Arnold Schwarzenegger Has Not Been Contacted About Predator 4

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jun 30, 2015, 12:11:44 PM

Author
Arnold Schwarzenegger Has Not Been Contacted About Predator 4 (Read 41,143 times)

Engineer

I think you missed the point I was trying to make... Yes, they appear as indistinguishable blobs to us, because we aren't adapted to see in the infrared light spectrum. When used in biometrics, computers have to make that distinction for us, since we can't. However, that's how the predator is adapted to see, so I'm sure it can pick out individuals just fine. If a predator were to see the world the way we do, I'm sure they'd say "how can you tell one person from the next? They all look like blobs!!"

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Engineer on Jul 03, 2015, 07:49:25 PM
I think you missed the point I was trying to make... Yes, they appear as indistinguishable blobs to us, because we aren't adapted to see in the infrared light spectrum. When used in biometrics, computers have to make that distinction for us, since we can't. However, that's how the predator is adapted to see, so I'm sure it can pick out individuals just fine. If a predator were to see the world the way we do, I'm sure they'd say "how can you tell one person from the next? They all look like blobs!!"

That's because this is exactly what they are. There was no visual data for a computer to differentiate.

And none of that gets around the problem of him having to be pin-pointed from miles away, among millions of other humanoid signatures, both in and out of different buildings types.

Heat-vision is great for finding targets in general. That suits Predators. What doesn't suit Predators is going on stalker-like detective missions. They're opportunists - and generally quite impatient ones, at that. Heat-vision is fine for what they need, which is looking around their immediate location and finding targets of opportunity.

Besides which, Harrigan really didn't do very much which would have justified them spending days and days and days, stalking around him, yet not bothering to kill. So far as they were concerned, he rushed a barricade and shot a couple of people - in an already massive firefight.

I can see how, in the context of the film, Keyes might have made the assumption Harrigan was the 'lion', but when you look at it from the Predators' perspective? Harrigan's not all that desirable a trophy. He's got a reputation, sure, but that wouldn't be something the Predators are aware of.

overthere

I have this scene in my head where Dutch sees a Predator for whatever reasons and circumstances and the Predator recognizes him and spares him or even shows respect. Dutch never got the treatment Harrigan got, they owe him. Predators wouldn't hunt Dutch again, they'd celebrate him.

Picture this, Predator is hunting again, humans capture the Predator and start examining him while he's all tied up. They call Dutch to verify that's the creature he encountered and while he's at the facility, the Predator escapes and their paths cross. Predator examines him, figures who he is and just leaves him alone, but kills everyone else.

Kel G 426

The pov shots can't be taken too literally.  They're mostly meant to just look cool and provide a feeling of paranoia.   Ooooh, something is watching them!  If you're wondering how predators move about given just what we see on film, then you're overthinking it.

The creature in Predator 2 could obviously identify individuals and stalk them without much effort.  He observed Harry during the opening shootout and it probably wasn't the first time he noticed him.  He followed Harry to the cemetery and left Danny's necklace to taunt him.  He followed him to the meeting with King Willie and subsequently killed the voodoo leader.  All this proves that he can not only find and identify individuals, but he understands their status and relationships.

It wouldn't take much "detective" work to find Harry either; just stake out the office where he reports for work every day.

The Predator clearly saw Harry as his lion.  The film wanted us to know that.

Engineer

Yes, "too literal" is exactly what I was trying to say...

... Here's another way to explain it. I'm fond of analogies, and I think this is the best analogy for this; think about it like a language. You can have multiple languages and some translate back and forth really well, and some don't translate well at all with a lot of the core message being changed or lost. Vision is the same way. When you look at an image in Infra red or ultraviolet or something, you're not actually seeing in that spectrum, you're seeing a translation of it into the visual light spectrum. Thermal vision or infra red is one of those things that does not translate very well to the visual light spectrum and a lot of the details get lost. As cool as the predator point of view is to see, the truth is that's NOT what the world actually looks like to the predator and you'll never actually know what it's like to see in infra red.

Pin pointing a target from far away really isn't a problem either. We can do it. US military pin points targets in the middle of the desert in Afghanistan with some effort; why wouldn't a technologically advanced species like the predator be able to? In fact, it should be easier for them since they see in infra red and every organism would give off a heat signature as unique as a finger print.

One last comment about their ability to distinguish individuals. The ability build a star ship must take some cooperation among individuals. If they can tell each other apart visually or otherwise, why not us humans? We can clearly see them cooperating with each other and identifying one another as individuals at the end of predator 2. Otherwise, how would they know who was the clan leader? How would they know to stand back and watch the "city hunter" duke it out with harrigan? Or how would they have know it was harrigan, the "city hunter's" lion, and not some other random intruder?

If you still don't buy this, then I leave you with one last argument. To quote Keyes: it's "a f@*#%$g ALIEN!" That's probably the most common argument used on these forums, and borderlines on cliche at this point, plus it's a lazy explanation, but there you have it... :-)

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Kelgaard on Jul 04, 2015, 02:46:52 PM
The pov shots can't be taken too literally.  They're mostly meant to just look cool and provide a feeling of paranoia.   Ooooh, something is watching them!  If you're wondering how predators move about given just what we see on film, then you're overthinking it.

They should be taken literally, IMO. In the same way as the HUD from the 'Terminator' films should be. That's the whole point of showing it. We see the exact same symbology and voice analysis the Predator does. It's designed by the film-makers to be literal.

QuoteThe creature in Predator 2 could obviously identify individuals and stalk them without much effort.  He observed Harry during the opening shootout and it probably wasn't the first time he noticed him.  He followed Harry to the cemetery and left Danny's necklace to taunt him.  He followed him to the meeting with King Willie and subsequently killed the voodoo leader.  All this proves that he can not only find and identify individuals, but he understands their status and relationships.

But this is my point. It becomes a circular argument in the absence of any way for it to have happened. The Predators are tracking Harrigan and anyone he knows because... They're doing it.

It's like if a character suddenly turned up at the bottom of the sea without any way to have got there. OK, so the character's there. The writers clearly want us to assume that. But how did the character get there? And if it was impossible, the potential of them being a twin/clone/hologram/whatever becomes just as valid - if not more so.

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

It's a very superficial film, but the moment we try to apply the whole Occam's Razor principle, it becomes more likely that the run-ins have to be coincidental, not less.

I know that's not the intent of the writers, but as I can't see any way for the Predator(s) to have been tracking Harrigan, much less also his friends...

QuoteIt wouldn't take much "detective" work to find Harry either; just stake out the office where he reports for work every day.

But that's not how it would work. The moment he gets in a vehicle with other people (as he did to visit the drug baron), they lose track. Hell, every time he goes into a public lavatory, they lose track! There are a lot of people who are going into that police station, every single minute. Any time he goes into somewhere like that, their heat-tracking system is screwed - and that's assuming every building he goes into only has one exit.

Anyone coming out of the vehicle/building he's just gone into, of the same general proportions, could be him, unless you're way up close and personal. That problem is magnified hugely when you also realise the Predator isn't monitoring him 24 hours a day - most of the time it's nowhere near his physical locations. It's not tracking him.

QuoteThe Predator clearly saw Harry as his lion.  The film wanted us to know that.

Agreed. The problem is, they don't have any obvious way for them to have tracked him.

Nor did it really show him doing anything particularly worthy of needing to be stalked over many long days... Even El Scorpio showed a bit more ferocity than he did. :)

Quote from: Engineer on Jul 04, 2015, 03:31:02 PM
Yes, "too literal" is exactly what I was trying to say...

... Here's another way to explain it. I'm fond of analogies, and I think this is the best analogy for this; think about it like a language. You can have multiple languages and some translate back and forth really well, and some don't translate well at all with a lot of the core message being changed or lost. Vision is the same way. When you look at an image in Infra red or ultraviolet or something, you're not actually seeing in that spectrum, you're seeing a translation of it into the visual light spectrum. Thermal vision or infra red is one of those things that does not translate very well to the visual light spectrum and a lot of the details get lost. As cool as the predator point of view is to see, the truth is that's NOT what the world actually looks like to the predator and you'll never actually know what it's like to see in infra red.

We're seeing whatever they see. That's the point. Even if you're saying there might be slightly different colours, the bottom line is that they don't have enough detail for adequate facial recognition - especially over miles and miles of city.

Thermal is great for locating hot things, in general. Not so great for identifying and verifying individual human beings at excessively long range. Hopelessly useless if you're trying to figure out which train someone is on, down to the exact carriage.

QuotePin pointing a target from far away really isn't a problem either. We can do it. US military pin points targets in the middle of the desert in Afghanistan with some effort; why wouldn't a technologically advanced species like the predator be able to? In fact, it should be easier for them since they see in infra red and every organism would give off a heat signature as unique as a finger print.

The military isn't relying on thermal for the same situation as locating and tracking Harrigan and his few associates. They use a whole lot of methods on top of it.

If there was some kind of signal location device showing up on their HUD, that would at least be something, but there isn't. Even when they have him in view, it's not like the internal computer is specifically highlighting him, Terminator-style, as a priority target.

QuoteOne last comment about their ability to distinguish individuals. The ability build a star ship must take some cooperation among individuals. If they can tell each other apart visually or otherwise, why not us humans? We can clearly see them cooperating with each other and identifying one another as individuals at the end of predator 2. Otherwise, how would they know who was the clan leader? How would they know to stand back and watch the "city hunter" duke it out with harrigan? Or how would they have know it was harrigan, the "city hunter's" lion, and not some other random intruder?

We never saw Predators in one another's HUDs calmly interacting with one another. It's quite possible there could be all sorts of things going on when they do. All we can go by is Harrigan's ridiculously generic blob of heat colour.

Also, they don't have to figure out where one another are over miles of cities. :) They can go up to one another at close range. That isn't an option when they're trying to track Harrigan/Jerry/whoever at an incredibly long range.

QuoteIf you still don't buy this, then I leave you with one last argument. To quote Keyes: it's "a f@*#%$g ALIEN!" That's probably the most common argument used on these forums, and borderlines on cliche at this point, plus it's a lazy explanation, but there you have it... :-)

Well, sure! It's best regarded as a plot-hole, really. It can be debated, but never satisfactorily, because it breaks down when you try to analyse it, like the 'Alien 3' egg.

Engineer

Well, I guess this is the solution you're looking for then:

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

-Arthur C. Clark

Xenomorphine

HuDaFuK

I don't see how it's lazy writing at all. The Predator has some way of tracking people. Nothing inherently impossible about that.

Magegg

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jul 05, 2015, 06:01:49 PM
I don't see how it's lazy writing at all. The Predator has some way of tracking people. Nothing inherently impossible about that.
Sorry I wrote this in the wrong thread :P

worldmaker

I'm drafting a spec. script, that will probably never see light of day to reboot with Arnie leading a new team to hunt Predators and open the potential for a new "Predator Wars" TV/movie series.  But who's listening to a writer from England?

Read the pages and decide for yourself here: 

http://www.sterlingsecure.co.uk/norfilms/Films/Predator%20Hunt/index.shtml

Engineer

Lol. If "magical predators" is what you took from that, then sure, they're magical. :-)

Corporal Hicks

The film makes it quite clear that the Predator is tracking Harrigan and so it's quite obvious that they're able to distinguish those blobs of heat. There are more perceptions than just visual and it's quite clear that Predator technology is incredibly advanced. It doesn't take a leap in logic to assume they're capable of distinguishing individuals in some fashion.

overthere

In Predators, people aren't indistinguishable colored blobs. Their faces are clearly seen, just colored differently (which I think looks dumb, but that's another point)

DUB1

Another thing is, the thermal POV scenes in the first two movies were shot with infrared cameras of the 80s/90s. Do people really think the Predator's vision was gonna look any better than what the cameras of the past allowed?

I know it's not a in-universe explanation, but it does explain why the the Predator's vision appeared shitty for some people. Personally, I didn't have such a problem telling people apart.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed