AvPGalaxy Interviews Chris Sebela

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 05, 2015, 07:12:06 AM

Author
AvPGalaxy Interviews Chris Sebela (Read 4,888 times)

Corporal Hicks

The last writer to touch an Aliens vs. Predator comic was none other than Randy Stradley, the very man responsible for starting the license off.  In Aliens vs Predator – Three World War, Stradley wrapped up the current story-arc and the story of Machiko Noguchi. The series ran from January 2010 to September 2010. And that was it. Until Dark Horse started its Fire and Stone series and Chris Sebela stepped up to the plate to write the first Aliens vs Predator comic in nearly 5 years.

Having spoken to some of his fellow partners-in-crime – Paul Tobin and Chris Roberson – for the Fire and Stone series, we hunted Chris Sebela down to ask him some questions on his work for Dark Horse’s Aliens vs Predator – Fire and Stone.

Aliens vs Predator Galaxy – Were you also using these “lesser aliens” for AvP? I remember some earlier cover art depicting the Deacons from Prometheus. Was the entire series using the Deacons? 

Chris Sebela – Yeah, initially we were using Deacons and sort of tracing their evolution into full-on xenomorphs, using the Deacon we see at the end of Prometheus, but that hewed too close to what they were talking about for Prometheus 2, which makes sense. But like I said, that pushed us to come up with a new angle and that gave us the freedom to use as many xenos as we wanted without having to trace any lineage or anything, so I think it was a decision that was for the best in the end.”

Early cover art for Aliens vs. Predator - Fire and Stone depicted Deacon style creatures that were later replaced with Aliens in the final release. Farzad Vrahramyan Shares New Alien 5 Concept Art!

Early cover art for Aliens vs. Predator – Fire and Stone depicted Deacon style creatures that were later replaced with Aliens in the final release.

Chris talks about how he got into comic writing, his first encounter with the Alien series, the AvP games and a lot of talk about Elden amongst much more. Be sure to check out the interview in its entirety! And if you haven’t already, go back and check out our interviews with Paul Tobin and Chris Roberson as well!

Named

Named

Thanks for the interview. Looking forward to one from Joshua Williamson as well.

Corporal Hicks

Nothing with Joshua currently in the works I'm afraid.

Xenomorphine

"...but that hewed too close to what they were talking about for 'Prometheus 2'..."

Note-worthy unintentional revelation.

Corporal Hicks

Indeed. I think they're trying to employ some misdirection again - http://www.avpgalaxy.net/2014/11/19/no-gods-dragons-prometheus-2/

Considering all the creature teasing and the mess of the relationship they made in Prometheus, it'd be nice if that was the way they take 2.

Named

Named

´´Nothing with Joshua currently in the works I'm afraid.´´. Don´t be afraid and start working on something with Joshua ;D

The Alien Predator

Thanks for posting my question, Hicks!

That was a really fun interview to read. I have been looking forward to it for quite some time.

Corporal Hicks

Not a problem, my friend.  :)

Yeah, it was another really fun one. Really like this interview too.

Ultramorph

Nice interview, Hicks! Sebela seems like a cool guy.

I like the original idea of showing the Deacons evolving into traditional xenos. I was very surprised to learn that it wasn't Fox that kept Elden away from the Engineers.

Already can't wait for the sequel.

The Alien Predator

It's also interesting to learn that "constructs" like Elden are "lesser" and not Terminator-esque where it's a cybernetic organism with a machine endoskeleton and covered by living tissue.

But something with machine components and shaped like a "man" yet has DNA of pigs and dogs mixed in to make it more obedient.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Ultramorph on May 05, 2015, 09:54:27 PM
Nice interview, Hicks! Sebela seems like a cool guy.

Thanks.  :) Completely agree.

QuoteI like the original idea of showing the Deacons evolving into traditional xenos.

Did you ever read Spaiht's original script? The intent was to show a proto-version of the Aliens and then the version we know, showing their "evolution". Prometheus retained a lot of those kind of design ethoses but none of the narrative relation (one of my major gripes with the film). So it'd certainly be nice if Fox attempted to clear that up for the sequel.

QuoteI was very surprised to learn that it wasn't Fox that kept Elden away from the Engineers.

I guess they were setting up their own sequels with that kind of thing.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed