Artwork for Director Vincenzo Natali's Predator 3 Pitch

Started by DarthJoker45, Jun 03, 2015, 11:29:02 PM

Author
Artwork for Director Vincenzo Natali's Predator 3 Pitch (Read 27,991 times)

Weylan

Definitely not very good, strongly dislike most of it...the female Predator is decent but the unused concept for the female which was to appear in PREDATORS is far superior.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: The Other Mr. Runner on Jun 04, 2015, 11:21:47 PM
Love that design, too bad the in-game model didn't stand up.

I thought the in-game model looked great. Not too dissimilar to the concept.

Quote from: Weylan on Jun 05, 2015, 01:30:15 AM
the female Predator is decent but the unused concept for the female which was to appear in PREDATORS is far superior.

Definitely disagree with you there. I'll take my female Predators without boobs.  :)

Weylan

@Corporal Hicks,

Yeah personally I'd prefer female Predators with boobs much, much more than without, just think they look way better with them...I know the miniatures AvP game also depicts a female Predator with boobs :P

Although I completely respect your opinion :)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I prefer them not being too humanized. My own take, of course. It makes me like that design even more.

So Vincenzo has said there wasn't any story to go with his pitch. It was more to do with the visual style.

PRJ_since1990

Well that's def interesting but I agree with Hicks... not being too humanized is a good thing. The style of the art has a very Japanese-Anime-Matrix feel to it. However, I must voice that I do prefer female Predator with boobs. The female characteristics draw a deeper distinction with the added breasts rather than not.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: PRJ_since1990 on Jun 05, 2015, 02:54:20 PM
Well that's def interesting but I agree with Hicks... not being too humanized is a good thing. The style of the art has a very Japanese-Anime-Matrix feel to it. However, I must voice that I do prefer female Predator with boobs. The female characteristics draw a deeper distinction with the added breasts rather than not.

I'd rather they find another way to visualize the difference. Something less human.

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jun 05, 2015, 11:10:41 AM
I prefer them not being too humanized. My own take, of course. It makes me like that design even more.

So Vincenzo has said there wasn't any story to go with his pitch. It was more to do with the visual style.

To be fair, they are already very humanized.

Look at their body shape, hell, they even got five fingered hands shaped just like a human's. Even apes can't use their thumbs the way humans and Predators do, not as dexterous.

Plus the way they hunt for sport is very humanized, and collecting heads as trophies? Name me another animal that does this (out of curiosity) besides a human.

They use spears, so do humans, they use blades, so do humans, they use ranged weapons, so do humans, they wear some form of clothing, so do humans. See what I mean? I don't really get this huge fear of humanizing the Predators. But I do however agree with you on keeping them a bit different from us and not literal Klingons.

I just LOVE the idea that the Predators despite being very similar to us are also incredibly alien. Their language alone is literally inimitable for our vocal cords to mimic and yet they themselves have no issues with mimicking our own language.

Their culture is quite alien and unique. How these clans are able to be space faring and still stick to barbaric traditions. It places them apart from the "we come for your resources" or "take me to your leader" kind of alien.

The Engineers are way more humanized than the Predators and that doesn't change the fact that they themselves are a very alien creature.

I respect your opinion, mate. Nothing wrong with your way of imagining the Predators. I just don't get this usual "they are being humanized" train of thought. In a way, AvP did show they "taught humans how to build", maybe it's the other way around and humans are too Predatorized. Let's see who else hunts for sport besides humans and Predators in this franchise. I don't see any Engineers or Arcturians collecting no heads.  :P

And on the topic of bewbs. I don't mind female Predators having them. It doesn't really stop their females from being badasses. The new Tabletop figures of female Predators look pretty neat. I also like how apparently Dachande was able to tell Machiko Noguchi was female due to the two protrusions on her chest similar to the females of his race.

Hell, I prefer them to have breasts over the Hish's gender swapping ability.

Now, on the topic of the thread. The artwork looks a bit too stylish. Not bad though. I like how the last picture looks a bit as if the Predator is wearing an Engineer like bio-suit, that's what it reminded me of.

Born Of Cold Light

Quote from: DarthJoker45 on Jun 03, 2015, 11:29:02 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Q7HRcd6.jpg

This picture reminds me of those old school t-shirts where you see the green aliens with baggy jeans and white t-shirts flashing gang signs.

Doggo33

I really hope Shane Black's sequel and any others are proper sequels, as opposed to the cash-in 'Terminator Genisys' nonsense (not that I've seen that. I'm just predicting from the trailer). As in, don't cpy any one-liners, other than "You're/you are one ugly mother f**ker", as that's in all of them and in fact should be in a sequel. And just don't try and be clever generally with referencing; just make a sequel.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jun 05, 2015, 07:11:55 AMDefinitely disagree with you there. I'll take my female Predators without boobs.  :)

Yeah, the "d-cup look" just seems like such a childish and unimaginative way of doing it.

Neat artwork. As someone who's fascinated by all the Alien/Predator scripts that never got made (even the crappy ones), I'd be really keen on finding out more about the substance of this film.

Corporal Hicks

There wasn't any unfortunately.

Njm1983

Perhaps feminizing the shape of the body without adding breasts would suit everyone's tastes. It's hard to make something alien and still have it identifiable at the same time. The things we recognize as feminine traits would humanize too much. So you go and create off the wall changes that aren't what we are used to, people would have trouble identifying it a female....there would be a need to have dialogue in film to clarify that it's a female.

The artwork is very stylized and bland for my taste. I get a lot of the roswell grey alien combined with predator when I look at the images.

happypred

Interesting but not my cup of tea

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Njm1983 on Jun 21, 2015, 12:40:43 AM
The things we recognize as feminine traits would humanize too much. So you go and create off the wall changes that aren't what we are used to, people would have trouble identifying it a female....there would be a need to have dialogue in film to clarify that it's a female.

Not unless it somehow impacted upon the story.

Corporal Hicks

Vincenzo recently appeared on Best Movies Never Made to talk about his work on High Rise, but he was also asked about his Predators pitch.

QuoteWell Predator...that was right after Splice. And so I think people were interested in anything that had a creature in it, like I was on a list. And Predators, which I guess famously began as a script that Robert Rodrigquez had written many years before and was resurrected at Fox...When I was called into pitch, they basically said "we're not using that." There was nothing. There was no script. There was only the notion that this was going to take place on a Predator planet, or another planet. And there was kind of – I think there was a Dangerous Game aspect to it with humans being hunted by Predators.

And that was literally all that was being presented to me and I just had to go in, and I met with Robert Rodriquez and some executives – separately – and I just did a whole bunch of drawings. I just did drawings.  It was actually a really fun project to pitch on because there was nothing...I could just let my imagination go wild. Like whatever crazy Predator image was conjured into my feeble mind I could immediately draw it and present it to them and I wasn't having to adhere to anything they were doing.

And the podcast also shared some different artwork that was done for it.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/vincenzo-natalis-high-rise-part-2/id1450737048?i=1000484584065

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed