1 (5.6%)
World War 2
9 (50%)
4 (22.2%)
Other
4 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author
Past settings for future Predator movies (Read 5,416 times)

DUB1

One thing about a WW2 setting that worries me is a potential alliance between the allies and the nazis against the Predator. People think a Human-Predator alliance is bad, what about the former? I would so hate for nazis to be portrayed as morally superior to the Predators just because they're human like the allies.

I think they should instead make it a triple threat match. No alliances, just the Predator, the allies and the nazis killing one another.

Anyway, I agree with Crazy Shrimp about the Predator killing Hitler.

pred169

Quote from: DUB1 on May 27, 2015, 12:37:07 PM
One thing about a WW2 setting that worries me is a potential alliance between the allies and the nazis against the Predator. People think a Human-Predator alliance is bad, what about the former? I would so hate for nazis to be portrayed as morally superior to the Predators just because they're human like the allies.

I think they should instead make it a triple threat match. No alliances, just the Predator, the allies and the nazis killing one another.

Anyway, I agree with Crazy Shrimp about the Predator killing Hitler.
They could tie all the Nazi experimentation into it. Predators doing a little recon to see just how far humans are in genetic and weaponized research. That could also explain the disappearance of Joseph mangela  (not really sure on the spelling of his name) the Nazi scientists in charge of genetic research. He's the one that tried separating conjoined twins and conjoining separate people. Also tried cross breeding as well as many other twisted ideas. It's always been said the guy was way ahead of his time. Maybe that's because he saw something he wasn't suppose to. I.e. a predator.
But I do agree with DUB1.   No alliances.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: DUB1 on May 27, 2015, 12:37:07 PMOne thing about a WW2 setting that worries me is a potential alliance between the allies and the nazis against the Predator.

So make the alliance between the Allies and your average Joe German Wermacht soldier. Not all Germans were Nazis, you know.

pred169

Quote from: HuDaFuK on May 27, 2015, 01:09:50 PM
Quote from: DUB1 on May 27, 2015, 12:37:07 PMOne thing about a WW2 setting that worries me is a potential alliance between the allies and the nazis against the Predator.

So make the alliance between the Allies and your average Joe German Wermacht soldier. Not all Germans were Nazis, you know.
This is true not all Germans were Nazis. But the emphasis of the war was the Nazi party's rise to power and attempt at  worldwide domination. And with emotions running as deep as they were back then. Trying to distinguish a German soldier from a Nazi soldier would have been a moot point. Not to discount your comment but at that time if I were looking across the field at soldiers carrying 8mm mausers, hk93, and mg42 I'm not stopping to see if he has a small red arm band on. So the idea of an allegiance between these two super powers is a bit far fetched. Even under the circumstances of predators.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: HuDaFuK on May 27, 2015, 01:09:50 PM

Thanks for posting that. I was trying to think how to do so without causing a fuss. Indeed - I'd see nothing wrong with an Alliance between foot soldiers, they weren't all Nazi's. I can't remember which World War it was but we've all heard the stories of the Christmas football games and etc.

RakaiThwei

I pick feudal Japan. So much potential there..

Corporal Hicks

I suppose that setting would be quite appealing for the Yautja fans!  :)

pred169

The time of the Mongolian empire with genghis khan

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 27, 2015, 02:11:31 PMThanks for posting that. I was trying to think how to do so without causing a fuss. Indeed - I'd see nothing wrong with an Alliance between foot soldiers, they weren't all Nazi's.

It kinda annoys me when people - often Americans (although I mean no disrespect saying that, it's just an observation) - paint every single person from Germany during that period with the Nazi brush. It's kind of a pet peeve. Sure, the Nazis were indefensibly vile, but most Germans simply weren't Nazis, they were just people.

I always think of that great scene in Band of Brothers where one of the American paratroopers starts taking the piss out of some German POWs, only to find one of them literally grew up in the same town as him. They sit down and talk and basically get along great. It's a really fascinating scene that highlights something a lot of people seem not to think about.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 27, 2015, 02:11:31 PMI can't remember which World War it was but we've all heard the stories of the Christmas football games and etc.

That would be the First.

pred169

How about 1888 london. What's this....jack the ripper bleeds green?!

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 27, 2015, 03:22:17 PM

It would be but I am also something of a martial arts fan. I have an affinity for the Japanese sword arts.

I would love to see a Predator utilizing some martial skill with a sword. And after seeing Dark Ages handle the sword fighting, I would like to see something similarly done for a Predator movie set in feudal Japan. Sure PREDATORS did a sword fight but.. I felt it was... not handled very well and came off as a bit... anime-ish in regards to the finish of that fight.

pred169

Quote from: RakaiThwei on May 27, 2015, 03:31:26 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 27, 2015, 03:22:17 PM

It would be but I am also something of a martial arts fan. I have an affinity for the Japanese sword arts.

I would love to see a Predator utilizing some martial skill with a sword. And after seeing Dark Ages handle the sword fighting, I would like to see something similarly done for a Predator movie set in feudal Japan. Sure PREDATORS did a sword fight but.. I felt it was... not handled very well and came off as a bit... anime-ish in regards to the finish of that fight.
Not to mention in predators he was yakuza...not samurai. I know yakuza are very deadly and study martial arts but samurai have a way with a blade that is just.... as rakai thwei put it.... an art. Seeing a true samurai master pitted against a predator would be an epic battle. Or even Japanese ninja. Shurikens, katanas, crossbows, and flying people hidden wires..... what's not to love.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: pred169 on May 27, 2015, 04:21:04 PM
Not to mention in predators he was yakuza...not samurai.

Actually, the Yakuza do have Samurai roots. The first Yakuza generations were actually samurai, likely ronin who more or less banded together and worked to protect the Japanese from harassment from Western peoples. Then they started to become more gang like during the World War II era, acquiring weapons from allied nations weapons stock, and their own personal stock.

So... TECHNICALLY, we've seen Samurai vs Predator before. I just think it could've been handled a lot differently.

pred169

pred169

Quote from: RakaiThwei on May 27, 2015, 08:01:02 PM
Quote from: pred169 on May 27, 2015, 04:21:04 PM
Not to mention in predators he was yakuza...not samurai.

Actually, the Yakuza do have Samurai roots. The first Yakuza generations were actually samurai, likely ronin who more or less banded together and worked to protect the Japanese from harassment from Western peoples. Then they started to become more gang like during the World War II era, acquiring weapons from allied nations weapons stock, and their own personal stock.

So... TECHNICALLY, we've seen Samurai vs Predator before. I just think it could've been handled a lot differently.

I Agree on their roots being samurai. But as you've said yourself. That was some time ago. And over time the group slowly began to become obsessed with greed and break away from ancient traditions becoming more modern. So being that he was current day yakuza his standards for perfection would not be as high as say a samurai in feudal Japan. Back when samurai were the pillars of their communities and, short of the feudal lord, were the most respected members of  said communities. They lived and died by the sword and devoted their lives and every bit of their being to that code and would waiver for nothing. That being said I'm sure we can both agree that hondo was in no way samurai. So TECHNICALLY we haven't seen samurai vs. Predator before.
Something being reminiscent of samurai does not make it samurai.

That's like saying iphones are androidISH...they operate similarly and iOS is based on an early version of android but it's not android.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: RakaiThwei on May 27, 2015, 08:01:02 PM

As much as I enjoy the film, I do agree there. It would be nice to see a fight in full.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed