Has AvPR improved wih age?

Started by Perfect-Organism, Mar 25, 2015, 03:59:06 PM

Author
Has AvPR improved wih age? (Read 81,805 times)

Randomizer

Randomizer

No. I don't have the patience to watch it again but still I can't throw it away. Just like a disease.  :laugh:

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

I think the real horror of any chest-bursting scene is in knowing the person who is having it happen to them.  The drawn-out waiting game adds to the horror.  When u see an infected person talking with others, yet fully oblivious to what is about to happen, that person is somehow simultaneously alive and dead.  Getting to know them better, builds our empathy and thus also our horror rises.  This is what made Kane's death so poignant.  (That and the fact that it was the first of its kind.). In the case of AVP and AVPR, there was no emotional growth to any of the people infected during the film.  So it wasn't horror.  It was just gratuitous gore.

I think Alien fans aren't really into the gore.  I think somehow we place ourselves in the shoes of the victims and "appreciate" the impossible horror of knowing what is about to happen.  The final moments before the actual gore.  That's where your real story is.  AVPR totally missed this...

happypred

happypred

Still better than AvP 2004

Nightmare Asylum

AVP is infinitely better than AVPR.

predxeno

predxeno

Wow, I was going to post this exact thread, but you beat me to the punch, Perfect-Organism.  I just rewatched AVPR after over a year's absence of it and while I was initially afraid that I wouldn't like the film as much as I did before, I discovered to my delight that it still provides great entertainment value, at least for me. ;)  Tbh, I always suspected that the reason I liked AVPR while no one else did was because of my affinity to the EU of the AVP franchise.  AVPR seems to share a lot in common with the comic books from Dark Horse so watching the film was like watching a motion capture of another comic book story. 

Interestingly enough, I also felt like I could connect with many of the characters in the film, despite everybody's statements that all the characters were flat.  When the film first came out I was 17 and I could really relate to Rick's character since he and I were about the same age.  I also lived in what some could call a "hostile family" so I kind of grew on the idea of a protective older brother to help out when my onscreen movie avatar, Rick, got in trouble.  I also loved the Ripley-Newt dynamic from Aliens and was so distraught when it ended in Alien 3, therefore when their modern day incarnation personified in the Kelly-Molly duo appeared, it also helped me love AVPR.  These characters weren't cardboard stand-ins to me, like they were to everyone else, but they were people I kind of wished I could have been around during that age.

Quote from: Scree on Mar 26, 2015, 08:28:07 AM
Yes. I can still watch AVPR and have a great time. I love the Predalien. It's a mean and frightening looking monster and didn't lose any of it's greatness. Wolf is still the best Predator, ever. Coming to earth to clean up the Alien infestation and wiping out every human that comes in his way. Even Miss Yutani appears at the end which is really cool. So yes, this movie is getting better and better. The only Alien related movie I like less and less is Prometheus. What a worthless piece of trash. Please go away, Prometheus.

I agree, Prometheus never should have been included in the AVP or Alien franchise.  While I appreciate what Prometheus tried to do, I felt it ventured too far from what Alien was supposed to be and would have been better suited as its own separate franchise.  Despite the fact that both AVP films flopped at the box office, they do provide a classic AVP vibe that really can't be replaced by whatever fancy spinoff/publicity stunt Ridley Scott can come up with.

Quote from: Russ on Mar 27, 2015, 09:58:09 AM
I keep meaning to rewatch it; I've defended it in the past because I get what they were trying to do, but it poorly executed. I really must buy the Blu-Ray, I've read numerous times on here that it's a far better experience than the DVD because you can actually see what's going on.

That's true, but there was some sloppy editing in the Blu-Ray cut and Jesse's death in the Blu-Ray's unrated cut is the same as the theatrical; the DVD has the extended, gorier death.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

I think AvPR is a pretty cool guy. Eh kills aleins and doesnt afraid of anything.

Son Of Kane

Son Of Kane

I'd rather Prometheus expand tje franchise than AVP/AVPR.

happypred

happypred

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Mar 28, 2015, 03:09:21 AM
AVP is infinitely better than AVPR.

In my opinion...

AvP-R is so bad it's good.

AvP is just bad.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: whiterabbit on Mar 28, 2015, 06:04:56 AM
I think AvPR is a pretty cool guy. Eh kills aleins and doesnt afraid of anything.

Que? ???

happypred

happypred

I think he's talking about Wolf

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: predxeno on Mar 28, 2015, 05:49:30 AM
Tbh, I always suspected that the reason I liked AVPR while no one else did was because of my affinity to the EU of the AVP franchise. 

I love the EU. Always have. It was my discovery of the EU that led to me getting more involved in the online community. I still loath this film

It's a matter of taste, I guess.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 30, 2015, 09:36:18 AM
I love the EU. Always have.

Same here.. At least the stuff from 1988 to 2010. I could do without the Hish mythos, or the Fire and Stone reboot.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 30, 2015, 09:36:18 AM
It's a matter of taste, I guess.

On THAT, we agree..

predxeno

predxeno

Dang, there goes that theory.  Out of curiosity, you guys staid you couldn't stomach a rewatch, which scenes couldn't you go through again?

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Everything besides Wolf in the ship.

Perfect-Organism

The pregnant woman scene was too much, and especially because it was just gratuitous.  If you're going to do something this groundbreakingly horrific, make the whole movie about it.  Otherwise it is just gore and devoid of any value, other than for sick people's enjoyment.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed