publishing details on the relevant items:

•   1984, Tsukuda Hobby, Alien Jumbo Figure Series. No. 2, No. JF-02-6000

•   1991, Halcyon, Alien vinyl kit, No. HT01

•   1995, Tsukuda Hobby, Alien PVC complete model, No. SVM-29-7000

•   1997, Tsukuda Hobby, Alien PVC Complete model, No. SVM-29S-8500

-Windebieste.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed